What is up with this innards of this 2270?

I hear what you are saying but I do not understand what that means for me- the only difference between this model and say an early american model would be the addition of the ability to use this with different power schemes? Is that it? Would this give it any advantage? I found this old ebay listing with pictures of an early (6xxx) run 2270, and it looks different:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-2270-VI...4172528QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50596QQcmdZViewItem
It has the black box along the back side of the receiver behind the white/grey caps, but it doesn't have that additional board near the right heatsink. What is the purpose of that additional board? Why does this version have it and newer ones, or non-european models, dont?

Here are a few more shots:

Do they provide any more clues?

9cf4_1.JPG

9b67_1.JPG

No problem. Make sure you read the thread though. Apparently the manual needs and update ;).

Rick

Yes, the 2270 in that auction is confusing, because the serial plate says 120Volt, but it has the switchable xformer. The black box behind the caps. is were you select mainsvoltages. Maybe somone converted this 2270 with an international transformer?
All European versions have that fuse board because of national safety regulations. The way it is mounted shows that it was an add-on, not intended in the original design of this receiver.
Safety becomes more important with higher voltages, if you touch a 220Volt line, four times the energy will flow through your body than at 110Volt.
The aditional fuses will save your transformer, should there be a short in the lamp or preamp circuit, so i think the fuses are a good idea.

Goodnight, Helmut

Good for you, I hope she works well for you.

I saw the fuses and thought it might be add on, Didn't thing about the Euro market, makes sense. Every Marantz (a whopping 2) I have looked under the hood at had black caps so I thought that could be a change also. Thanks for the info guys.

All the earliest 2270's had the transformer wiring block in them. Marantz eliminated it in the American models early on. If you look at the 2270 manual, it has a pictorial describing how to change the mains voltages. A lot of units wthout the block still used the original transformer and it is still possible to convert them to 220V by hard wiring.

DH

ruesselschorf said:
Yes, the 2270 in that auction is confusing, because the serial plate says 120Volt, but it has the switchable xformer. The black box behind the caps. is were you select mainsvoltages. Maybe somone converted this 2270 with an international transformer?
All European versions have that fuse board because of national safety regulations. The way it is mounted shows that it was an add-on, not intended in the original design of this receiver.
Safety becomes more important with higher voltages, if you touch a 220Volt line, four times the energy will flow through your body than at 110Volt.
The aditional fuses will save your transformer, should there be a short in the lamp or preamp circuit, so i think the fuses are a good idea.

Goodnight, Helmut

whsh93a said:
All the earliest 2270's had the transformer wiring block in them. Marantz eliminated it in the American models early on. If you look at the 2270 manual, it has a pictorial describing how to change the mains voltages. A lot of units wthout the block still used the original transformer and it is still possible to convert them to 220V by hard wiring.

DH

Yes, that makes sense DH !
Helmut

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for providing that info. I am intrigued that this is a European model- quite odd. Glad that it has those extra fuses, sounds like a nice bonus should it work out OK. Just weird, I have reached the ends of google and back and couldn't find any information about european marantz variants at all- so without you I would have probably never known.

I do have a new question though- I am having difficulty finding a multimeter around here (i am at a school known for engineering and they wont loan me a multi!) so if I have to buy one how low can I go? Also, anything else to prepare for? Any type of special cleaner, any items I can buy in preparation for upkeep? Should things go well I may replace the bulbs with solid state equivalents later on- but I won't jump the gun :). Thanks guys, peace.

$5 multimeter from harbor freight would be suitable. Voltage(ac and dc), resistance(ohms), should be all you need for basics.

Back
Top Bottom