What is with the "B" in some Marantz model #'s?

herbman1975

This may sound stoopid, but what does the B in some Marantz model #'s mean?

i.e. 2215/2215B, 2275/2275B

What modifications were made to the original models that transformed them into "B's"?

This question has been around for years and lots of people have an opinion on the correct answer. But you know what they say about opinions! I have had about 20 Marantz receivers over the years and I have 10 of them as we speak. Some are Bs and some are not. I have come to the conclusion that the B is just another model designation and nothing more.

Other than a few new mods, often times "B" means silver dial rather than glowing blue.

There really is no rule of logic to the use of the 'B' by Marantz. In several cases it was a minor improvement to an existing model, as in 20 vs 20B tuner where they added a RF amplifier stage to the front end. However on many of the 22XX models the B and non-B model are totally different receivers with nothing in common other then the wattage rating. So my rule is the B models means it came out after the non-B model and nothing more can be inferred without proper research.

Lefty

What modifications were made to the original models that transformed them into "B's"?
Many 8's had catastophic transformer failure when they came out. B has better built transformers in this regard. Not all 8's failed and any left decades later IE: now would be fine I would think. That is all I am aware of.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom