What is that one thing you own that suprised you the most.

Definitely my Realistic SA-1001 35 wpc Integrated Amp.

I bought this on a whim from a blowout table at a Radio Shack in about 1991. Well under 100 bucks. I was going to put it in the garage and forget about it.

As time went on, I realized what a great amplifier this really is. The amp is built like a tank with a great wooden case. Easy to service, well designed circuitry and well structured. I have recapped it about 5 years ago and have it set up in my living room with a Pioneer PL-514 table and Optimus 10 Speakers. I am currently using an old Technics Tuner but randomly check Fleabay for a matching Realistic Tuner.

In other residences I have a Yamaha CA-810 system and a McIntosh MA6900 System, but I have to tell you, the Realistic SA-1001 System holds its own very nicely. I'm super impressed.

I really am amazed at this amplifier. It has definitely surprised me the most of any gear I have ever purchased.

images

My Dahlquist DQ-20s ad DQ-10s.

The DQ-20 were a leap forward in my audio experience and always sound wonderful. When I rotate them into use and pick a new location for them, I'm surprised by how good they sound.

The DQ-10s are amazing in themselves, but what surprises me is what actually makes them sound great. I get surprised by what doesn't sound good on them too.

It'd have to be the Trio L-07D direct drive with Ortofon Rohmann LOMC cart.
I never knew vinyl could ever sound this amazing (credit must also go to the Trio L-08C pre-amp). The L-07D easily surpasses my old Linn Sondek LP12/Zeta tonearm/Koetsu black goldline cart combo with it's amazing up front SQ.. I wanted to get back into vinyl again and am so glad I took the plunge.. just couldn't be any happier at the mo!

I am having the same experience.
Acquired my L-07D back in April and every time I spin it I am shocked that it betters my two Oracle MKIV's.
The music just comes out of blackness and with the best dynamics I have heard.

Matt.............tubeornotube

My Audio Nirvana 12" ceramics in their custom built ported cabinets. Detail, rich, crisp, smooth detail. Love 'em.

Technics SB-L200 speakers. I bought them for next to nothing intending to flip them, but instead they lived in my main system for quite a few years before finally being displaced. Maybe one of the most under the radar speakers ever.

Currently, a little DIY LM3886 gainclone amp I paid very little for. Very little. And the Technics SL-10 a close second.

CDs played on 1970 Sansui speakers: like...wow.

NAD C-515 BEE cd player. Nice sound. Really nice really. Pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Adding a sub to full-range floor-standing bass reflex speakers with 12" woofers.

I never thought my JBL L100Ts lacked in bass ( -6 db 35 hz) but they do. There are a lot of distinct notes in a lot of music below, 40 hz, 35 hz, even below 30 hz that I never got to enjoy until I added a sub.

I smugly resisted subwoofers as boom-boom toys until I understood bass reproduction, now I realize I was an idiot.

Thinking of doing the same with my L80T3s. Only have 10" woofs in those and am thinking a sub would rock my world once properly balanced for my room.

What sub did you pair with the L100s?

Realistic T-120s, and the fact that I listen to them almost daily while my Smaller Advents sit unused.

Pretty unobtainable TT over here. Did you pick from a few of those or was it the only one you ran across? Really nice, BTW.

Many thanks.
It's the only one I've come across this year on Ebay UK.
I saw another L-07D on Ebay UK last year,but just couldn't quite make my mind up as it was courier delivery only and because of this it would've had to be assembled.

When this one came along,I thought it was an opportunity too good to pass up.. as it'd being fully serviced by professionals around 18 months back and was in great cosmetic condition.. The little used Ortofon Rohmann cart was a big plus too! Also,the seller agreed to deliver it/set it up for me if I won it (I'd dread to have this TT delivered by couriers).
BTW,It's kinda strange they're so mega rare in the U.S.

My Genesis 210's . No matter what speaker I compare them to . the Genesis has always held it's own in sound quality .

The broadband absorption panel....by far. Game changer is an understatement. Profoundly affected the hobby for me more than any piece of electronics or pair of speakers.....and I've had the good fortune to experience some fairly interesting stuff. All of it was a given a fair chance to show its true sonic capabilities thanks to the absorption panel (ok, several absorption panels). Without them performance was disappearing like a fart in the wind...and I didn't even realize it.

Last edited:
For me, it's this sweet little pair of Jamo E800 speakers. I picked them up for peanuts and they are quite unbelievable.

They are part of my desert island system. (you know the system you take with you to a desert island when you aren't coming back)

They are detailed, articulate, never confused with massed orchestral pieces or intimate Jazz right through to classic rock. They are currently my mini reference speaker in the current lounge room rig, each hooked up to a mono Sony TAN77es power amplifier, a TAE77es preamp and an X7esd CD player.

attachment.php

Attachments

• jamo E800.jpg
    jamo E800.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 208
A set of Nuance C3 that I got for a song. After all the negative reviews online and anyone I talked to saying they are garbage and to stay far away....
I have them hooked up to my restored Kenwood M1 C1 and they sound so good that they replaced a set of Energy Pro 22 with original tweeters.

Attachments

• 20140818_222527.jpg
    20140818_222527.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is my game changer. I'm running a vintage Pickering/Stanton 380 cartridge on my TD124/II. Thoroughly lovable cartridge with performance that has amazing 3-d fidelity and playback. The bass really kicks!! I have a soft spot for Stanton/Pickering cartridges ...

Attachments

• TD-124 II Stanton 380 2.jpg
    TD-124 II Stanton 380 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 43
My new, to me, Thorens TD-318 with Ortofon OMB-20 has been a really nice surprise. I've been through a Technic's SL1700, Project Expression, Rega RP3 and a Project Debut Carbon.....Denon DL-110, Ortofon Salsa, Denon 103 and had finally given up but couldn't stand the sight of all my records just laying around.
Really remarkable sound from the Thorens/Ortofon combo. I've played more albums in the last week than in the last two years.

Almost everything i bought from Pyle

They get such a bad rep everywhere.
Why?
I have $90 Pyle subs that keep up with $200 Kicker and Fosgate 15's
Im not kidding, where else can you find 600RMS DVC 18 inch brand new for $90?
And i beat on them ALL DAY! I dont get it.

And their amps are solid too... but noisy ass fans.

Out of 3 Pyle amps and 13 Pyle subwoofers ALL of them are still WORKING!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom