What is your favorite 10.5" reel design?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In another thread, I was discussing a potential tape purchase, and the conversation moved toward buying tape on a pancake reel and putting it on an existing 10.5" reel. Now I'm considering making my own reel plates to mount on the pancake. I'm fortunate to have access to a water jet machine, and I priced out a sheet of .050" aluminum. I think I could make a tool to chamfer form the bolt holes. I'd sure like to give it a try. What is your favorite reel design, or what reel do you think is the most captivating while spinning? Here are a couple I really like. The pioneer design really catches my eye.

Onebean

technics_10_5_inch_metal_reels_new_reel_to_reel_1_4_tape_custom_made_a3e6cf8e.jpg 842660-pioneer-pr101-105-inch-metal-reel-with-tape.jpg

I like that tilt back stand on the 909. I haven't seen that before.

I'm with you, I love the Pioneer 10.5" and the 7". Spinning or stopped they look great!

Onebean

A sheet of .05" aluminum 4' x 10' should yield close to 50 reel sides. That should carry me for a while. :cool:

Very cool, onebean. Do you find any difference in how the layers of tape on a reel will "stack" on an open reel vs a closed reel?

Meggy, that's a great question. I only have one 10.5" reel, and I've only measured the thickness of the sides. I would assume that the open designs vs. the closed designs stack the tape the same. One thing I was thinking about last night, was if the reel sides are flat, or if the reel sides are slightly crowned to lead the tape in easier. I'll need to do some reverse engineering on the reel I have.

Lots of beauties there. I too am partial to the Pioneer PR-101, and the similar style TEACs.

Very cool, onebean. Do you find any difference in how the layers of tape on a reel will "stack" on an open reel vs a closed reel?

Meggy, that's a great question. I only have one 10.5" reel, and I've only measured the thickness of the sides. I would assume that the open designs vs. the closed designs stack the tape the same. One thing I was thinking about last night, was if the reel sides are flat, or if the reel sides are slightly crowned to lead the tape in easier. I'll need to do some reverse engineering on the reel I have.

Absolutely zero difference unless one of the reels is insanely badly warped, or the tape deck being used is malfunctioning.

The Maxell double M reel is one I like on the Tandberg machines, just looks right. For the Crown the Scotch with three wide cutouts look right

Cutting a reel flange down to size from a tapeheads thread by the cutter, zugstar

watch

Let me get this straight..
You have afterhours access to a water-jet machine....?!?!
I see a couple of reel flanges with a pattern of musical notes..
A couple more cut with your name. ‘OneBean’
Maybe a couple with my name...
(PM me when done!)
LOL

Just thinkin’ out loud.

Graham

R-2-R, what hubs are on that 707?

Believe it or not.....years ago I happen to come across those small black custom Pioneer rubber hub adapters on Ebay. The price was right so I just purchased them. In all reality I've seen some small black common hub adapters but never custom with the Pioneer logo on them until I came across those.

Haven't seen any since then either.

For the RT-707/701 series 7" reel to reels they really are not necessary since they have built in screw type holder (which I think are fantastic!) but still I like the added look that shows on them.

Believe it or not.....years ago I happen to come across those small black custom Pioneer rubber hub adapters on Ebay. The price was right so I just purchased them. In all reality I've seen some small black common hub adapters but never custom with the Pioneer logo on them until I came across those.

Haven't seen any since then either.

For the RT-707/701 series 7" reel to reels they really are not necessary since they have built in screw type holder (which I think are fantastic!) but still I like the added look that shows on them.
Unique Pioneer accessory, we are gonna need a picture of that

Back
Top Bottom