what is the effect of an inline 2.2k resistor on cartridge loading?

stanwebber

all of my MM phono preamps have the standard 47k ohm resistance loading. i employ the trick of using rca Y connectors to add resistors in parallel to manipulate the resistive load lower. i want to use a switching box that will allow me to use multiple turntables with multiple preamps in any combination. i notice on the switch schematics that a 2.2k resistor is placed inline on all the box inputs.

i have a very simplistic understanding of all this stuff. from what i gather the inline 2.2k resistor will slightly increase the resistive load above 47k ohm on my preamp and lower the output voltage a bit? if this is the case what is the calculation to determine by how much? will some noise or distortion be introduced or subtracted? also, the additional cabling will add some capacitance, but not anything meaningful to the resistance?

if i then employ the resistors in parallel i assume the loading reduction will be from the new higher baseline above 47k ohm? does placing the parallel resistors before or after the inline resistor make any difference? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom