What is your job/occupation/training?

Wow,

some really interesting stories amongst the crowd here. I didn't realise we had military men in our midst!

Anyone else game to share their background?

Tom Hoots? An old geezer like you gotta have some good stories to tell ... :D

Buzz, Mike ... ??

Well, as my moniker says I hang vinyl. Siding that is, yeah, it is plastic, but we try not to tell anyone. I spent 5 and a half years in the army, went to Airborne School graduated and was promptly sent to a mechanized unit in what was then West Germany, this was in '86. Spent 2 years there and basically drank 2 years worth of pay, it WAS fun though, so Thor, I know there of which you speak:puke:
Went to Fort Benning, got out, a few years in the Guard, quite the joke, this was peacetime stuff, sit around and play cards Guard.
During this time I decided to get an arts degree at the local community college, took art, flunked out after a few years, art is hard work:rolleyes: Then it was time to go to work, well at least after the unemployment ran out from the service.
I spent a spring digging graves, gives you a different perspective on death, just give me a simple pine box please. Then a summer of roofing, then building Log Homes,then everything else.
Then I got my contractors license and started doing anything I could find. Now I have found my niche for the last 6-7 years doing siding and exterior remodels, windows,doors, etc. As for pay, well, it pays just enough to not pay all the bills, and buy just enough gear to keep me happy. But I set my own hours, usually,14-18 hours a day, but I get to pick which ones:D
Oh, yeah, I got married and had a 3 year old daughter in there somewhere, remember the drinking, things get hazy after a while, but all in all not a bad life, and my wife is a Red Head so life is good and exciting:boxing: :smlove:
Oh, and the best part, my daughter loves Goodwill and thrifts and garage sales and records and vintage stereos and speakers and.....

PS: I think I make poor ol' Thoots life easy, considering I log about 3-4000 miles a month..just doing my part for the great state of Oregon:p:

Last edited:
There are three seasons in Michigan: Winter, Spring and Road Construction. Alot of them Federal Highway dollars are obviously being sent this way.

The amount of road construction is overwhelming. You can't travel anywhere without running into some form of highway construction. On the local level it is also staggering. Delays everywhere. I know this work is necessary but it's the shear amount of work being done that is frustrating to the commuter.

The Michigan State symbol should be one those damn orange and white construction barrels.

I feel better now.

Senior Cost Engineer.

index.php

If this thread was alive, it would old enough to vote! ;) Not to say that's a bad thing. Second one I've seen today.

Edit: AACKKK! You revived them both! :rflmao::rflmao: C'mon! Do some more! It's kinda fun to see some of these old threads. I haven't been on the site all that long, so I missed a lot.

Last edited:
index.php

If this thread was alive, it would old enough to vote! ;) Not to say that's a bad thing. Second one I've seen today.

Edit: AACKKK! You revived them both! :rflmao::rflmao: C'mon! Do some more! It's kinda fun to see some of these old threads. I haven't been on the site all that long, so I missed a lot.

Maybe you should whine to the moderators to remove them so you don't get triggered. All that whining over a post. That's some good times in Freemont, Nebraska.

And it's Fremont. One "e". Named for John C. Fremont, "The Pathfinder". Not that I'm sensitive about it, or anything...

Dropped out of college after 2 years as a music major, followed by tech school for drafting, later community college for network admin. and computer repair.

Work experience starting about 1980:
Draftsman (In the days of drawing boards )
Design Draftsman
Manufacturing Engineer
Network Administrator
Cabinetmaker
Luthier

To all of that add lifetime Musician and Woodworker.

Current occupation....Bum.

I spent my working life in printing. Everything from newspaper presses to small scale presses . From 1967 to 2015 but had lots of fun while the trade gave me outside chances to grow. Things like karate instructor / specializing in kids 12 to16 yrs. Wrenched on sons moto cross bike and owned the race track . Raised 1000 white geese for thanksgiving market that did not go well. Made stone facing for outside house use for resale. But the job I liked the most over these years is buying records and listening to the music I missed while I was doing everything else!

Small time Farm work till out of HS. Heifers Hens Hogs Horses Hay .... O my..
KMart Shipping Receiving then Security Guard.
Warehouse Insraller Lighting Company
Electronic Tech school.
Department Team Maintenance lead Lamp Factory.
Motion Time School (MTM) Industrial Engineering lamp factory.
Manufacturing supervisor line production of electronic switching units.
Working for a US based Major international Airline Inside and outside until able to retire. Preferred the Bag Room when my juice allowed.

Last edited:
Me well I am a schmuck. I dropped out at 15. Got a job at a local newspaper and have been a printer now for the last 20 years. sure beats flipping burgers. The shop I worked at went bust in Mid Sept and since then I have shifted my Ebayin into over drive !
Yeah I am sorry I didnt dinish school and I will kill the first one of my kids who dont graduate but I tell them as long as you Try and work hard and do your job no one can take sh*t away from you.

Dave
In todays environment if they show up and try there be giants among midgets !

After the Military service at 21, in 1972, I started work as a General Utility Worker, read laborer in the Construction Department at Northrop Corp. in my home town. Two years later I was promoted to Power Equipment Operator, I did the same work as before but now got to drive a forklift too. A year later I promoted to Sr. Power Equipment Operator. Then they lined upped those of us that showed up every day and asked which trade we wanted. I picked Plumbing. I went to LA Trade Tech and became a Industrial Plumber. Years later, I was injured on the job and was re-trained as a Building Inspector after leaving Northrop. It took 4 years to regain my former wages as a Inspector working private inspections and Quality Control Construction Inspection. After gaining experience I was hired as a Sr. Building Inspector in Las Vegas, NV. I retired 9 years ago! Life is Good!

Original training as a Marine Engineer (Merchant Marine Academy Grad). Economy of the late70s, early 80s sucked. Got laid off every time I turned around. Needed a steady paycheck.

Worked in Engineering Maintenance at the last major brewery in Cleveland, Ohio for a couple of years. Powerhouse, engine room, brewhouse equipment, basically all mechanicals and utilities except the bottling/canning lines. Laid off, again. They closed in 1984.

Spent 35 years in the Gas & Oil industry. The last 15 years managing compressor operations in Ohio for a Fortune 300 company.

Retired! Free at last, and they just legalized weed in Ohio...

Back
Top Bottom