What is your favorite Dual turntable?

Changing the motor out is not hard but keep in mind the 840 mounts may differ but it can work if you examine it carefully.

I have a Motor that supposedly came out of a 1237. I just looked at it, the only words on it say KS-4... I hope I have the right replacement. Got it for $22 on Ebay, so not a big loss if it's wrong, but totally a score if it's right (I think).

Last edited:
My Dad made a dustcover out of plexiglass for our old Miracord. What material are you using in that picture?
It is a Plexiglas. I am not the patient person who is building this. I was at the Dual shop and saw this so I had to photo it. It's a smoked Plexiglas. pretty thin like the original covers. It's great stuff you can do anything with. Making something glued with 4 corners is a art.

I have a Motor that supposedly came out of a 1237. I just looked at it, the only words on it day KS-4... I hope I have the right replacement. Got it for $22 on Ebay, so not a big loss if it's wrong, but totally a score if it's right (I think).
Good luck on the motor. I am not expert enough to know if it will fit. Bill at Fix My Dual usually answers the phone when called.

It is a Plexiglas. I am not the patient person who is building this. I was at the Dual shop and saw this so I had to photo it. It's a smoked Plexiglas. pretty thin like the original covers. It's great stuff you can do anything with. Making something glued with 4 corners is a art.
Beyond my skill. I can't measure or cut a straight line for squat.
I picked up a dustcover from Ebay. Not cheap, but when I figure for how much plexiglass I'd waste trying to build my own, it was a bargain.

My favorite DUAL has to be the 1219. Properly maintained they are a real joy to use and listen to. Very close behind is the 1229, 1019, 1228, and 1249. (I'm not rating any I've never heard or used).

I've owned several 1219s over the years but for some reason I always end up selling mine. My current DUAL is a pristine restored 1019, circa 1969. I won't be selling it. No, it isn't as "quiet" as my Thorens or Pioneer PL-570, but rumble is not a problem and that tonearm that looks like a heavyweight is actually an excellent tracker. Mine currently sports a Pickering XV15-750E with new stylus - a near perfect choice for the Dual.

My wife won't use my other tables but the Dual is fine for her. She has no problem with it. (Of course, with the PL-570 she only need push a button! I think the sheer immensity of the Pioneer scares her off. The 1019 is petite by comparison.)

Never say never. The PL-570 was traded for a Sigma lens for my Sony Alpha. I donated the 1019 to a charity auction and they got a very good price for it. I sold my beloved 1249 so I could get a beautiful 1229, which is now in rotation.

The 1219, esp the 2nd generation model, is probably their best idler drive machine, beating the 1229 by its relative lack of plastic parts. The 1219 uses metal in some areas where the 1229 uses plastic and is somewhat less prone to breakage as lubricants age.

But right now I have a 1229 and it's lubricants have been freshened and everything is near perfection. I won't ever sell it (unless etc.).

I hope the 601 I won in an internet auction this weekend will be the best Dual I ever own (haven't received it yet). ...but the only other Dual I have had is the 1225 I'm spinning at the moment :D.

Love my 1019, rebuilt by a former technician of Noresco Canada (Dual supplier in Canada). My 1215 with a Shure M-44 isn't too bad neither!

"My" favorite is my 606,,, I bought it new late 70's I believe... I also have a 502, which had the "motor speed" problem on startup... I remedied that with a diode and resistor fix I found online... But the 606/Empire 500 LTD is my favorite Dual, that I own...

My current favorite is my 622 direct-drive automatic. Super smooth mechanism and the sound is so transparent with the ULM arm with anti-resonator.

Perfect timing! I'm considering getting a 1215S and putting an M32E (same specs as an M44, with a different plastic housing) on it, but with an N31E stylus (0.2 x 0.7 elliptical with VTF from 1 - 2g).
If I remember correctly the S has the better arm like the 1219 - 1229. My 1215 takes a little time (15 - 20 Minutes) to reach correct speed. The 1019 however is spot on after 1 minute. The 1215 didn't had the same restoration level compared to the 1019.

Yup! I've had the 601 for just a week but can already confirm that it's my favourite Dual. Haven't own more Duals than two though :). The other one being a 1225 which is a nice performer too. But the 601 is kind of in a different league.
IMG_20181120_182829~2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom