What is the most prone to flame wars topic?

What is the most prone to flame wars topic? Vote here!

• Digital vs analog

• Streaming vs physical

• Moving magnet vs moving coil

• Direct drive vs belt drive

• Cables make a difference vs all cables sound the same

• Technics Sl-1200 mk2 vs anything else

• Tubes vs solid state

• Specs vs subjective experience

• Other. Write your answer in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
And I'll add some members are doing their best to "Bait" others in this thread.

In fairness, I think most of the opinions and baiting have been lighthearted. I don't think anyone is trying to start an actual flame war... in a thread about the pitfalls of flame wars. The irony would be too much haha.

It is hard to truly be "wrong" about something in audio. If your system successfully reproduces recorded sound in a manner that you enjoy... Then you are as "right" as you need to be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. AK is filled with a lot of good people. I think we can get along just fine :D

Last edited:
Such a wise and intelligent face in that pic. Looks like a philosopher who's seen some $h!t. :D

Our Tiger Stripe was a stray too and was an extraordinary cat and wonderful friend while she was with us.

View attachment 1258812

But I digress! Pets are never a bone of contention at AK. Except for that one dude who crapped on the Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear thread because he didn't like cats. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Wasn't that the guy we buried out back in a kabuki speaker?

Thanks for the update, it seems to be what the top baiting is in this thread also.
It's cables. They're in that technology sweet spot between being too brainy to discuss (like electronic design) and being too simple to spin (like the little rubber feet under the chassis). There's nothing we can do about that other than obey the rules and make judicious use of The Cutting Edge.

"Magic cables" as I like to call them.

Yup, that is where the tech-heads and the big-spenders tend to bang their heads!

Do people still argue about that? FWIW I still use both, but always EMACS when it's available.
Well I use VI everywhere and find EMACS to be slower.

Heck every UNIX/Linux machine has VI. And you can't always just load EMACS on a server that you don't control.

So I just stuck it out with VI

Now one thing I will not use and hated back in the day was ED

What a horrible POS that thing was.

I guess if you are on a teletype in a cave somewhere down in Antarctica and need to modify code on a 10 baud connection maybe then ED.

Frannie

Hiya,

Well I already used this debate earlier (Couple years) in this topic.

So I will throw this one out.

Pastrami or Corned Beef ??

Frannie

Well I use VI everywhere and find EMACS to be slower.
When I used it on DEC mainframes and minis back in the mid to late '80s, yes. But current machines are so fast, and the underlying code relatively unchanged, that IMO, to a human, there's really no difference in speed now.

And corned beef.

"vinyls" vs "Records"
That's not a debate. Anyone who calls them "vinyls" is almost certainly under the age of 30 and probably using a Target all-in-one cd/record/radio that sounds like, and in fact IS, garbage.

Saying "I would like to have that on vinyl" - perfectly acceptable.
"That's quite a collection of vinyl" - acceptable
"I'm trying to build my collection of vinyls." - GTFO. Right now. Go. And don't come back.

I think it's when someone makes "vinyl" plural that I lose the ability to have respect for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom