What is the capacitance of your screwdriver?

archie2

Addicted Member
Or, "The revenge of the discharge screwdriver". I have seen many videos of how not to discharge capacitors using screwdrivers. For Christmas one of my gifts was a 90 second charge time cordless screwdriver by Coleman. It uses a capacitor instead of a battery and really comes to full charge in 90 seconds. The capacitor discharges and runs the screwdriver. All right.

I wounder if the cap will last longer then a battery or it will get to were it will not charge fully like battery's do .

Barney

I wounder if the cap will last longer then a battery or it will get to were it will not charge fully like battery's do .

Barney

Good for 500,000 charges and no need to wait for full discharge. Capacitors have no memory.

What kind of driver is that??:scratch2:

Coleman Flashcell.

Edit: It runs off an ultracapacitor, or supercapicitor. It's possible that audio amplifiers of the future will use this technology. AFAIK this is the first practical use of this new technology.

Last edited:
Very cool!...for a second I thought you were talking about discharging/welding caps and screwdrivers. The alternative is much better:yes:, that's snazzy.

I wonder if some Auricaps or Kimbers would make it screw better?:scratch2::D

Once they've broken in, and only if bypassed.
3.gif

First time I've heard of this. Pretty cool. I wonder if Paul Jr. Designs can hot rod this like their portable grill. :tongue:

For Christmas I got a pair of Air Hogs R/C helicopters that are powered by capacitors you charge up from the controller unit. 20 mins. charge and probably 10-15 mins. flight. Very cool! I'm glad to see the technology being used for practical stuff, but I love my battle choppers. They shoot each other down with infrared beam weapons even.

I got a Mini-Apache RC 'copter for Christmas. Can't get the darn thing to stop spinning around no matter what I do with the trim settings....sorta bummed.

Back
Top Bottom