What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by onwardjames, Jun 9, 2014.

1. tybrad

tybrad 21234 Subscriber

What is it with this violation of language, such as

"It's a tell that they did this."
    or
    "That's a very big ask".

John James likes this.
  2. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger Effect Subscriber

I think "tell" is a poker term for some little tick or subtle mannerism that tips a player's tactics.

noogies likes this.
  3. portnoy

portnoy AK Member Subscriber

190 unread pages of pet peeves....

No really, people who cannot turn right into a 2 block long merge lane. Every morning the first stop light I come to has a right turn on red (unless otherwise posted) and a two block long merge lane. Granted it's a highway where the speed limit is 45 mph and everyone is doing 55, and there is a left hand turn lane a third of a mile down the road that everyone wants to cross two lanes of traffic to get to, but still, two blocks to get up to speed and merge...

It does allow me to start my morning out cursing and slobbering and slathering though, so there is an upside.

John James and Te-Te like this.
  4. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

Why are shopping carts tilted back so that every bottle you put in them falls over???

DustyOldPile and Hobie1dog like this.
  5. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

People that think typing "amen" on a picture guarantees them to be rich beyond their wildest dreams!

John James likes this.
  6. Judas Priest

People that throw their cigarette butts out of their car window.

Your car has an ashtray; USE IT!

John James likes this.
  7. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think it forces the heaviest part of the load to the rear.

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

But when they do they dump the entire contents at an intersection. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

9. Judas Priest

Sad, but true.

10. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

:rflmao:

I have rural property where I have a shop and cut firewood (my house is in town) so I bought a tractor. My insurance company (Shelter, whose main HQ has been here since 1947 or whatever) said that they would insure it with something they call an "Inland Marine Policy." Obviously it's not a home or a car so it makes sense it would be something else, but Inland Marine? Agent told me the term originally was used to insure goods that arrive by boat and are then transferred to train, truck etc. and it covers them while being moved about. So they call it an Inland Marine policy. How hard would it be to just call it Farm Equipment? :dunno: "Hey guys let's update the archaic names for these policies...Naaah!"

New rant: Public Information people who think they can edit.

My organization (a large bureaucracy) has a PI person review everything that the public sees, including a slide show for a technical conference. Here's one of my slide titles:

"VI Assessment Is Not A Linear Process"

It's a complete sentence, what's not to like? Don't worry what VI is, the audience knows.

It got changed to:

"VI Assessment - Not Linear Process"

Which I and my colleagues think is far more awkward. Why the change? The PI staffer said the way I wrote it was awkward. :no: o_O

It would be fine if they knew what they were doing and we didn't, but it's not that way. :rolleyes:

11. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

This may have been already mentioned, and prob has...but being the next to a TP dispenser and there's not enough on the roll:rolleyes:...and no one's at home! This has gone from a minor league peeve to a major one!

Q

Ronald1973 likes this.
  12. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

At my house we always make sure there are reinforcements underneath the bathroom sink.

13. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Good man, Charlie Brown!:thumbsup: (pun unintended)

Q

noogies likes this.
  14. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

People who think that you're the bank and supposed to loan them money!

15. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

The mystery Oreos. First the picture leads one to believe they are not the double stuff variety (they are, probably bc creme is cheaper than chocolate). Second, the flavor, which I totally recognize but cant pinpoint, is nasty. I bought 2 of them, must have had the munchies.

16. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

No problem.

When the hell was "you're welcome" replaced by "no problem?"

BruceRPA likes this.
  17. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ll second that Manny!

18. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

No problem!

Ronald1973 likes this.
  19. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Right up there with "How are you doing today?" as from sales types/cashiers.

Asked one the other day..."Do you really care?" What I got back was "No, but we gotta ask anyways".

Faux caring in a non caring world.

Lately been replying "Got a half hour?" I then get the blank look...but it's fun to ask in return, eh? :)

And the world spins.

Q

20. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I'm always tempted to tell them I'm doing terrible and then begin telling them about my puppy or kitten... with pictures. Of it wearing a diaper. Next to a mummified corpse. And then when asked explaining in a very offhand fashion how that's my wife, well I married her right after the abduction, you see and I really thought that THIS TIME it would work out...

Quadman2 and Ronald1973 like this.