What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

People that say “seriously?” I wanna say “no, I just haven’t lied yet today and I figured I’d start with you”

Poorly designed headlight lenses.
All of these polycarbonate headlight lenses yellow with age significantly reducing light output.
This never occurred to the original designers?
. I insist that my headlights (and tail lights) are kept clear and clean. I hit a deer about five years ago. One headlight assembly was replaced as part of the collision repair. I didn’t realize it until several years later that the body shop must have used an after market headlight assembly. The undamaged one is just as clear as the day I purchased the truck new in 2005. The replacement lens has started to get cloudy. I have had to buff it out twice since it was installed. The next time I have to have collision work done I will insist on OEM parts, not equivalents.

The OEM are not always that great either. Granted it took some years but we've had cars from 93, 95 and 2002 that clouded considerably. They do respond to those restoration kits but it's temporary. Before I sold my 93 Mazda in the fall, I was using the fog lights too and still couldn't see well.

Poorly designed headlight lenses.
All of these polycarbonate headlight lenses yellow with age significantly reducing light output.
This never occurred to the original designers?

This is a fairly new 'thing' to me. Up until very recently I had never seen such - all cars here had glass headlamp covers. But now I'm paying attention I see quite a few recent models use plastic. I haven't noticed yellowing, just haziness through sandblasting effect.

Wax them, and more frequently that you do the car. The UV inhibitors will slow that process. Personal experience, true story.

I`ve found that flat screen TV cleaner with using a microfiber cloth works very well, at least so far on my "2003" BMW Z 8 Alpina & my 2006 Mini SS.

Still appear to be perfectly clear lenses.
The chemicals in the screen spray don`t seem to hurt the plastic.
If the lenses are really dirty, I pre-soak and rinse off first with sprayed distilled water & pat dry before using the flat screen cleaner to reduce the chance of micro scratches.

I suspect the chemicals in household cleaners(Glass Plus, Windex, etc. might be harsh on the plastic and compounded with UV exposure accelerate the yellowing.
Just a thought.
Waxing frequently works great too, just more labor intensive for my old cripple ass.
YMMV

MX6 headlight.JPG

Headlight on my Mazda, so opaque you can't even see the bulbs. It may have something to do with the type of plastic they used. This one didn't get waxed, but wasn't washed that often either, so the sun pretty much did this by itself.

. I insist that my headlights (and tail lights) are kept clear and clean. I hit a deer about five years ago. One headlight assembly was replaced as part of the collision repair. I didn’t realize it until several years later that the body shop must have used an after market headlight assembly. The undamaged one is just as clear as the day I purchased the truck new in 2005. The replacement lens has started to get cloudy. I have had to buff it out twice since it was installed. The next time I have to have collision work done I will insist on OEM parts, not equivalents.
Some insurance companies (like AMICA) offer extend warranties on the repair work done by authorized repair shops - so, there's a slight chance you'll have some recourse.

ALL of the clearcoat! :biggrin: I shoulda had it painted in the mid 2000s when it started to go, because eventually the cost of a full strip and paint exceeded the value of the car so I decided to just keep driving it and let it be. It's camouflaged. :cool:

And "wayward "drivers" tend to question pulling out in front of you, etc., as they deem you don`t care about it(your car) either !!
At least, here in NE. FL. from my decade`s driving observations..

"Shinny new" car can sometimes be a "Moron Magnet" whilst your mobile, or otherwise..

And this time of year tends to bring them out in droves !!

Mercy Sakes Alive !!

I get two emails everyday about enrolling in the Gov't Health Care program.

My time is running out...the marketplace is open.

I've had medical through my job for over four years. Seems like there would be a little box one of the bureaucrats could flag somewhere.

Big Brother is watching me. Yeah right.

Those relentless jerks call me several times a day on my call phone! They spoof a different caller ID number each time. It’s a scam one way or another.

I am certain that it has been mentioned before but it is that time of year again. People that dont bother to clear the frost or snow from their windshield, windows, headlights and tail lights. It happeened this morning as I was heading out to work. I recognize the minivan from being around the neighborhood. The windshield was completely covered with heavy frost. The same for all of the other windows and lights. She may as well have been driving with a tarp or car cover covering the vehicle. As soon as any sunlight would hit the windshield it would be opaque. She must have been driving a little slower than usual today because she wanted to be safe while she drove the kids to school. Yeah, that must be it.

Those relentless jerks call me several times a day on my call phone! They spoof a different caller ID number each time. It’s a scam one way or another.

I was talking to someone today about this, I get calls from a loan scam posing as a known legit loan place and they always come from somewhere in my state, but different places. Turns out phone #s are still tied to their original locations, but you can get any phone # that's available, so they simply register for various random available phone #s. So they are not actually spoofing. That's the story anyhow.

I get two emails everyday about enrolling in the Gov't Health Care program.

My time is running out...the marketplace is open.

I've had medical through my job for over four years. Seems like there would be a little box one of the bureaucrats could flag somewhere.

Big Brother is watching me. Yeah right.

Their clueless, "to some extent", like the movie of the same name !!

Many European cars come equipped with front and rear fog lights.
The rear fog lights are handy for low visibility situations where you want to be seen from behind.
It seems that there is a small, yet annoying group of drivers that aren't aware of this and there's no way they'd ever know since you can't see these lights when they're on while driving.
Even if you flash your lights at them they'll be unaware.

People - stop pissing me off!

That's cool, I had not heard of rear fog lights. I would use them since people follow too close in fog.

People seem to want to turn on every light on their vehicle that they can. Seems to be standard practice to turn on every light you got whether it's foggy or not, oncoming traffic or not. The big pickup trucks with vertical light arrays on each side look like something out of Close Encounters is coming at you, and it will give you just about as much of a sunburn too. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom