What is really "unobtainium" for the Pioneer SX-xx80 series models these days?

Taketheflame

Hey all,

As the title suggests, I'm curious what kinds of parts are considered "unobtainium", or hard to find for the Pioneer SX-××80 series?

Really curious, because I seem to read/hear a lot of debate between folks about the merits of the xx50 series vs the xx80 series models, and among them is that the 50 series is supposedly easier to find parts for/restore, but that seems to be a common sentiment in older AK threads and other sources - I seem to see "restoration kits" for both model series these days, so is this simply an outdated criticism of the 80 series?

Thanks!

Just some of the chips in the Tuner are not made any more, but they cross match to other chips that are easier to get hold of. I have always been able to find them.
The output transistors are no longer available, but you can use a slightly different package (TO3P) and do a small amount of engineering to make them physically fit.
So, if you want to get SX-XX80 series, then go for it...

Kevzep - How fragile (...or tough) are the output transistors? I'm not one to push gear too hard and blast the volume to stupid high levels, which I'm told is what wears them out.

It at least sounds like you're not SOL if they go out on these things...I have no immediate plans of buying another Pioneer (too many other things on the GAS list atm/only so much space), but I love my SX-950 enough that I might have to cave and add an 80-series model to the collection at some point - I'm told they're quite similar sounding, but that the bass is a bit tighter and top end has a bit more sparkle than the 50-series (just from reading up on them).

What can I say? This hobby is the ultimate rabbit hole and I'm hooked...:D

under normal operating conditions output transistors will last the life of the amplifier, there are many many 80 series amps out there with the original output transistors.
However, a proper restoration, new caps and new known suspect parts replaced will ensure reliability...

Are controls tough to find? I found one of these in a 1980:

index.php

Since I didn't have one in my pocket, I had to create an extension pin/socket:

ASK-144Repair.jpg

SX 1280 16.jpg[/ATTACH] SX 1280 13.jpg If you keep the 1280's transistors cleaned and resurfaced with a good silicone compound, they can last a long time. It is not very complicated to do this. Heat is the Devil in the works. A good silicone surfacing can help keep the cool. Here are a few images to give anyone an idea of what this process is like.

SX 1280 5.jpg SX 1280 6.jpg SX 1280 14.jpg SX 1280 15.jpg SX 1280 17.jpg SX 1280 33.jpg SX 1280 34.jpg SX 1280 35.jpg

Last edited:
You can see from the pics how dry and flaky the original silicone was. Before I put pieces back together I used some pieces of coffee filter to wipe down the excessive silicone. You don't need as much as shown in the pics. Here are a couple more.SX 1280 42.jpg SX 1280 42.jpg SX 1280 45.jpg SX 1280 45.jpg SX 1280 50.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, did you take off the old insulator (attached to the HS) and use new thermal compound between the heatsink and the insulators?
Seems to me it can be tricky to remove the old insulator without damaging it. Finding a new insulator can be difficult if you want to use mica.

Just some of the chips in the Tuner are not made any more, but they cross match to other chips that are easier to get hold of. I have always been able to find them.
The output transistors are no longer available, but you can use a slightly different package (TO3P) and do a small amount of engineering to make them physically fit.
So, if you want to get SX-XX80 series, then go for it...
Hi kevzep,
Do you have a suggestion for pa1001a replacement/equivalent?

iirc there was a Toko part KA???? that was said to be equivalent, you would have to search the threads for that. I have not verified this myself.
Apart from that, it is possible to use another more common parts such as a Hitachi HA11223, but it requires some changes, an adapter, to make it work.

Hi kevzep,
Do you have a suggestion for pa1001a replacement/equivalent?
I'd have to look through my notes, I have one for the multiplex and one for the IF chip.....I can't remember off the top of my head, none of them are currently produced, you have have to take a crap shoot on ebay...

The pa1001a is the stereo decoder chip and can be found in the entire series of xx80 models.
The pa3001 is the FM detector chip, and again, can be found in the entire series of xx80 models

The pa1002a muting and equalization chip in the tuner is the hard one to find, as it was only used in the sx-980, sx-1080, sx-1280, sx-1980 and tuners of that era. It is also prone to mysteriously die.

Sure wish I could find a pa1001a or equivalent.

Seems pretty hard to find...even tried the china pulled/used route.

Even have a socket installed for quick swaps...

Good luck, it might be a while unless you find a donor from a lower model.
What model do you have?

I am assuming this is directed to me.
SX-880(890)

Some just popped up on sleazebay. Not paying $50 for some knock off.
well now you know the price and you can buy a donor cheap and sell parts from it to recoup the funds to get your chip for less than the going rate. I don't know if those chinese ones for cheap will last past one power up of the receiver.

Back in this thread!

So - reading through it again (and some others), it appears that the following ultra-rare parts are...

PA1001A (Tuner)
PA1002A (Tuner)
PA3001 (Tuner)

...and the output transistors?

I vaguely recall reading something about how the lower level 80 series models (880 and under) and 1280 use some type of "power pack" ICs for the output, but that the 980, 1080, and 1980 use some type of discrete power output components instead? (That are easier to source)?

Is this true? Or do all of the 80-series models use the IC-type stuff for power output?

How hard is it to fab up alternative parts for the unobtainium ones? (I suppose if I have to ask....LOL) - Just curious if it's something a very skilled tech might be able to do?

I've seen a few of these 80-series models pop up for sale here and there...it's mainly the power output stuff over the tuner stuff that concerns me...

I do quite like my 950 - but I'm also tempted to scratch that itch and have both a 50-series and an 80-series model in my rig - I just need to know how much trouble I'm risking if the power output stuff does go.

How much power do you want? There's your exposure. I'm happy with my 45 watt SX-780. So I sold the SX-980 for three times the $ of the 780.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out more 780's were sold than any other receiver.

Back
Top Bottom