What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Thread's wayyyyyyyy too long to look back on this peeve of mine this day, so I apologize if it's been mentioned already.

So, I'm in a hurry today, which usually is the case, and I'm in the big grocery store, in the proverbial line up, but it's the 6 items one or less lane... the supposedly "fast lane". However, I'm about five deep in the lineup, and just about everyone in front of me has a dozen or so things they want to buy. Of course no one has cash, and the cashier is the chatty one and wants to talk about the weather, her dog or anything else that will lighten up her day.

I want ask why her why the rule of 6 or less isn't followed...but I'll be later if I do! I just grit my teeth and chalk it up as a peeve. Not a big one, but one just the same.

Q

Take that one step further... the customer waits until it's all bagged and rung up, then realizes that they have to pay and start digging through their purse, pockets, wallet for CC, checkbook, or change. Then they stand there while they put everything back exactly where they found it, zip all the zippers and snap all the snaps. All the while, their cart is blocking the lane so you can't even start putting your items on the belt until they finally decide to saunter off.

This confuses about 99% of the people who come in my office:

View attachment 1258409

I could believe that usedto !!
I have a 1987 still functioning Heathkit WWV/VH RF 3 channel 5, 10, 15 MHz. "Most Accurate Clock" that displays 12 or 24 hour time digitally, and is usually configured for GMT, which has confused many non SW radio savvy visitors, in the past, about what time it is, especially the 1/10 of a second display portion.

The quick lane thing. Those who are NOT ready with whatever 10's of coupons they want to use. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle in the purse to get at them, then sort them, match them to bought items, ask 5 questions per coupon, and then hand them ONE AT A TIME to the cashier, who may be a slow dimwit herself.

Kill me now.

OTOH there's the self checkout. The other day I got 4 ears of corn. Gotta look up the code number - there are 5 different types on the list and you don't know which one you have because the sign in the produce section said "Corn." Try the first one. Doesn't work. Try the second. Machine takes it but doesn't ask how many I have. Instead charges me for one and moves on. Have to keep punching in the code to buy my ears of corn one at a time. Two. Three. Then the icing on the cake, "REMOVE THE UNSCANNED ITEM FROM THE BAGGING AREA!" Take one corn back. "RETURN THE ITEM TO THE BAGGING AREA!" :rant:

People walking their dogs and never looking up from their cell phones the entire time!
Jeez, look around and enjoy your walk, whatever you're looking at on your phone can wait until you get home!

Effing Cyber Zombies!
The same thing goes for parents of young children. What can possibly be more interesting than being oitside with your kid?

The same thing goes for parents of young children. What can possibly be more interesting than being oitside with your kid?

And what does it do to the mental development of the kids having no interaction? They run all these public service announcements telling people to talk to your young children because it is important for their development and yet I continually see people just looking at their phone as they walk along with the kid.

The quick lane thing. Those who are NOT ready with whatever 10's of coupons they want to use. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle in the purse to get at them, then sort them, match them to bought items, ask 5 questions per coupon, and then hand them ONE AT A TIME to the cashier, who may be a slow dimwit herself.

Kill me now.

I hear you !!
Maybe they should post a sign like my area`s bank`s do in the drive through.
Indicating that to have your transaction/s prepared before you arrive.
Seems like a good idea, but people don`t often follow that suggestion, so probably wouldn`t be effective at the grocery store anyway.
IMHO. courtesy, and consideration for others, is a dying art.!!

View attachment 1258838
Those signs are there for a reason. Ask any big rig driver.

Maybe you can explain THIS one near my house:

Corner.png

Where the Stop sign is 20 feet BEFORE the white line that you're supposed to stop at. People either stop too early, which is so far before the intersection that drivers going the other 3 ways may not see you waiting your turn back there, OR they have to give themselves the heebie-jeebies driving PAST the stop sign to stop at the line. :dunno:

For the record, I pay attention to the white line and rarely stop on or past it, only when necessary to see for a turn, etc.

<snip>For the record, I pay attention to the white line and rarely stop on or past it, only when necessary to see for a turn, etc.

Stopping at all would be a rare event here. It isn't even a slow down and just barely keep moving anymore (California stop) it is a full speed, no intention of stopping at all, run.
I worry every time I stop at a stop sign that I'm going to get rear ended because the person behind me isn't expecting anyone to stop.
The people that do stop then sit and wait to see if the other car looks like they are actually going to stop before they pull into the intersection now too.

I blame that on piss-poor markings by DOT — or whoever is supposed to be responsible for properly marking that intersection Tox. A missing line at the stop sign is the first failure. The confusion that is caused by the line at the intersection creates chaos for big vehicles turning onto the intersecting roadway when they encounter vehicles in suspended animation at that point whithout a clue as to what to do when they see Kenworth sprawled across their windshield. The sight triangle needs to be large enough that drivers at the stop sign can see far enough to the left and to the right well enough to proceede without having to stop again at the intersection. Aannnnd, drivers need to pay attention to the world around them. Do I ask too much?

Last edited:
I've finally come to the conclusion that "Bespoke" bugs me. And not just by itself, but because of the whole Etsy Effect.

The Museum of London has saved a hunk of the infamous 80-ton Fatberg from the sewer. "We've also created a bespoke case, fitted with a camera,"

We used to just call that 'custom'. A custom case. What was wrong with custom? No, it's Bespoke now.

It's the Etsy effect. People want to sell things by making them sound fancy. Invent a word, or find a Victorian name for a thing that hasn't been called that in decades. A cover for your teapot becomes a 'cozy'. A shaving brush is a Latherer. Sandals? No, Espadrilles. Huge purse? No, it's a Journey Bag.

What. Ever. :p

Back
Top Bottom