What is your preferred way of connecting your digital files to your hi-fi system?

You are correct, iTunes does not support DSD. When I purchase something from HDTracks it gets downloaded into an external hard drive and from there the file is copied into the Sony. It’s a bit of a work-around and I’ve only done it a couple of times because quite honestly Sony’s propriety software called DSEE does such a great job with standard CD files I’ve cut back on DSD purchases. No it’s not true DSD, but whatever it does makes a difference. It’s not the same as going from CD to SACD, but it’s audible enough to leave it activated.

Alternatively you could connect a separate hard drive full of DSD files to the Sony and just let it read those.

A very cool machine for sure and it looks like Sony has put a lot engineering in to it. Does anyone know what sort of CPU chip and how much RAM this has? Linux machines usually don't need a strong chip or much RAM is why I ask.

A very cool machine for sure and it looks like Sony has put a lot engineering in to it. Does anyone know what sort of CPU chip and how much RAM this has? Linux machines usually don't need a strong chip or much RAM is why I ask.
Another option for less money is the Yamaha WXC-50 if you can live with some of the differences...like controlling it with a tablet or phone:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/aud..._amplifiers/wxc-50/features.html#product-tabs

It does Hi Rez, AirPlay, Bluetooth, Spotify, SiriusXM, Tidal, Deezer, Pandora, Net Radio, etc. It has an optical input for a Chromecast Audio device and analog inputs if you want to expand your options.

It does Hi Rez, AirPlay, Bluetooth, Spotify, SiriusXM, Tidal, Deezer, Pandora, Net Radio, etc.

Note that Apple just recently released AirPlay 2, so you'll want to check if that Yammy gizmo can (and will) be updated.

Last edited:
Server and client architecture prevails at Paranoia Towers.

4TB WD MyCloud NAS (£149), running 24/7.
Provides SMB file server.
Provides Twonky DLNA media server.
Connected to wired GBE switch (Netgear GS105, £20), and thence to WiFi router/modem (Technicolor TG582n, charity shop, £1).
Can also run BubbleUPnP Server, allowing access to Twonky DLNA server outside my home.
Currently hosting 68700 tracks (mostly FLAC).

Win7 Pro desktop PC (HP Pro 3305, rescued from skip, 24" 1080P TV as HDMI monitor, rescued from skip & PSU repaired).
Running MediaMonkey client, accessing NAS SMB file server via GBE, outputting analogue to main amp & speakers.
Can stream to any of the DLNA renderers in the house.
Used for ripping CDs to FLAC with Exact Audio Copy (achieves 30x average rip speed).
MediaMonkey used for library management, along with a raft of custom Linux scripts.
Runs FreeFileSync to perform mirror backup of NAS to USB HDDs.

Win7 Pro Atom-based all-in-one PC in bedroom (ViewSonic VPC-100, secondhand, £60).
Running MusicBee client, accessing NAS SMB file server via GBE.
Streaming to Denon DRA-N5 (secondhand, £40) via WiFi DLNA, or any of the DLNA renderers in the house.
Can output analogue via headphone socket.
Can rip CDs with EAC, but the drive is much slower.
Can run Kodi and VLC clients accessing the NAS SMB file server via GBE to play video, outputting analogue audio to Denon aux in.
Denon can receive optical SPDIF stream, has alarm clock and internet radio functions.

Win8.1 Atom-based tablet (Linx7, secondhand, £25), running MusicBee client, accessing NAS SMB file server via WiFi.
Can stream to any of the DLNA renderers via WiFi DLNA.
Can stream to Bluetooth receiver/amp via Bluetooth.
Can be connected to TV by HDMI.

Android media box connected to the TV (CS918, £35), running BubbleUPnP client (£3.16 unlimited licences) acting as DMC and DMR, accessing the NAS DLNA media server via WiFi.
Streaming to the TV via HDMI, then from TV via optical SPDIF to Audica AVR-1 and Audica CS-LCR soundbar (both secondhand, £30 each).
Can stream to any of the DLNA renderers via WiFi.
Can stream to Chromecast audio dongles via WiFi
Can act as DLNA DMR for any of the other systems, streaming all as above (including CCA multicast, allowing any system to play to CCA multicast via DLNA).
Can act as remote control for MM and MB if they are streaming to a DLNA DMR.
Can stream to Bluetooth receiver/amp via Bluetooth.
Can output optical SPDIF stream to external DAC.
Can run Kodi and VLC accessing the NAS SMB file server via WiFi to play video, outputting audio and video via HDMI.

Android phones (Moto E2, £30, Moto Defy, skip) and tablets (Hudl1, £60), running BubbleUPnP client, accessing NAS DLNA media server via WiFi.
Can stream to any of the DLNA renderers via WiFi.
Can stream to Chromecast audio dongles via WiFi
Can act as DLNA DMR for any of the other systems, streaming all as above (including CCA multicast, allowing any system to play to CCA multicast via DLNA).
Can act as remote control for MM and MB if they are streaming to a DLNA DMR.
Can stream to the Bluetooth receiver/amp via Bluetooth.

Chromecast Audio dongles (3 off, £15 each).
Headless, WiFi DMR node.
Outputs analogue stereo audio, or optical SPDIF.
Can receive CCA stream from any of the Android devices running BubbleUPnP.
Can be connected to any amplifier or optical SPDIF input DAC in the house.
Can be used individually, or grouped for multicast streaming.

SoundMate SM1 DLNA/Airplay DMR (£18).
Headless, WiFi DMR node.
Outputs analogue stereo audio, or optical SPDIF.
Can act as a WiFi repeater.
Can be used as a directly-connected WiFi DMR, without needing a WiFi router as intermediary (so can be used in a car, boat, caravan, etc).

Sanwu Bluetooth receiver & TDA7492P class-D amp (from Banggood, £6.82).
Headless Bluetooth renderer & amp.
Powered by laptop PSU (skip).

Just to blur the client/server boundary, all the client apps (MediaMonkey, MusicBee, BubbleUPnP and Kodi) can provide a DLNA media server. But I don't have them enabled, as I have the Twonky DLNA media server running on the NAS.

The client apps (except MB) can act as DLNA DMRs, rendering streams sent from any of the other nodes acting as DLNA DMCs.

1TB portable HDD (Toshiba, secondhand, £20), with portable MusicBee installation, and LAME VBR0 compressed MP3 library. Can be plugged into any Windows PC to play my music library anywhere.

I think that's it...

My preferred method? Depends on what I'm doing...

Last edited:
Note that Apple just recently released AirPlay 2, so you'll want to check if that Yammy gizmo can (and will) be updated.
I doubt it will get an Airplay2 update. However, Yamaha hasn't made any announcements for any of their current or upcoming products. Yamaha is pushing their Musicast system for multiroom audio, so Airplay2 may no be high on their radar. I bought a Denon X4200 not too long ago and it isn't being updated either. I think these companies would rather use the feature to generate new purchases versus updating devices already on the market. That being said, I would be pleasantly surprised if Yamaha eventually had an update for it.

Yeah, I don't see any Yamaha gear on the update intended list on Apple's AirPlay page: https://www.apple.com/airplay/
Looks like the Denon Xn500H units are AirPlay 2 compatible (or will be). No info on Xn200 models.

BTW, I've got 5 different streams simultaneously coming off my Mac mini iTunes server (for test purposes; it's a bit of a racket to listen to). Had them up for a few hours now and haven't missed a beat, pun intended.

Yeah, I don't see any Yamaha gear on the update intended list on Apple's AirPlay page: https://www.apple.com/airplay/
Looks like the Denon Xn500H units are AirPlay 2 compatible (or will be). No info on Xn200 models.

BTW, I've got 5 different streams simultaneously coming off my Mac mini iTunes server (for test purposes; it's a bit of a racket to listen to). Had them up for a few hours now and haven't missed a beat, pun intended.
I have Airplay 2 in every room I frequent thanks to owning 3 compatible AppleTVs. I would like something for the Sunroom similar to the Airport Express (which I have out there now) that can handle Airplay2. I may just buy another AppleTV and run it headless, but that seems like overkill.

Why do you need AirPlay 2 specifically? Won't AirPlay 1 work just as well for you (depending on your source(s) and preferred control modes)?

Why do you need AirPlay 2 specifically? Won't AirPlay 1 work just as well for you (depending on your source(s) and preferred control modes)?
Airplay doesn’t work for multiple locations with iOS. I can’t tell HomePod to play on a non Airplay 2 device. The buffer is longer so less drop outs ( though that has never been a problem for me... but nice to have the extra headroom.

You're losing me. Two of my five streams were going through non-AirPlay 2 compliant gizmos (older ATV and AirPort Express models) to conventional stereo receiver and ancient plasma TV, respectively. Like I said above, depends on your sources and means of control. Apple has built a great deal of flexibility into its audio (and video?) distribution architecture and components.

Last edited:
Check my signature.
The Mav Audio has been tweaked with Dexa discrete OpAmps and a 6cc42 Tesla tube.

You're losing me. Two of my five streams were going through non-AirPlay 2 compliant gizmos (older ATV and AirPort Express models) to conventional stereo receiver and ancient plasma TV, respectively. Like I said above, depends on your sources and means of control. Apple has built a great deal of flexibility into its audio (and video?) distribution architecture and components.
It would help if you quoted me if you have a question since it will insure I come back to the thread.

Airplay (version 1) does not work with iOS to send to multiple devices unless you use the WHAALE app which is very limited with the number of services it works with. Airplay 2 allows multi-room audio from iOS from the control center. That is a feature people have wanted for years (including myself). Unfortunately, it only works with the limited number of Airplay 2 devices on the market, though that will change quickly with many companies already saying they will support it in future products.

Airplay (1) to multiple rooms has worked for a long time when running iTunes on a computer or running Airfoil on a computer. That being said, the shorter buffer time of Airplay 1 made it hard for people with archaic wifi routers to get a constant stream. It has been one of the main reasons people chose Sonos because of their "mesh" system that had better reliability with these older routers. Of course, if you have a wired computer for controlling everything and all your Airplay devices are on Ethernet, it wouldn't have been an issue, but that is most likely a very small percentage of people. With so many people choosing to use iOS devices for most of their computing needs, it was a necessity for Apple to add Airplay (multi-room) to iOS.

The second feature is if you have a HomePod, you can tell it to play audio on your AppleTV (4 or 4k) or other Airplay 2 devices. This gives you voice control over the Apple Music playing on the AppleTV, which can be very nice to have. Unlike the Echo Dot, the HomePod has fantastic mics so it can hear you over music without raising your voice.

(The funny thing is that I still have a Dot near my HomePod because it controls my entertainment center by voice. This allows me to tell it to turn on my receiver and flip to the correct input before telling the HomePod to tell my AppleTV what to play. Unless Apple adds this type of control of my setup, I will keep the Dots around. I also use them for my shopping lists, so there are a few very nice features the Dots have over the HomePod. )

Last edited:
It would help if you quoted me if you have a question since it will insure I come back to the thread.

Airplay (version 1) does not work with iOS to send to multiple devices unless you use the WHAALE app which is very limited with the number of services it works with. Airplay 2 allows multi-room audio from iOS from the control center. That is a feature people have wanted for years (including myself). Unfortunately, it only works with the limited number of Airplay 2 devices on the market, though that will change quickly with many companies already saying they will support it in future products.

Airplay (1) to multiple rooms has worked for a long time when running iTunes on a computer or running Airfoil on a computer. That being said, the shorter buffer time of Airplay 1 made it hard for people with archaic wifi routers to get a constant stream. It has been one of the main reasons people chose Sonos because of their "mesh" system that had better reliability with these older routers. Of course, if you have a wired computer for controlling everything and all your Airplay devices are on Ethernet, it wouldn't have been an issue, but that is most likely a very small percentage of people. With so many people choosing to use iOS devices for most of their computing needs, it was a necessity for Apple to add Airplay (multi-room) to iOS.

The second feature is if you have a HomePod, you can tell it to play audio on your AppleTV (4 or 4k) or other Airplay 2 devices. This gives you voice control over the Apple Music playing on the AppleTV, which can be very nice to have. Unlike the Echo Dot, the HomePod has fantastic mics so it can hear you over music without raising your voice.

Full quote/reply this time. Sorry for previous lack, thanks for the response.

Didn't realize simultaneous mutliples were unavailable in AirPlay 1 via IOS as I don't use portable devices other than as remote controls for the actual music serving devices. Yes, I find hardwired essential for maintaining data streams. WiFi has been perfectly adequate in communicating async control and status dialogs. Don't use voice control of HomePods since I don't use Apple Music (only ripped iTunes library). I have seen the Siri behavior you note when asking about the weather or suchlike even when the stereo pair is blasting out music (it's very strange to speak normally or even quietly and be "heard" in a noisy room).

Full quote/reply this time. Sorry for previous lack, thanks for the response.

Didn't realize simultaneous mutliples were unavailable in AirPlay 1 via IOS as I don't use portable devices other than as remote controls for the actual music serving devices. Yes, I find hardwired essential for maintaining data streams. WiFi has been perfectly adequate in communicating async control and status dialogs. Don't use voice control of HomePods since I don't use Apple Music (only ripped iTunes library). I have seen the Siri behavior you note when asking about the weather or suchlike even when the stereo pair is blasting out music (it's very strange to speak normally or even quietly and be "heard" in a noisy room).
No problem.

Yes, if you don't use iOS, you would have never noticed it. I think the new buffering they are using also makes it easier to keep everything in sync. This is a huge upgrade over Airplay, even if Airplay 1 worked great for most of us.

Last edited:
I have all of my ripped music on a ca. 2011 MacBook Pro upgraded with a 500GB SSD (it runs fantastic with an SSD BTW). I have Logitech Media Server running on the Mac with a few plugins enabled and use that to stream to Apple Airports in various systems. This works great and also allows me to use airplay to stream from Apple Music when I want to check out new stuff or listen to a 'station'. In my main system I feed the output of one of the Airports to the DAC in my C52 via toslink.

-Matt

Files(mostly ripped from cd's, some downloads as well) on computer, transferred via Wi-Fi to a Squeezebox Touch, which is connected to my system. Pretty simple.

I have ... a ca. 2011 MacBook Pro upgraded with a 500GB SSD (it runs fantastic with an SSD BTW).

I've got the same vintage MBP, the 17" behemoth with the hot (and I mean HOT!) GPU chip. I've still got the 1TB spinner in there (200GB iTunes library is on Mac mini backed up to Time Capsule and NAS) but I'm thinking your 500GB SSD sounds pretty good. Any guidance on who, how, and how much to make it happen?

Back
Top Bottom