What is the best vintage receiver for speakers Dynaco A-25 ?

ligPeccatum

Hello everyone!

I hope you all are doing great. This is my first thread and I would like to take advantage of your immense audio knowledge to ask you what you think the best vintage receiver is for a pair of Dynaco A-25. :idea:

I have in mind the Marantz 2270 or the Sansui Eight. I am willing to spend until 750-800 dollars.

Any thoughts on this? Any suggestion?

Best regards :)

Last edited:
Those receivers would probably be great. Another option is to go Dynaco separates. You could probably do that within your budget with PAT-5, Stereo 150, FM-5. Tube options exist as well, but I'm not an expert on the Dynaco tube gear. Others here are.

Thank you very much for your response. :biggrin:

I never saw those one over here in Montreal though. It is time for me to look for.

Last edited:
A Fisher receiver/integrated would be nice - 400/500B/500C/800B/800C/X101B to name a few.

Along the lines of matching to other Dynaco components, a ST-70 amp would be good, though I might go with another preamp than Dynaco.

I drive my A-25's with a Fisher 800B and for my ears, it is a very good match.

Hello everyone!

I hope you all are doing great. This is my first thread and I would like to take advantage of your immense audio knowledge to ask you what you think the best vintage receiver is for a pair of Dynaco A-25. :idea:

I have in mind the Marantz 2270 or the Sansui Eight. I am willing to spend until 750-800 dollars.

Are you lookin for collectabilty or bang for the buck? What features do you want?

I use a Marantz Model twenty-six,with my Dynaco a-25's. It seems a very good match, depending on your room size.
I listen daily, great sound.

Hello everyone!

I use a Marantz Model twenty-six,with my Dynaco a-25's. It seems a very good match, depending on your room size.
I listen daily, great sound.

[/
Just bought a Harman Kardon Citation receiver.
Been looking for one 5 years now. Due to be here this week end. Hope it's all that it's cracked up to be. Found some specs,
4hz to 100khz frequency response.
85wpc.
Damping factor 50.

Have had many Pioneer receivers.
Sx 1250
Sx 980
Sx 3800
My current one Sansui 7070.
It sounds better than any of the Pio's I've had. Playing it through a pair of big Studio Labs. Looking forward to this Citation.
I hear it's build quality is awsome!
]

Within your price range I've purchased a Crown PSL2, Power Line Three, and FM2. For less, I've acquired Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four, Pro-Power-Four, and Pro-Tuner Four. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your definition of "vintage".

Ran A25's with a Marantz 2245 about 10-11 years ago. The OP has probably long since made his decision but i would vote for the 2270.

Its funny,
I was thinking, we collectively don't agree a lot here.
I don't remember hearing (I'm not saying it didn't happen). Anybody knocking down A 25s.
I never had or heard (my father might've had a pair when i was very young. I'm not sure)
They must be pretty special. (Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing them to your favorite uber buck speakers. Just thinking they must do alot right:idea:

I would avoid most 70's 80's solid state gear. Dynaco tube gear sure but not the solid state. Solid state gear from that era tends to be muddy, congested, but at the same time etched, shrill in the upper end of the frequency spectrum. Solid state from the late 80's and up from the likes of Adcom, Parasound, Hafler, B&K, Rotel are all good choices. NAD sounds good but I see so much on EBAY and Craigslist that is for repair I would be leery. Tubes are my first choice. Vintage tube gear is getting harder to find at reasonable prices but if you are resolute you can still find it. Dynaco is great but receivers or integrated amps from Fisher, Scott, Eico, Sherwood, Sansui, Pioneer, Allied, Lafayette, Knight, Pilot are the biggest bang for the buck. I picked up a Fisher X202 integrated amp ( 7189 based not a "B" or "C" ) and later a Fisher 400 receiver which I drive Vandersteen 2ce Signatures with no problem. My room is not huge but not tiny either it's 14'X18' and open to the kitchen which effectively makes it 14' X 34'. I listen to orchestral music, chamber music, acoustic, vocals, rock, jazz and fills the room with power to spare. Solid state just doesn't have the "BLOOM" that tubes provide that must be experienced to understand or appreciated.

I've used A25s with a Marantz 2270 and found it to be a great pairing. They worked nicely with my ST-70 as well. Less tube power left them sounding a little hungry for more power.

I would avoid most 70's 80's solid state gear. Solid state gear from that era tends to be muddy, congested, but at the same time etched, shrill in the upper end of the frequency spectrum. Solid state from the late 80's and up from the likes of Adcom, Parasound, Hafler, B&K, Rotel are all good choices.

First time I have read that the later vintage golden era gear is muddy and congested. I would think there are a large percentage of folks that would have a somewhat different opinion. I do agree that the earliest ss gear isn't the best but by the late 70s it was getting dang good and there are quite a number of units that sound very, very good. Low distortion, good clean, clear sound without the etched, shrill sound you mention. There are a number of brands that did this but not all. I would put a number of these units up against that adccom, parasound, hafler, b&k rotel gear you mention, too. I just hope my HK stack is late enough to avoid all those sonic issues you claim the older vintage gear has through most of the good years.

I run my Altec Model 19s with Sansui G-8000 and G-9000 receivers and never have heard any mud! I will agree they do sound a bit warmer under tubes but to be honest I find tube gear to be far too hard to maintain for a non tech audio guy. The top gear from the mid to late 70s or what I consider the Golden Age of Stereo changed the entire listening experience for many hear who can still hear. Both of my Sansui receivers are now 40 years old and they both just want to sing after all these years. What they lack in today's audio spectrum is connectivity but where pure stereo is concerned they still rock loud and clear.

Back
Top Bottom