1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by onwardjames, Jun 9, 2014.

1. OnTheBlitz

OnTheBlitz ->"Dad, It's time to play stick!""Throw it again!" Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. c.coyle

c.coyle All solid state except for the tubes Subscriber

Well they work. Commercial webpages are not designed for easy, intuitive navigation. They are designed to maximize clicks and page views. What are you gonna do? :rolleyes:

Anytime the claim is "we've updated our webpage to enhance the user experience," get ready for harder and slower.

Bill Ferris, noogies and OnTheBlitz like this.
  3. hdewees

hdewees Well-Known Member

Minor peeve - went to a $$$$ steak house on Saturday night with 5 friends/family - ordered steaks and fish with baked potatoes. After a very, very long time the waiter comes back and says they are out of baked potatoes - c'mon - a Saturday night and a steak house is out of baked potatoes?

4. Nightcleaner

Nightcleaner Well-Known Member

Happened Again Today. .. grrrrrrrr ... was contemplating ...... one sheet ... I had the house walk about Phone with me... No use. But it rung while i was letting of steam .. I answered it there was a long pause. I knew it be one of those Asian survey calls or them idiots pretending to be from Microsoft. an Asian voice Said "am I speaking to Mr ..." They always get my name wrong. (There's a couple of things in my mind I am dying to try to seek a reaction and I'm thinking quick or as quick as a 66 yo coming on 67 can think ) Then i was totally honest with them and said I am on the Toilet. Back come a lot of giggling and they put the phone down on me. Plan A is To tell them when they ring is the name of the person they are asking for has Died. (Hes every right too at 66 ) Just to listen to the reaction to see if i get crossed of the list so to speak

I wish my partner the lady I care for would change the roll when its Empty. Do you know what. I had a good long look at her face flannel and thought shall I. Its that or the shower curtain ( Again ) why am i laughing ... But i did find something suitable.

5. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

Politicians who, when asked a specific question, can only revert to lame talking points that are completely unrelated.

toxcrusadr and Bill Ferris like this.
  6. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

One did that on a news show this morning and I thought it would be great if they'd cut his microphone and say "That isn't the question I asked. Can you please answer this question". Shame on the interviewers for allowing them to get away with it.

7. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

Paid surveys. I've been using a particular site for less than a week and have made close to $60 already. I'm loving that part. What annoys me is to click on a survey that just popped up and be told "this survey is closed." Then you get a survey that opens up a new tab, closes it just as quick and you get a message saying "you did not qualify for this survey." How do you know? You didn't even ask me a question!

Bill Ferris likes this.
  8. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Is it a job requirement for NPR that everyone start every sentence with the word 'So'?

9. CoogarXR

CoogarXR Super Member

That's a requirement of all speech nowadays. I was watching "Shark Tank" the other day, and ALL of the replies from ALL of the inventors started with "So..."

I also hate it. And I think it's been mentioned by others in this thread too, so you're not alone!

10. OnTheBlitz

Modern Television Media

Bill Ferris likes this.
  11. IPADave

IPADave Which one's Pink? Subscriber

It seems this is the new "thing". All of the contestants on "Jeopardy" do this when they are interviewed by Alex Trebek. :thumbsdown:

OnTheBlitz likes this.

12. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sooooo it’s like, aaahhhhhhhhh, a valley girl thing, ya know... K?

Face-to-face verbal communication is becoming more and more challenging for some people. Texting avoids all that messy interpersonal stuff that makes people uncomfortable being around other people.

13. OnTheBlitz

People who text and drive.

14. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

It is scary, absolutely scary. Lethal accidents triggerd by this occur here in Deutschland more and more...

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  15. noogies

On a more trivial note, why does it seem that more and more people are pronouncing the word "nuclear" as "nucular"? With the proliferation of North Korea stories in the news lately, I'm noticing this a lot, and it's coming from educated people, people who would otherwise appear to have a good handle on the English language, people I thought I respected. What gives?

RUmad, Bill Ferris and OnTheBlitz like this.
  16. OnTheBlitz

Excessive Radiation?

noogies likes this.

17. noogies

Is something leaking?

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  18. OnTheBlitz

Could be fallout from Hiroshima? :)

19. SA-708

SA-708 Appalachian-American Subscriber

I used to keep the records for the Alumni office at a state university. We had a "telefund" program where student workers would call alumni to ask for a gift, no more than once a year. One year, the number of of calls that resulted in reports that the alumnus had passed away spiked. Evidently, someone had put out the word that the best way to get a telemarketer off the phone is to tell them that the party they were calling had died. Once we figured it out, we started double-checking all death reports from the telefund with another source. Before we figured it out....

I had a few phone calls the following year or two where an alumnus would call, complaining that we had stopped mailing them the alumni magazine. After looking up their record in the database, I was able to tell them it was because last time we called you, the person that answered told us that you were dead,

20. Quadman2

Quadman2 Addicted Member

Well this one's traffic related.

Checked thread to see if already mentioned...but couldn't find it in the postings.

Anyways, while on the way home today, which is rural-like so posted limit is at 80km/50mph, but most of us do 90 if you can see on ahead. The farmers pretty well do the posted 80km on the button. Part of their culture, I guess?

So, here I am doing the accepted local 90, and there's this impatient gal catches up to me, and who wants to play bumper tag with me...but there are no bumpers these days! She's so close I can see the colour of the lipstick she has on. Instead of passing me, as I know she's just dying to do, she waits until a small hill comes up, and we going into double solid lines, and now she wants to pass! On the start of the hill! It ain't a big hill, but you can't see if someone's coming from the other way, and it's only a two lane highway.

As she comes along side, I slam on the brakes, and it was a GD good move on my part, as over the hill comes the proverbial farmer 1/2 ton. She cranks right in front of me just in time to avoid the crash, and the oncoming guy's expression told it all. He was something scared. Both were within a second or two from death's door, and I probably would have been a residual part of the whole affair. And ya know, this is happening more and more on this road it seems.

I was gonna try to catch up to this "IDGASh#it" driver, but would have had to really floor in order to catch her. I WAS tempted, but reason took over. I just fumed, spit out teeth filings and went on my way.

This was not a pet peeve... this was a major one for me!

Q

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Te-Te, noogies, Judas Priest and 2 others like this.