What is it worth (SX-1250)

Wow! I thought I was seeing you reply to yourself, and then I noticed we have bgymnastics and Wes_in_VA with the same member icon! :idea:

For future reference, viewers can see what I saw. It was an afterthought. :biggrin:

51CC7C4E-8BFE-423D-86B3-64BAE40FA087.png

Afterthought: In response to the OPs question, which is why I originally went to reply, the SX-1250 is a beast! However, if you haven’t done any maintenance such as checking critical parts known to degrade, driving power hungry speakers could be a risk. I didn’t look up your speakers. Just talking as a general rule of thumb.

Last edited:
For future reference, viewers can see what I saw. It was an afterthought. :biggrin:

View attachment 1338835

Afterthought: In response to the OPs question, which is why I originally went to reply, the SX-1250 is a beast! However, if you haven’t done any maintenance such as checking critical parts known to degrade, driving power hungry speakers could be a risk. I didn’t look up your speakers. Just talking as a general rule of thumb.

For future, future reference, this thread is old and the OP never came back to tell us if the shop sold the SX to him.

I just read the whole series of posts from this thread only to find out that there is no conclusion!!! The topic of an SX-1250 intrigued me, as I have one myself that I grabbed from a local thrift store a few years back, in good working and aesthetic condition, for $39.99.

Well, yours is worth a crap ton more $ than what you paid for it. :D

If I were you, I'd hang onto that thing, so in a way, it doesn't matter. If you're planning to sell it, then it varies by selling venue, and maybe your location, so it's worth what you can sell it for.

Love reading these old posts ... these are going for $2000 to $3500 on THAT site now - and I have a possible in on one - hoping to strike a deal. Pictures do this unit no justice - seeing this in person, seeing the size of it - it is just AN AMAZING piece of workmanship, history and a beautiful receiver.

I just read the whole series of posts from this thread only to find out that there is no conclusion!!! The topic of an SX-1250 intrigued me, as I have one myself that I grabbed from a local thrift store a few years back, in good working and aesthetic condition, for $39.99.
Well let's ping him and see if we get an answer!!

@saharajim what was your decision on the SX-1250?

Pics or it didn't happen...

Receipt and receiver.

Don't know what to offer, but the seems like many think the SX-1250 is at least as good if not preferable to the SX-1980 and parts are more difficult to source for the SX-1980.

The scenario of the shop selling something left for repair seems like it might not end well, but I presumably the shop would give the owner warning. The shop may not know the value at all -- all he needs to do is google, but he may presume it's the same as any old Pioneer since a gazillion different models were made. The owner is more likely to know the value. If the shop owner indicates he can sell, I would just ask him what he wants for it rather than make an offer.

Sorry for not reporting back guys but here is the result. I went back a month later to see what's up and was told by the new store owner that the employee quit and took the receiver with him. He stole it and when I told the guy what I would have paid him for it he was pissed. I think the employee had a plan from the get go. The search continues.

Since I started this post in 2017 I've since restored my sx-737 and it is a great sounding receiver so I can only imagine what a 1250 is like.

I just picked up a 1250 - over all not really bad - can tell the guy was a smoker :( but it will come up nicely I am sure - the right side is weak but I have not opened it yet - refuse to open it until I fix a Marantz 4240 I have been inon for a few weeks - the parts should be here Monday and going to hopefully have back together midweek. If it does not get fixed will be going on the block for sale as I can not wait to get into the 1250. I hope cleaning the pots and the relay will fix it - here is a pic of my SX 850 that I did a few years ago and sits nicely on a shelf as a nite lite in the back room when the grand kids sleep over LOL -

Attachments

• Pioneer SX850 (2).jpg
    Pioneer SX850 (2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 18
Since I started this post in 2017 I've since restored my sx-737 and it is a great sounding receiver so I can only imagine what a 1250 is like.
Are you thinking that the 1250 will be more of the same relative to the 737? The same, only bigger and better?

Most say that the older, smaller pioneer receivers sound the best. Just not as much power. Don't expect the same voicing nor better voicing.

I just picked up a 1250 - over all not really bad - can tell the guy was a smoker :( but it will come up nicely I am sure - the right side is weak but I have not opened it yet - refuse to open it until I fix a Marantz 4240 I have been inon for a few weeks - the parts should be here Monday and going to hopefully have back together midweek. If it does not get fixed will be going on the block for sale as I can not wait to get into the 1250. I hope cleaning the pots and the relay will fix it - here is a pic of my SX 850 that I did a few years ago and sits nicely on a shelf as a nite lite in the back room when the grand kids sleep over LOL -
Nice my 1250 is all done just need to start on the 2325 next

Back
Top Bottom