1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What is that one thing you own that suprised you the most.

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by vintage 5.0, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Superampman

Superampman AK Member Subscriber

Hmm, interesting. Would that stuff prevent oxidation/corrosion? If so, say goodbye to the cable debates.:)

Brand name?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Superampman

As per the op, it's that Charlie Byrd direct to disc 45 LP. I have not been amazed since...around 1980.

3. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I agree 100% as those Magnavox console pulls truly are astonishing. :thumbsup:

4. Rybeam

Rybeam Super Member

Little 2-way Bowers and Wilkins DM 302. Amazing sound for the price and size. Made in 1998, they are a steal in the used market now IMO.

5. gizzyman47

gizzyman47 Super Member

My ESS amt 1 speakers put a smile on my face everytime I hear them. Need to get them back to original cosmetic condition and back into a system.

6. kvining

kvining Active Member

The one thing I own that's surprised me the most is the Pioneer SA-5800 amp I picked up for chump change on eBay. It's not one of the TOTL units by any stretch but it sounds surprisingly good with any set of speakers I pair with it.

7. Poultrygeist

I was surprised at how good $45 could sound. Here's a $10 TPA3116 amp paired with a $35 6n3 tube preamp.

P5250011.jpg

lokerola and musichal like this.
  8. Extremesam

Extremesam New Member

Would have to be my first DAC. It was the NAD wireless. Blew me away about much it improved the sound quality. Then I bought a Sanskrit and it sounded even better. I have to peak sooner or later.

9. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

Dynaco (by Panor) PAS-4 preamp. I purchased a Marantz CD player from a guy and he offered to throw in the PAS-4 for something like $100. This was back in the late 1990s. It was only a few years old but was non-functional. Turned out that the only problem was a bad solder joint on a 6DJ8 socket. Fixed it and installed Amperex USN-CEP 6922s. It has been a wonderful addition to my system for 20 years now. I had a couple of $2K'ish preamps in for trial and didn't buy because I liked the PAS-4 better. I've seen them selling recently in the $1200-$1400 range.

Extremesam likes this.
  10. Superampman

I have a pair of 17watt Electrohome 7189 organ monos that outperform my Fisher SA-100.

Poultrygeist likes this.
  11. bobins08

bobins08 Loving the dream Subscriber

When I came back to vinyl in 2011. Thanks to AK, vinylengine, and the internet I learned how to select a cartridge that properly matched my tonearm, how to align the stylus tip to reduce tracking errors, how to set VTA, azimuth, and anti skate ... So I bought a Denon DL 110 on line and put it on a Yamaha P751 that had been in its box for 20 years and I was totally blown away. Listening to vinyl sounded better than ever before.

12. SteveA

SteveA Super Member

Phono amp.
    Was convinced that an expensive phono amp could not possibly be 'that much' better than my Dynavector P75 Mk1 which cost only 15% as much.
    Ignorance may well have been bliss but I ended up accepting offer to try the one I was casting doubt over at home for a week.

Expensive decision.

13. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The first time I sat in front of my Magnepan SMG's after restoring them. I had never heard a pair of maggies until that moment. My jaw dropped!

14. Poultrygeist

My engineer friend in Charlotte sold highly modded playstations on A'gon for awhile and when I gifted him a tube tester he passed this SCPH-5501 on to me. I had played around with stock SCPH-1001's and thought they sounded pretty good but this modded unit was a real surprise. It has all the "Dogbreath" mods and I can't say what other mods but it weighs twice as much as a stock unit. It has a built in remote and the Apple logo is only there to cover up the PS badge.

P2100006.jpg

15. 3db

3db Active Member

My 30+ year old Yamaha cassette decks that I purchased used a few years ago. I'm amazed how well they record and playback.

16. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

Some things that have amazed me a bit:

1) How good vinyl playback can be if good parts are in place throughout the source chain. In my early twenties/thirties went budget almost exclusively, now not so budget and I know how to set up a TT. Astonishingly good sounding now, no comparison to how I listened when younger and dumber!

2) That electronic crossover choice and modifications made to stock unit can impact the overall SQ so much. Biggest impact to overall SQ in system development to date for me I would estimate would be this item.

3) AE speaker drivers are the Schnitzel!

17. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

1984 JVC boombox.

18. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Realistic Nova 6 speakers. They have no right to sound as good as they do. I have other units that sound better, but not for the size.