What is up with Daphile?

arbalest

So I downloaded and installed and had a few questions. But I have not seen a product (even free) that offers a lot of promise while still being completely opaque.

I checked the site for detail info but did see any. I clicked the "contact" link on the main site and ask where the info/manual/what ever is. No response other than the auto reply.

Found their wiki - it was set up a few years ago but there is hardly any content. I register for a user account which I get but still can't edit (what was the point of registering). So I can't even add what little I have discovered on my own or on the following forum.

Found their forum to be a 265 page THREAD at diyAudio. I posted several questions but none have received a response. And since the forum doesn't support alerts (that I can see) you have to scan the pages of the thread after your post to see if there is a reply.

I do have it running but would have to know more and make some tweaks before it can really be my server of choice. I know it's free but I have used plenty of free software with great community support. Maybe because it it not open sourced the community is limited.

Anybody have insights on how one becomes a semi-power user with this server?

Way I see it, you're talking basically a Squeezebox Server front end installed over Linux - with no support?

Run! ;-}

Maybe Logitech wasn't all that thrilled with Daphile and shut it down? I'm thinking Squeezebox Server may be orphanware as well, although their site shows an update with support for W10 and current Mac builds as well. Might be worth checking that out.

https://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

PS - looks like they're got a fairly active forum going for support. Some mention of Daphile as well in third party software, so maybe they can help.

https://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

PS - looks like they're got a fairly active forum going for support. Some mention of Daphile as well in third party software, so maybe they can help.

Interesting, thanks. As this is all new to me I didn't hadn't heard of squeezbox until recently. At the mysqueezbox site I didn't see any support information but I will look at it further shortly.

For now, the idea of a music server running on old under-powered hardware that can also be used as a NAS appeals to me so Daphile looked good. Bit perfect does not matter to me and probably never will. I can see mysqueezebox running on the windows machine in my home office does look like an option if it does some of the other things Daphile offers.

Actually they have a facebook page. Remember it is 3 guys doing this on their own time.
You should go to Computeraudiophile forum. They are very helpful there.
Ask I will try to help. Been using it as well as JRiver for 2 years now.

I checked out the FB page but don't see much Q&A going on over there. I spot checked the Computeraudiophile site and I see some of the same problem. One big thread with over 1000 posts then some random posts in other sections. I will do some searching and posting over there when I can.

It seems that if three guys who want a user base wanted to, they could easily 1) throw together a manual 2) open up the wiki so others can build a knowledge base or 3) find a forum that will be more official or at least host them with a similar range of services offered in the forum here (separate threads under the umbrealla of Daphile and alerts , etc).

As for my questions so far, one is about changing the root directory of the NAS functionality -- to make it clearly a separate function from just music storage. This may not be a problem but it rubs me the wrong way to make a myself a home network data back up directory tree which seems to only be able to be under a top level director called Music. Even a second top level directory called Other or Data or NAS or anything other than Music would make a lot of sense.

Next the idea of playlist creation is very unclear and so far it has been a matter of trial and error. I think I will wind up exporting playlists from iTunes then using a text editor or script to convert the strings describing the path to each song. But I am not even sure that will work -- I need to put more time into experimenting before I can even ask the right questions (that is where I see the problem of an undocumented system).

Check out the squeezebox community forums here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php

The LMS forum is 8th from the top.

Making a playlist is as simple as adding all the songs you want from your local storage by mousing over the song and clicking the "+" button and when finished clicking the save button (looks like a disk bottom right of screen). A menu will appear on the left side asking you to name the playlist. Give it a name and hit save. Your new playlist will be saved in the "Playlists" folder under the "My Music" folder which is on the home page. To play the playlist go to the playlist folder and highlight your new playlist and click the triangle (play button).

Remember, Daphile is LMS + Squeezelite running under Linux. When you need help with LMS you are better off trying to get help by googling LMS than Daphile. The Squeezebox community is rather large and active.

These gents have full time jobs and do this on the side.

I get that. But note that Linus Torvalds had a job when he was still the key person behind Linux (which he created as a student). Same with most other open source projects (Daphile is not open source). My point also is that in a semi-active forum, searching on something as basic as "where is the information" the matches I find are just other people asking the same question. What is it about these gents or their community where they don't even bother to answer "there isn't any" or, "it's over here"?

I appreciate that they are busy and all that. And I appreciate Audiokarma even more looking at all of these replies. In fact, I reply now and in other places in an overly verbose way because I know the value of that to others who might pass this way on their searching.

Thanks to Idatof, in the reply above, I now know that their work involves packaging stuff that they are not even involved in. That explains a lot. I am going at add another comment as a separate post here to make it stand alone.

One of the advertised features of Daphile is that it can also be used as a NAS (when it is not installed on a NAS).

I've used this feature but I am only able to create a directories UNDER the exiting directory called "Music".

Is there a way to create a similar top level directory (equal in level to Music) for NAS purposes (e.g., called anything else, like Data, Other, etc)?

Has anybody installed Daphile on a Mac? Following these directions on the site I can't get the .iso file written to a USB stick that will boot. All I could do was make a Daphile Live USB version. What am I doing wrong?

4.2 OS X

Launch Terminal.app and execute following command to nd out your target drive number (N).

diskutil list
Make sure that it is not mounted, replacing N with your drive number.

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
Run the following command, replacing N with your drive number. Please note here the use of “/dev/rdisk” instead of “/dev/disk”.

sudo dd if=/path/to/daphile.iso of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m
Before removing the installation media, it would be better to run following command, again replacing N with your drive number.

diskutil eject /dev/diskN

I'm having some of the same problems as OP. i installed daphile rt on an intel nuc, connected a usb dac (argon dac1), added my music to the library. So far so good. The music plays fine, very good sound quality. I can control the thing from my android phone with de free squeezer app and all is well. But, apparently it must be possible to use mysqueezebox.com as a remote too, and there one is supposed to be able to use plugins like tidal and other webradio apps and so on. I put the same credentials on both, but mysqueezebox.com doesn't find daphile as a music system. Everything is on the same lan, and i can't for the life of me figure out what's the problem. The fora are not much of a help, the wiki neither and the facebook page seems dead since half a year. Still, the new version I installed is only about 10 days old, so development certainly hasn't stopped. Anyone got an idea?

Back
Top Bottom