What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Filling in fixed length fields on web pages, such as phone numbers. Way back in the days of DOS, Commodore 64s, and Amberchrome monitors, programmers figured out how to automatically jump to the next fixed length field when the current one was maxed out. For example "7-1-7" the cursor would jump to the next field automatically. Then "5-5-5" and it jumps to the next. Then "1-2-1-2" and so on. No need to lift your fingers, press an extra key, or look at the screen.

Now, in 2017, with all the advances we've made, it seems like half the pages I now encounter don't implement this simple, time saving feature.

When entering or exiting a place of business. Fast food place especially. I see person about to pass through the same door in the opposite direction and hold the door. The person stops 2 feet from the door and stands there talking to someone in person, on the phone, texting, etc. So, I go through. Usually, I get dirty looks. One time, it was a young couple and the conversation went like this:

Girl: Uhhhhh....I thought you were holding the door for us?

Me: I was until you decided to take a decade to step through the door.

Boy: We weren't taking a decade.

Me: You're right, it was only 9 years, 364 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. Not quite a full decade.

Girl to boy: What's his problem?

Me: I just wanted to eat again before 3000 A.D. I know that's a lot to ask, but it would have been nice.

People texting someone that is standing Right Next to Them!!!
I was in the choir at a church I used to attend. 2 young men who went to college together sat on either side of me during practice. The were constantly texting each other and looking at each other laughing. Somehow, they managed to sing every note perfectly while doing this. We bass singers are a peculiar bunch, but these 2 took the cake.

The recent bombardment of phishing email.

Chase ... your account is suspended due to unusual activity, please click here to verify your account. Well, I'm glad it's suspended (not that I actually believe it anyway) because I don't have an account with Chase. LOL.

Spectrum... your billing information is invalidated because your credit card is expired or contains invalid account information. Click here to confirm your card information and reactivate your account. Oh, really? That's interesting since I don't pay my bill using a credit card, nor does a credit card back my usual payment method. LOL.

Facebook.... transfer your data by following this link. Oh, what data would that be...on account that I don't have/don't use Facebook.

I wonder how many they snag with this crap?

The recent bombardment of phishing email.

Chase ... your account is suspended due to unusual activity, please click here to verify your account. Well, I'm glad it's suspended (not that I actually believe it anyway) because I don't have an account with Chase. LOL.

Spectrum... your billing information is invalidated because your credit card is expired or contains invalid account information. Click here to confirm your card information and reactivate your account. Oh, really? That's interesting since I don't pay my bill using a credit card, nor does a credit card back my usual payment method. LOL.

Facebook.... transfer your data by following this link. Oh, what data would that be...on account that I don't have/don't use Facebook.

I wonder how many they snag with this crap?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of gullible people who fall for such scams.

Another package of "light" roast coffee that's more like dark roast. Grrrr...what a waste of (allegedly) Kenya AA. OTOH, how would one know the varietal when this dark? All the character is burnt away.

If I want something that tastes like an ashtray I'll buy "Char"bucks...

Here is a real pet peeve of mine. I attended a semi-private event this afternoon. There were about 100 people seated at tables under a large tent. When the designated speaker began to make announcements, most people stopped their conversations so that they and others around them could hear what was being said. There were four or five tables where the conversations continued and actually got louder, a lot louder, and made it difficult for people seated around them to hear the announcements. Those jerks completely ignored the designated speaker and had no consideration for anyone else in attendance. I gave the loudmouth woman seated nearby the stink-eye, and she saw it, but it didn't help at all. It wasn't the sort of event that starting a confrontation with her would have helped or made any difference.

I think that the lack of common courtesy, manners, and consideration for others shouldn't be something that one needs to be reminded of. Kind of old school these days, isn't it?

And while we are on the subject, texting or checking email on your phone or tablet while attending a meeting when your attention should be on the person that has the floor is one of the rudest things that I can imagine, yet I see it all the time. Not in company meetings, we can control that. I am referring to public or semi-public meetings such as Rotary or Kiwanis. I have belonged to a business networking club for more than fourty years and as much as I have tried to initiate rules to prohibit the use of electronic devices during the meeting, my efforts always fall on deaf ears. It is especially embarrassing to me when we have a guest speaker and our members have something more important to do than give the guest their full attention. There are only two of us old timers out of 40 members that find this rude behavior to be so objectionable. Everyone else either is one of the offending individuals or just doesn't see a problem. I am not going to give up.

So I suppose that all of the above can be summarized by simply stating that my pet peeve is the increasing number of instances of inconsiderate, rude and unprofessional behavior that I observe.

Not putting soap in the window washing water at the local gas station. Nothing like smearing big guts all over your windshield with plain dirty water!

When entering or exiting a place of business. Fast food place especially. I see person about to pass through the same door in the opposite direction and hold the door. <snip>.

Ah, the holding of the door. That creates a couple pet peeves for me.

Rule #1: If it is a tight passageway and you have to squish to the side and I have to try to slide past you as you hold the door then just let it go, I'll get it myself. If you are more in the way trying to be helpful then don't.

Rule #2: If you are not elderly, incapacitated in some way or with a small child and I'm not standing behind the door like a doorman holding it, if you don't reach out to take the door as you pass through I will let it go without warning. I'm only holding it until you get there because it would be rude to let it slam in your face, I'm not holding it while your royal highness passes through.

I think that the lack of common courtesy, manners, and consideration for others shouldn't be something that one needs to be reminded of. Kind of old school these days, isn't it?

That right there is the leading cause of most of these peeves. Common courtesy is not very common anymore.
The attitude that I am the most important person in the world and the only thing that matters is what I want leads to massive amounts of rudeness.
Society functions based on agreed upon norms. There are ways that people once behaved in public because that was what you did. Most were polite and considerate, the thought of others and the way their actions would affect them. A few rebelled but nothing too noticeable.
But then a generation decided that we'd tell all the kids they were special. And they grew up thinking it was true. It seems the more people see and experience rude behavior the more it spreads because plenty that are older than the 'you are special' generation act that way too now.
From the road to movies, restaurants, sidewalks, campgrounds and on and on a huge percentage of the population has been convinced that they are so important that what they want to do is what should be allowed to do.
It is the attitude of:
I don't care if you are already in that lane, I want in it so I will move over even if there isn't room and if we almost hit I will flip you off.
I don't care if you want to see the movie, my kid is bored and using my phone as a flashlight,
I don't care if you don't like my kids jumping on the seats and screaming in the booth behind you.
I don't care if we are two people walking towards you and the two of you went single file to make it easier to fit on the sidewalk. We are going to stay side by side as we pass.
I don't care if you are camping with your family, we are going to yell the F word over and over all day......

File this one under "Some Things are Just Too Damned Complicated!":

My youngest daughter turned 15 last week and applied for a part-time job at a local grocery store (a large regional chain). After filling out the online application (which took about half an hour to complete), she has since:

* Had an interview (sample question to the 15-year old who is applying for her first job: "Tell me about a memorable customer service experience you had".)
* Had Dad (me) drive her to a local lab so she could take a drug test (urine sample.)
* Had Dad fill out the paperwork for a Worker's Permit, and then drop it off at the school district's administrative office, so it can be signed by the Superintendent and submitted to the State.
* Updated her application to consent to a criminal background check.

Once she receives her Worker's Permit (in one-to-two weeks), and successfully passes her drug test and background check, she can then be officially hired!

The job, by the way, is 6-10 hours per week, stocking and neatening the shelves.

Ah Noreaster, I applaud you and your daughter for the mission that you are on. There are many very valuable life lessons that she will learn on her first job. She is at a very impressionable age. Experiencing and learning to deal with corporate procedures and policies is just one. Be certain to keep in touch with her each day so that you can help her and guide her in managing her expectations. Not everything that she experiences will be perceived as being good. With the proper guidance from you, the inevitable negative experiences will provide the best lessons. Learning to recognize and deal with co-workers of all kinds, management, bad bosses, and, of course, the public, lays the ground work for a strong foundation of a successful career in whatever she chooses.

Sorry, that is not a pet peeve. Far from it. I get excited for the kids when I see them starting out on their first job.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled crab fest! :rolleyes:

Mad Maxine, the kamikaze shopping cart drivers at supermarkets. They exit aisles at warp speed and blow through intersections without the slightest thought that there just may be other people in the store. Even pit row has speed limits and common sense protocols to prevent collisions among Formula 1 race cars. I am aware that as a male, I am on their God driven turf, but man alive, they make those supermarket lanes dangerous! Recently I was stopped near the end of an aisle so that I could see if the main road aisle was clear for me to enter when Mad Maxine came flying around the corner. I had to jerk my cart clear of her path in order to keep her from running into me. She grunted something, obscene I'm sure, and gave me the stink-eye as if it was my fault.

Narcissistic people who interrupt others to make sure their viewpoint is heard.
This is timely. I was hanging with a group of associates yesterday and one, who's a very successful business owner would state "stop", multiple times, while placing his palm out, to interject his apparent superior counter point. It was incredibly rude and annoying.

Back
Top Bottom