What is the best integrated amp you've heard?

The best integrated amp I've ever heard would be the Sansui AU-X1.
It sounds incredible with high quality interconnects and CDP... Just so much depth and detail with a real nice upfront,wide-open soundstage.

A friend of mine has a AU-X1 mated with Celestion Ditton 44's. I agree the best sounding amp I have ever heard.

Also the Denon PMA1500.

I'm not too much of an integrated amp guy, always seemed to gravitate to separates, but there are a few that I've played with that have left a positive impression. Years ago, I had a Philips 388 that I thought was a really good sounding amp, and nice looking too... can't imagine what I was thinking getting rid of it. I've always admired the sound of the Conrad Johnson CAV50, then again, I'm fond of most CJ gear. If you have pretty sensitive speakers, and like a classic vintage sound, the Scott 299s were very cool little amps too... better sounding than you'd expect from their period, once they're recapped & brought up to spec.,they can give more recent amps a fair run for their money!

Last edited:
I don't have much perspective as its my first amp, but I love my Harman/ Kardon PM660. From what I've heard it's pretty well regarded.

I have a McIntosh MA6600. Although I like it a lot I would trade it in a minute for a MA8000. The McIntosh MA8000 is big, powerful, and sexy. It also has a built in MC phono stage and dac. :yes:

I bought an Onkyo Integra A-8057 brand new, about 27 years ago -- still enjoying it, all 65 watts/channel of dual mono sound!

For vintage that would be a Sansui au9500. Next best would be the au11000 running a very distant second. At the very bottom of my heap full of also rans would be the Kenny 907. Great build quality does not always equal great sound.

My vote goes to the mighty Kenwood Supreme 600. Very uncoloured and and smooth.
The pre-amplifier in the Supreme 600 is a gem.

I bought an Onkyo Integra A-8057 brand new, about 27 years ago -- still enjoying it, all 65 watts/channel of dual mono sound!

I was lucky enough to find it's bigger brother, the A-8087 and it constantly amazes me. I have yet to find anything it can't do well. It's one of those rare beasts that makes hearing the difference in the source obvious. And by the same token, when that source is really good, it just takes me to another place entirely.

As far as new ones go, I heard and liked the Cambridge and Rotel, but I couldn't tell you model numbers and I don't think they sounded as good as my Sansui AU-11000 and AU-9900. Nothing that made me want one. The sound of the Sansui has such a sweet top end that it makes you want to turn it up louder to get more of it. I have not heard any new integrated that did that.

While it has some other quirks, the ONKYO A-7090 has a surprisingly good amplifier section, as good as any integrated i've heard in it's power range. The small pots and switches were of marginal quality and can be problematic. The faceplate lettering will fall off if you look at it wrong.

But, it has one very sweet dual mono amplifier section, and the volume pot is the same big enclosed Alps model that is used in several upper end preamps of the same era.

My vote would be the NEC A-10II... of all the integrated amps I've heard/owned personally.

Last edited:
I have a limited experience with integrateds but really like the sound of my Peachtree Audio Nova125. Would love to hear the Lebon & Luxman units though (I have a few Lux recievers).

I'm still greatly enjoying my Musical Fidelity A5 Int Amp - gobs of headroom, firm control of bass, spacious and smooth soundstaging.

And the HT Direct feature is just plain cool for the hybrid music/HT setup in my family room.

Not much to look at but as far as sound, the Eico HF-81 integrated is a great sounding little amp. Those things will hold their own against a lot more noteworthy amps. If I ever end up with a pair of efficient horn speakers I think that would be the small amp I would find to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom