What is the Trick for Photographing Vinyl?

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
I've been screwing around most of the day today trying to set up a space to photograph records. The damn things either reflect everything or catch the light wrong and look terrible. I've tried blocking stray light sources then adding controlled light but the photos still look like crap. How do you guys do it?

- Pete

I have an over head light that pivots so I can swing it across the top, front to back. I can then angle the camera and move the light to get the best effect.

The room in mostly natural light but dim.

Back off the metered EV by -2/3 stops and use my 430EX with light bounced off the ceiling and an OmniBounce diffuser. On my Sony I have to dial down flash intensity by about 1.5 stops. If you use controlled lighting make sure the light source(s) are diffused and at an angle that won't reflect back into the camera lens. If you are taking pix of LPs on the turntable TAKE OFF THE DUSTCOVER.

If you use a flash make sure the white balance on your digital camera is set to "auto" or "flash" (not on all cameras) or "sunshine." If not using flash adjust white balance to match your lights.

Post processing can usually fix an image - bring it back it black - as long as its not too far out of whack.

Last edited:
Just running an old point and shoot digital with no flash. Given the advances in digital, it's an antique.

When digital first started I got a Sony Mavica. The one with the disk drive.

640x480 pics.

Lighting did the rest.

$500 in 97!

Paid for it in a month of selling yard sale junk on eBay!

reflective objects are very diffulcult to photograph well. I once had to photograph a chrome yo yo for a catalogue. Big nightmare. I surrounded the object with white foam core and put some diffusion material over the top. Used a reflected strobe from above for lighting and poked a hole in the diffusion material for the camera lens. In that enviroment the yo yo reflected only white except for the lens. If you can build somethings like that it would make your record photographs cookie cutter where everything was set and all you would do is place and shoot.. Outside in open shade could also work the light could be very flat. Set out a table. Set up the record and shoot with no flash. Use a tripod if you have one.

Part of the problem is my work space is in the garage. It has skylights and windows so it's very hard to control the light. Same in the house. All the rooms have windows with the bright California sun streaming through. I'll try taking it outside. I hadn't thought of that. The side of the garage is in the shade until the late afternoon.

I'm using a point and shoot Sony camera. It has a lot of settings with an equal number of menus to step through to get to them. When using it on a tripod, I have to use the zoom and then it has trouble focusing but I can deal with that if I can get the lighting right.

- Pete

Shade is probably your best bet. The real old school way to do it is with polarizers on the lights and a polarizer on the camera, but nobody has that anymore. Skylight from a certain angle is polarized, as will be some reflections off a matte object, so if you're in the shade a polarizer on the camera alone can sometimes help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wound up building a light shield. The garage has skylights and windows so there is a lot of natural light and it changes as the sun moves across the sky. I made a 8'x8' frame from furring strips and covered it across the top and down one side with 15# roofing felt. Then I suspended from the rafter over a work table that I use for photography. The table has a bed sheet suspended behind it as a backdrop. The light shield and bed sheet block two sides and the top creating an alcove that is completely in the shadow. I can then ad light as necessary to get a good controlled reflection on the record. It works like a charm.

- Pete

Go all over your pad and take a picture of the album.....BAM! you hit it! :)

Back
Top Bottom