What is the "Best Sound"

This has always been a difficult question for me. You read the high end audio mags and they talk about soundstage and depth and presence and imaging, but just what does all of this mean?

How many times have you thought about any of this when you were standing close to center stage at a concert? Whether it was a local venue or a big buck band Like the Stones? I never cared about any of that hype, I just wanted loud, in my face rock that moved me. Heart stopping bass and unbelievable decbel levels. Even the quaint clubs that I have gone to with the best local R&B talent or Jazz. It was all about the music. The wonderful sound coming from the tube loaded Fender amps, that spank of "in my face" live drums. That is the stuff that moves me.

For years I have searched for the answer. I have never found that "live" sound in the audio gear that I have owned. The only avenue I have not ventured down is that of the horn loaded sound such that Klipsch and Altec offered. I will try that next.

So what moves the folks that discuss audio in this forum? Is it the hype or is it the music? Have you discovered musical nirvana? Would you share your thoughts?

I am just wonderiing....

Ray

Ray the kind of sound you seem to be searching for would probably be best handled by big Altec or Klipsch speakers with horns , big 15" woofers and lots of SS power.

Mike

well for one, if your in a club or a concert, your not just sitting in a nice chair doing nothing but listening, maybe if you turned it up and started dancing and had a few drinks with friends it would remind you of the club :D

I think the music really matters, some records i listen to but i dont really groove with, some (like the Eric Claptopn one more car, one more rider disc 1) i listen to and i just get really excited and im "gruven" with the music. That is a live album so maybe its just the excitement and stuff that the musicuans have that comes into the room when i play that cd.

For years I have searched for the answer. I have never found that "live" sound in the audio gear that I have owned.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...not once have I ever left a live concert (even a good one) and thought to myself, "Gee, I wish my home stereo sounded like that".

In my opinion High fidelity in your home should aim to replicate the sound of real instruments and a real voice (non amplified) in a concert hall. (I hate amplified vocals, you know they start with that, then have to raise the level of all other instruments and all become too loud)

For me open air over-amplified concerts is the worst soundwise.

Originally posted by EchoWars
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...not once have I ever left a live concert (even a good one) and thought to myself, "Gee, I wish my home stereo sounded like that".

You should go to a Chamber Music concert once in a time. Those are usually not expensive like deluxe concert halls are even Rock concerts, and since they usually are relatively small halls so there's no 'bad seats'. Nothing beats the sound of a string quartet 10 meters away from you, the sound will give you tears in your eyes. And you leave the hall with a nice feeling without sissing-ears.

I'm a student and go every week! You pay a little over the price as you would in the cinema. The problem is, if there's such a place in your area! There're in London, I think Amsterdam too, and 'De Rode Pomp' in Gent. I don't know abroad Europe.

Do check out small, intimate jazz clubs...

, chamber orchestras in older churches, symphony orchestras in remodeled older movie theatres and the like. Likewise, a marching band outdoors can be a sonically stunning experience.

I remember this last one from my days at Keesler AFB where the Air Force band was stationed. ...had to stand in formation on the way back from classes to listen to 'em. IT ws a pain, but at least the sound was good.

Do NOT check out stadium concerts or virtually any concert that depends on electrical sound reinforcement for the bulk of the sound. A little subtle reinforcement is passable, but when the bulk of the sound comes from the speakers, you've got a problem.

You people should check out symphony hall in Boston. Holy Moly! That place sounds incredible.

I seem to have lost my soundstage meter and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere, even E-bay shows nothing.... So I'm stuck, if I can't measure it I can't see if I can improve it.

:confused:

Lefty

Yes, you need to start looking at horns.
I had always felt the same niggling sense of disappointment that you describe. Then I found the Altec A-7. It did drums right, but I felt there was a hole in the bass somewhere and wasn't completely satisfied.
Then Klipschorns. Too brassy sounding, but I was getting closer.
Now I have a pair of JBL Studio Monitors with double 15 inch bass drivers. I'm finally where I want to be.
I don't think I can make an improvement without spending an unreasonable amount of money.

We're also talking a serious power investment here too. Get into electronic crossovers so that you can bi or tri amplify your speakers.

Back
Top Bottom