Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
Stanwyck does great in an unusual role for her
Light hearted romantic fun

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947)
Delightful cast of characters

The Bishop’s Wife (1947)
Terrific interplay of characters
“Your prayer has been answered.
…That's not true. I was praying for a cathedral.
No, Henry. You were praying for guidance. That has been given to you”

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
Do I really need to comment? :)

Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol (in US) (1951)
Alistair Sim creates the quintessential Scrooge
The George C. Scott version is basically a scene-for scene, line-for-line clone of this. Why did they bother?

And wrapping around to the beginning, that is the end of my list.

Some common one's already posted but this is my list, in no particular order:
It Happened on 5th Ave
Miracle on 34th St
White Christmas
A Christmas Story

with obligatory viewing of the TV shows:
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Charlie Brown Christmas

WOW!

And I thought there was only the one..."A Christmas Story" (1983) reflecting the lives within a 50's era family before Christmas. ;)

Then there's "The Nativity" (2012)...which gives a moving historical account of the times.

Finally, "The Ultimate Gift"...which drives home the underlying meaning of Christmas.

All Yuletide movies to take in during this time of the year.

Q

Last edited:
True Lies
RED
A Christmas Story
NatLampoons' Christmas Vacation
Miracle on 34th St(original)
A Christmas Carol (1938)

Love Actually
A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
A Christmas Carol (1938)
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964)
A Charlie Brown Christmas

I got a few really nice ones I watch every Holiday

Runaway Train with Jon Voight
And
A Midnight Clear

Those are two I always watch Train coming up shortly(like next few days) then closer to Christmas or Pos. Christmas Eve is usually the spot for the second one (Midnight Clear) I have others but those are two that I watch usually alone because most people don't get it as far as the whole reason to watch during the Holidays.

HO HO HO

Canton

Christmas Vacation
(Chechik, 1989)

The Junky's Christmas
(Donkin, 1993)

* These two comprise the extent of "christmas" films for me.

I don't see all of these every year, but I see some of them every year.

White Christmas- A Bing Crosby classic
A Christmas Carol - Patrick Stewart's version is awesome, love the Alistair Sim 1953 film, and The Muppet one is fun for something different. If you've never read the story by Dickens, you should. It's a marvelous read.
Scrooged - I'm sorry, but this is such a fun take on A Christmas Carol. Bill Murray is a riot.
Jingle All the Way - A Schwarzenegger movie that I hated when it came out. But my son loved it when he was younger, and now it's grown on me.
Elf - Come on, it's fun. Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?
Christmas Vacation
A Miracle on 34th Street - Original in black and white, of course
A Christmas Story - Still a great movie, despite having seen it about 1,000,000 times
It's a Wonderful Life

Elf
Bad Santa
It's a Wonderful Life
That stop-motion "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" with the Heat Miser and Yukon, the prospector.

I forgot about the stop-motion shows. I loved those as a kid. Haven't seen one in years. Do they even run those any more?

Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol (in US) (1951)
Alistair Sim creates the quintessential Scrooge
The George C. Scott version is basically a scene-for scene, line-for-line clone of this. Why did they bother?

And wrapping around to the beginning, that is the end of my list.

The George C. Scott version is the definitive one for me. I'd assume it's a clone because they have the same source material. ;)

It was the version of my childhood, therefore it is the best version. :D

"MISTEEEEEEER CRATCHET!"

The narration done by the actor that played his nephew in that version and the main song they used for background music are foremost in some of my favorite childhood Christmas memories.

Along the lines of movies, does anyone still go to the movies on Christmas Day? I am not being out of line there was a time when people would spend a few hours at the Theater to watch a movie mid of Christmas. Lot of people have memories of those movies even tho they may not have been traditional holiday movies.
Canton

Along the lines of movies, does anyone still go to the movies on Christmas Day? I am not being out of line there was a time when people would spend a few hours at the Theater to watch a movie mid of Christmas. Lot of people have memories of those movies even tho they may not have been traditional holiday movies.
Canton

Here is a list of movies released on Christmas Day, only one of which is at all related to Christmas.
https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-movies-released-christmas-day

Back
Top Bottom