What is up with this innards of this 2270?

mantis

9c33_1.JPG

Looks to me like someone "updated" some of the components. What do you guys say? Worth going through bidding on or retract?

Ask the person who has the 2270 for info. Too many variables to say if you should or should not bid. New parts for nonworking parts and cleaning are genrally good things. Also the amount you are bidding is a factor.

If you want all original maybe this is not the piece for you as it looks like a few items are not original. One thing for sure, asking questions before bidding is the best way to go.

A couple of more pennies for the pile.

whyaskit said:
Ask the person who has the 2270 for info. Too many variables to say if you should or should not bid. New parts for nonworking parts and cleaning are genrally good things. Also the amount you are bidding is a factor.

If you want all original maybe this is not the piece for you as it looks like a few items are not original. One thing for sure, asking questions before bidding is the best way to go.

A couple of more pennies for the pile.
I do not necessarily care about it being all original as long as the sound is the same and it is good :)

One this is almost certain. If it is all original with no refreshing it will most likely NOT sound the way it did new. As parts drift caps leak resistors break down.

I recently had a Pioneer SA-9100 completely gone through by Pustlenaikr and the difference between the untouched one I have and the new one is Blatantly obvious. The same would hold true for this Marantz.

But the advice to ask questions is excellent you want to know something about something ASK.

As to retracting a bid WHY bid if you weren't certain you wanted it?

Mark W. said:
One this is almost certain. If it is all original with no refreshing it will most likely NOT sound the way it did new. As parts drift caps leak resistors break down.

I recently had a Pioneer SA-9100 completely gone through by Pustlenaikr and the difference between the untouched one I have and the new one is Blatantly obvious. The same would hold true for this Marantz.

But the advice to ask questions is excellent you want to know something about something ASK.

As to retracting a bid WHY bid if you weren't certain you wanted it?
Because I did not notice this difference until I looked back at one of alexkerhead's pictures- the listing said no such thing about any updates, the seller doesn't seem to know anything about it either just repair/cleaning. I still want the unit, I was just concerned for a moment because this issue came out of nowhere. If it does have newer parts, it should save me a bit of hassle later on- it looks like the power relay was updated in some manner and the caps replaced which sounds inline with what a repair would entail. Just checking with you guys :D

whyaskit hit it on the head ask the seller about updates if you don't like his answer retract your bid

I'll take a chance- seller has plenty of good reviews, price is decent, cosmetics are good- lets roll! =D

mantis said:
Well it is done, I won! The great experiment has begun :naughty:
Sweet deal mantis!

2270 is a fine example of awesome engineering that still runs with the big boys(in the receiver world) today.

It looks as if the filter caps were replaced, which is a good thing, original caps make the unit perform lower than spec, not good.

Cool purchase, and a belated welcome to AK.

It looks to be pretty much original. The gray main caps are probably original. Some of the early production 2230s and 2270s had gray caps.

And it's an early version of the 2270... probably made about 1972 or 1973.

Shain said:
It looks to be pretty much original. The gray main caps are probably original. Some of the early production 2230s and 2270s had gray caps.

And it's an early version of the 2270... probably made about 1972 or 1973.
That is my recent assessment- I thought about it for a moment and noticed a few things- firstly the speaker connectors on the back are not the black and red kind found on some of the newer 2270s, and the seller later informed me that he did not believe it had parts replaced. In either case, I think this will be a lot of fun! Either I get one of the early models in excellent shape, or I get an early model in excellent shape with some already fixed up parts :) I do not believe I paid too much for this particular unit, Ebay has had some crazy prices on units in greatly inferior condition- as a college student it was still too much, but if this thing does the trick and lasts a good bit I think I would say not enough!

Thanks to those who posted earlier- I was really concerned for a little while, but sometimes perfection is not what you had in mind.

Now that this thing will be coming, what should I get ready? I assume I should firstly learn about measuring and calibrating the various biases- would I be foolish to try this on my speakers without doing so? Thanks guys, I hope this thing kicks as much as you guys claim :music:

Updated?

Doesn't look up-dated to me. It looks like a European version. The give-away is the bank of fuses on the heatsink. And the back transformer block is there - so you can switch line voltages. It's an early Euro model for sure.

DH

mantis said:
9c33_1.JPG

Looks to me like someone "updated" some of the components. What do you guys say? Worth going through bidding on or retract?

I was going to say that the only thing out of line is the fuse bank..But if those were standard in the euro model than that makes sense. My 2270 also has grey filter caps..Not sure if they are original or not?

whsh93a said:
Doesn't look up-dated to me. It looks like a European version. The give-away is the bank of fuses on the heatsink. And the back transformer block is there - so you can switch line voltages. It's an early Euro model for sure.

DH
so what does that mean for me? Will this be a problem?
edit- and I thought the European models had black faces?

This looks like a normal European or BX/PX version. If it has black speaker terminals only it is an early version. Also the grey capacitors (9000uF 55V) are standard. Look at the serial number plate probaply a 50xxx serial and Voltages 110-120-220-240. Fuses are: 1 mainsfuse (that's why you won't find a mainsfuse on the rearpanel) 2 fuses for the dualwindings of the preamp voltage regulator and 1 fuse for the dial and function lights circuit.
From the picture the unit looks very clean, often you find rust on the tuner lid and transformer.

Helmut

Back
Top Bottom