What kind of capacitor is this? Domino cap???

thornev

OK, I confess... It's not a Fisher radio so forgive the impure intrusion (there is no GE category on good ol' AK). This cap is from a 1948 model 50 GE clock-radio, one of the first clock-radios which was built by copying the very first clock-radio, a Telechron 8H59 musalarm. I just bought it at an antique store and thought it would be fun to restore.

But a domino-like capacitor??? How does one determine the value from the colored dots? I know it's a color code one can look up. It's funny that it looks like a domino so I posted it for fun. "It appears to be a 6-dot JAN color code."

Thorne

It's called a "molded mica capacitor."

So I think this cap is 220 ?F 100VDC 5% tolerance

PS - Asked and answered:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mica-capacitor-domino-id-question.665790/

More info:
http://www.radioremembered.org/capcode.htm

Attachments

• 20180424_202842.jpg
    20180424_202842.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Silver-mica. Looks like 220pf, 20%, 600v. The trouble is that there are a few different code systems for these, and it can be very confusing as to which you need to use.

cornell-dubilier-cap-a-b.gif

The other commonly used one will have the first dot always as white, black, or silver to indicate mica or paper, then the value is read starting at the second dot.

If you have a DMM with a capacitor selection, you should be able to read the value. Take out of circuit 1st. Definitely download Gadgets pics, SAVE and blow them up. Us old guys need BIG MAGNIFIERS!

Had my Eye's checked y'day (1st time in 15 years) my close up was the worst of the 3. Went from a +1.25 to a +2.75 on the closeup, a +0.75 to a +1.25 on the intermediate, and distance went from a minus number to a plus number (difference greater than 5.0.) Axis was the only thing that didn't change. Plus they put in a 2 BASE OUT diopter for my astigmatism and tendency for my LEFT EYE to cross over. Same damned problem I had in NAVY 45 years ago, but back then it was a 4 base out dioppter. They wil be about 1/2" thick on outside of lens and 1/8" on inside.

2 pair of glasses (1 sunglass bifocal for driving) and a clear pair of TRI-FOCALS, >$400.00. I got them to put the lines for the intermediate and closeup 4mm higher than normal so I don't have to bend my neck back which I can't do too much from the C-5 to C-7 fusion 9 years ago. So I'm plodding along with glasses that are held together with heatshrink tubing, spit and bailing wire. Frames are 28 years old and lenses are 15. I think I got my $$$$ worth out of them

I'm right there with you, Larry. Eyes getting worse; ears getting worse, nose can't smell what's for dinner anymore, what's next? Can't feel hot and cold? You must be a sight with those glasses ! I can see it now... Radio Geek. :) One day at a time, right?

Yep! The glasses are an effect of me doing physical exams when I was in NAVY, and the room was 6ftwide, and 20ft deep, a table and a projector, and Dark for 8 hours a day. I kept getting migraines, and crosseyed. So off to Optometry, and did 6 months of eye exercises to stave off the lazy eye, and got trifocals. To say I looked like a bow tied, pocket protector, sliderule carrying GEEK was an understatement. The Chief was pissed when I gave him the note from the optometrist saying "NO MORE EYE TESTING FOR HM3 Derouin". I ended up being the Utility cleanup man in the Dept. Got good at everything. Loved sticking an 18Ga 2-1/2" needle for blood draw's into some big burly Boatswain Mate with tattoo sleeves in everyplace on his body, and having the SOB pass out! LOL! Put an ammonia ampoule in each nostril and then give his nose a TWEAK! Gotta move fast too.

Hell you only got 2 or 3 more things to go wrong and then you might as well turn off the lights. As long as your mem....:confused:...Oh yeah, your memory and your 2nd brain works, all is NOT LOST!:oops: But if you are having problems remembering in which brain a certain piece of info is, :biggrin: Hang it up! :yikes::yikes:

Larry, those goggles oughta beef up your neck muscles just trying to keep from planting your snoot into the high voltage guts of your next"victim"!
As the saying goes, gettin' old ain't for sissies. ..:rflmao:

Polycarbonate is quite light, but you risk scratches. Glass on the other hand is heavy as hell, and is pretty scratch resistant unless you get welding spatter on them. Shouldn't have any problems with the Glasses. The PRO-4AA's give me one hell of a workout!

Roger on the weighty phones, I have the pro 4 AAA's. I only use for ops checks & little else, as I have a set of audio-technica ath-a700 art monitors which sound better, at least to me.
Seldom use phones though, as there's nobody here but me & the cats to shield from the audio blast radiation! :rockon:

Same here. Just me and the dog. Now they only get used when the kids are over. I've been using the Pro-4 series since a freshman in High School (when Noah was a seaman apprentice) and the pair of AA's Will is wearing in my Avatar is only 2 years old. I still have my "A"s and use them but the headband is gone so it's just the metal. Koss re-wired them about 10 years ago, and surprisingly the ear cushions are the same so I can use them too for a long while

Back
Top Bottom