what is the rarest Mcintosh piece

I recently came across the Mcintosh mcp-1 moving coil phono preamplifer on Roger Russell's website and knew as soon as I saw it I had to have one. after asking around I am finding that this is an extremely rare piece. This got me thinking about rare Mcintosh and wondering what was the rarest of the rare? what are the mythical beast of the mcintosh world, the pieces you have read about but have never seen in real life? pics(proof) would be nice if you can find them, thanks for playing.

Attachments

• mcmcp1a.jpg
    mcmcp1a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 526
  • mcmcp1b.jpg
    mcmcp1b.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 412
The first McIntosh speaker from the 1950s was produced to the tune of about five units. I think that's going to win for an actual production item.

wow id love to get that phono pre. a friend of mine had one with the mac cart and i remember it sounding great.

wow id love to get that phono pre. a friend of mine had one with the mac cart and i remember it sounding great.

oh man , I am lusting after this thing. I would love to hear one with the mcintosh cartridge, I would imagine the cartridge has to pretty rare as well.

The first McIntosh speaker from the 1950s was produced to the tune of about five units. I think that's going to win for an actual production item.

here it is , thanks to Roger Russell and his amazing website

the f100, 5 made in 1952, 2 known to exist today

ok this may be the rarest , but what are some other rare items? anyone?

Attachments

• f100.jpg
    f100.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,536
here it is , thanks to Roger Russell and his amazing website

the f100, 5 made in 1952, 2 known to exist today

attachment.php

Ok, I was gonna post that, but ya beat me to it. :)

The MC100 mono amps are pretty rare. I remember seeing a pair on eBay last year that caught me by surprise since I never even knew this model existed. The MC100 is basically 1/2 of an MC2100. I looked them up after that auction and I think I remember reading that there were around 400 total produced. To have a pair of them would be pretty cool. The meterless MC2250 is also fairly rare - under 1k units produced, if I recall correctly. This is just my recollection, and I could be off.

-Matt

Last edited:
The MC100 mono amps are pretty rare. I remember seeing a pair on eBay last year that caught me by surprise since I never even knew this model existed. The MC100 is basically 1/2 of an MC2100. I looked them up after that auction and I think I remember reading that there were around 400 total produced. To have a pair of them would be pretty cool. The meterless MC2250 is also fairly rare - under 1k units produced, if I recall correctly. This is just my recollection, and I could be off.

-Matt

wow those are some cool amps, I havent seen these before either. I love the look of the monoblock amps! wish I had a pair!!

I'd love a pair too

wow those are some cool amps, I havent seen these before either. I love the look of the monoblock amps! wish I had a pair!!

I agree completely and almost bought the ones that I saw on eBay. The rarity alone makes them interesting.

-Matt

There was back in 1980 a prototype hard wired 4 room remote system that was I believe beta tested in 4 dealerships GR,Cleveland, Rockville and 1 other. It was never put into production and we were allowed to sell our floor display.

There were 5 prototype moving coil cartridges that I had the privilege to open, inspect (with our Wild) and install and calibrate with Gordon Gow. These were the final mechanical designs in a Goldbug body with a Mac box and individual documentation initialed by the designer. Gordon took 1 and 5 back to the factory, we installed and used 3 that day as a demo (and for years thereafter) and he allowed me to sell 002 and 004. We used a Audio Technica transformer because the Mac MC preamp did not become available for almost a year.

I recently came across the Mcintosh mcp-1 moving coil phono preamplifer on Roger Russell's website and knew as soon as I saw it I had to have one. after asking around I am finding that this is an extremely rare piece. This got me thinking about rare Mcintosh and wondering what was the rarest of the rare? what are the mythical beast of the mcintosh world, the pieces you have read about but have never seen in real life? pics(proof) would be nice if you can find them, thanks for playing.

Ironically, we just got in an MCP1 from a customer! He never used it!

here's a list of units that we do not see too often

MC3500/MI350
50W2
MC100
MI200
MC40
MAC1500
20W2
R778 (a display unit from about 10 years ago)
.... I am sure there are more but these are units we don't see too often.

There was back in 1980 a prototype hard wired 4 room remote system that was I believe beta tested in 4 dealerships GR,Cleveland, Rockville and 1 other. It was never put into production and we were allowed to sell our floor display

Rockville huh? I'm guessing McGuire's?

Rockville huh? I'm guessing McGuire's?

Yes, the last time I saw John he was bringing around the midwest on his way back to Maryland , if I remember right, Peter Moncrief, who had introduced a loudspeaker line at the summer CES

MC3500/MI350
50W2
MC100
MI200
MC40
MAC1500
20W2

I was lucky when I came across my R778. I paid a pretty penny for it, but it's worth it every time I turn the system on.:yes:

well guys thanks to Ryan at audioclassics , audiokarma and this thread , I am now the proud owner of the Mcintosh mcp-1 moving coil phono preamp that I was dreaming about in my original thread! I am very excited to get this rare piece of Mcintosh history, even more excited to hear how this bad boy sounds! I will keep you guys posted.

MC3500/MI350
50W2
MC100
MI200
MC40
MAC1500
20W2

I will never part with my MC40's. I know others who feel the same way. That could be why you are not seeing many on the market.

Back
Top Bottom