What is your occupation?

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by G7Trader, Oct 2, 2017.

1. drrsutliff

drrsutliff AK Subscriber Subscriber

2. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Thank you for your service! :D

JamVal likes this.
  3. EJB14

EJB14 Member

Software Engineer is my hoity-toity title - but really I just like building and fixing things.

Ds2000 likes this.
  4. Moman5150

Moman5150 Member

Well I started U.S Army Reserves from 1987 to 1995 from 1988 to 1991 worked as a security guard from 1991 to 2002 worked at armored car co left as operation manager then from 2002 to 2010 work as a DOD police officer and currently a dispatcher for USBP.

RichTassoni and John James like this.
  5. Nemo bit

Nemo bit New Member

Over the road specialized trucker. Primarily aircraft components over dimensional long, wide , tall. I recommend you to send your kids for higher education. We make a good living but its the exception and takes many years. I am currently off for eye surgery and home. Wife is keeping the wheels turning. Me more so my turntables at the moment

6. RichTassoni

RichTassoni Active Member

Retired from loco school district after 30 years of site maintenance work, we did everything and anything plow snow ,landscaping, cement work, welding, repair and maintain all mowing and plow equipment. Every fall I'd tune and repair 120 snow blowers for all the schools, and I still do for them part time also line strip all parking lots and play grounds games . Enjoying wood working at home building in door and out door furniture and listening to music like everyone here.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Ds2000 likes this.
  7. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I got my B.A. in Theater, in College. I was mostly an actor, but when I could not get Acting roles, I would do tech jobs in the two school theaters. I was one of the few that could figure out the Dukane sound system in the main theater. What a POS, with a huge patch panel which was un-marked and stayed that way (job security). I knew I would not be an actor for my occupation, because to seriously do that, you would need to move to NYC or LA. That was not going to happen to me. I was also the head photographer for the Yearbook for 3 years and luckily my skill at that kept me in small money when I graduated in 1974. At that time, I could not get a job doing anything in Orlando.

Finally, in 1976, I got a job for theater technicians at a new theme park opening in the area, Circus World, which was being started by Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey. It was set to open in May 1976 and I started work in March. I worked in the circus theater as spot operator, sound tech, lighting tech, and stage manager, it was a great place to learn. I joined the International Alliance of Theater Stage Employees, The stage tech's union. I was wooed by the union members to quit the Circus and become the head electrician at the Bob Carr Performing Center that had reopened in 1978 after a full rehab job. I did not think I was qualified, but the members pressed me and I took the job.

I started as the HE in the Summer of 1980. Except for a short stint as assistant electrician on a Broadway tour of "Sugar Babies" for sixteen weeks in 1981. I worked at the BC theater until I retired in 2014. I was in the theater business for 38 years.

The work was oftentimes brutal. I had been known to work 18 hours a day up to 6 weeks without a day off. The constant walking on the concrete, stairs and ladder work tore my knees up. I was smart to start an IRA when I was 27. This enabled me to retire at 62. I was beat and was ready to get out. I had a lot of fun working hundreds of Broadway, Opera, Ballet and rock concert over the years. I had met many Stars and artists and worked with them for all those years, including circus Stars too. Of all the greats that I worked with, Donald O'Connor was my favorite and Mikey Rooney was my least favorite. The pay was way less than New York or Washington D.C. electricians would make. Half of my time there we had not the benefits of retirement of health. I did lighting design for the Ballet, the Opera, the Miss Florida competition, and a large handful of local dance schools. This extra work brought in some good money over the years.

The other thing I liked about my job was that it died in the Summer and I would move to a fish camp on the WestCoast of Florida and spend the Summer fishing, boating and spearfishing for grouper (my favorite) and a true challenge to catch or spear.

I'm retired now but can't keep up with keeping my boat in condition and all the work that goes with it. I gave the boat to my Son-in-Law and when/if he gets it back on it feet, I can show him where the grouper are. Sorry for being so long winded. I just felt saying Head Electrician just wasn't going to get it. Sometime later I'll talk about getting my Coast Guard's Captain License with a plan to become a fishing/spearfishing guide and quit the theater business.

8. John James

I had the dis-pleasure of working with Mickey Rooney once in the Charlotte Summer Theater. Not a pleasant man.

dwaller131 and Ds2000 like this.
  9. gtxtom

gtxtom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've made the step up from MINI technician to Ferrari technician ... which has been a step down in pay

Wally1955 and Ds2000 like this.
  10. PackmanJim

PackmanJim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Real Estate agent. Hardest job I have ever had, no steady paychecks since it is 100% performance pay based but I have been doing it since 2004 and love it!

JFRACE and Ds2000 like this.
  11. cdmccul

cdmccul New Member

NAPA parts guy... I don't own the store, we're part of a larger dealership, but the counter and everything NAPA is me. I'm also the marine expert for the boats we sell. I'm also the IT guy. We're a small head count, and I wear lots of the hats.

Happy to assist with car questions.

It's AutoMedic!

John James and RichTassoni like this.
  12. John James

13. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

I grow vegetables on a small farm.

I've also spent a lot of time cooking professionally and doing whole-animal butchery/slaughter.

cdmccul likes this.
  14. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

Cool man. Where is your restaurant? What kind of food do you do?

cdmccul likes this.
  15. cdmccul

cdmccul New Member

This should be about the right time to say "Congratulations!"?

16. sirianni

sirianni AK Subscriber Subscriber

17. JFRACE

JFRACE Well-Known Member

Real Estate Broker and Property Preservation for banks when they foreclose on a house.

18. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Parts Manager for a Porsche dealership. I was previously also into demolition, heavy equipment operator, metal fabrication and a residential new construction framer.

19. Rockon1

Rockon1 Active Member

Mechanic- specifically automatic transmissions for the last 40 years...seems like a lifetime...Bob

20. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Used car dealer - seriously.

upload_2018-2-16_17-10-16.jpeg

Me^^^ :cool:

My dastardly competitor across the street! :D

[​IMG]

John James and Ds2000 like this.