What is the best integrated amp you've heard?

A Pioneer SA 9900, I bought new in the late 70's, I ran a pair Altec 19s. I didn't realize just how good it was, till I sold it to get a Spec1 and 4. Sound wise it blew that pair away and had more headroom.

Maybe not the best I've heard, but definitely the best I've heard and could afford :)

10763654.jpg

Doesn't have a phono stage. Doesn't have a headphones socket. Doesn't have tone controls. Doesn't have protection circuits. Pain in the ass to make the interference from other gear go away. But if I were to sell all my amps but one, this is the one I would keep.

This one:

Leben-CS600-Integrated-Amplifier.jpg

Bar none!

Not only that, this integrated is a tactile thing of beauty. It exudes quality and satisfied my sense of touch.

I was out auditioning speakers with my son this past weekend and came across this beauty. We had been commenting to each other how "cheap" (for lack of a better term) some of the new gear "feels". For example, the volume knobs on the Rouge Audio Perseus Magnum Pre-Amp and the Rotel RA1520S feel like toys that will not last very long. Not a high quality feel IMO.

The Leben on the other hand caught the attention of my hands. It is a solid machine. The smaller knobs are strikingly similar to those used in the Sansui Professional/Definition Series. Unfortunately, the shop owner was setting up an audition for a previous customer and we didn't have time to wait. I wanted to hear it driving a pair of Devore Orangutans so that my ears could be as happy as my fingers were.

As for other integrated amps, I'll have to go with the Sansui AU-719 & AU-717 we own. One cleaner, one warmer but they both feel and sound excellent.

Last edited:
Best one ive got is a 1964 Eico 2080 classic series integrated tube amp..very,very heavy!great iron..and we all know how that contributes to incredible sound reproduction!

Best integrated? Difficult to say but there have a few that while not ultimate in sound quality were very well balanced:

Any of the EICO integrated tube amps
DYNA SCA-35
McIntosh MA6100

Never had one but had the preamp and heard the power amp. The integrated was a combo of both so, I would suspect the Mattes would make the list. Also, the Sherwood SEL-400.

Those I have had and loved:
Luxman L-1000
Sherwood S5000II

And, maybe the most favorite, the Sherwood S9500c. Good enough to replace my McIntosh preamp and power amp and never miss the pair. Never thought that would happen.

I am not an integrated follower for the most part so there are many out there I have never heard of never mind auditioned.

That HF-81 looks magnificent however, ya gotta do something about the stock cheap stock EICO knobs. For me they were a total turnoff. Always thought a set of the knobs from the late McIntosh tube and early ss vintage periods such as the C26, 20, etc. Would look like the cat's meow on these EICOs.

That HF-81 looks magnificent however, ya gotta do something about the stock cheap stock EICO knobs. For me they were a total turnoff. Always thought a set of the knobs from the late McIntosh tube and early ss vintage periods such as the C26, 20, etc. Would look like the cat's meow on these EICOs.

Interstin idea. Are they an easy swap?

Here's the underside. Lots of Russian PIO caps. Craig used shrink wrap to isolate them.

My Eico HF-81 after Craig from NOSValves and Dan Nicotera put their spells on it :music:

Nice. I had one as my first tube set-up 25 years ago. I never thought it sounded all that good, probably due to needing some work (what did I know about such things then?) and having unsuitably inefficient speakers to match with it. I wandered off through a couple of HK and then to CJ separates where I've stayed ever since.

I never tried but, I suspect they would be a direct fit. Both used CTS copntrols and back then shafts were standard sizes generally and both from memory had half shafts. The difficult part might be locating the knobs at a reasonable price. I prefer the earlier knobs to the later series such qs used on the C78, etc.

Nice. I had one as my first tube set-up 25 years ago. I never thought it sounded all that good, probably due to needing some work (what did I know about such things then?) and having unsuitably inefficient speakers to match with it. I wandered off through a couple of HK and then to CJ separates where I've stayed ever since.

When I first got my Eico I wasn't impressed either. Had Dan Nicotera from Yahoo group do a bunch of work on it. He did the nice reworking of the back interconnects, put in new Heyboer trans, and high end Auicaps. But he likes to increase value of coupling caps to "improve" bass. It sounded nice but I was not impressed. I like bass bloom. Oh Dan also relocated phono section and it is absolutely dead quiet.

Craig said the higher value caps, and high end Auri were all making it "bright". So after procuring the necessary PIO caps off it went to Craig. He also replaced a bunch of resistors with carbon replacements.

When I got it back and connected it to my Fortes I just giggled to myself. It now sounds crazy good!!!! It's going to the grave with me :yes:

I would keep the stock knobs. It is, after-all, how the amp should look like.

There is something "ugly but beautiful" about the appearance of an EICO. I have the ST-70, complete with original knobs, and I wouldn't change anything.

I think EICO looks like it means business.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just my opinion.

I would keep the stock knobs. It is, after-all, how the amp should look like.

There is something "ugly but beautiful" about the appearance of an EICO. I have the ST-70, complete with original knobs, and I wouldn't change anything.

I think EICO looks like it means business.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just my opinion.

I am one for originality :thmbsp:

I have 5 integrated amps. The Sonneteer Orton is in a whole higher league than the others.

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 11
Is it me, or does Eico look awfully similar to Leak Delta amps?

On that note, one of my favorite amps, LEAK Delta 70:

9852401.jpg

Just got a set of knobs, so it will be all-original as soon as I have time to replace them :)

Back
Top Bottom