what kind of EPI's are these

ohskigod

Bangerdebangerdedang!!!!
these are unlike any i have seen have 2 concave tweeters and 2 8" woofers. there owner says he got them in 1971 (ish). he has 2 pairs, on one pair, 2 of the woofers are frozen. I was wondering what the model number was and if anyone had thse woofers floating around. thanx

(this is the first time i ever posted a pic on this sight, if i screw up, i apologize)

hey, their not mine, this is how i found em. they sound great, and they way a friggin ton!

OK EPI 201

Dimensions: 28" x 18" x 11"
Weight: 40 lbs
Response: 30 to 18k Hz
RMS Power: 20 to 100 watts
Crossover: 1800 Hz ACC 004 C
Driver complement: Two 8" woofers
Two 1" air spring dome tweeters
Impedance: 4 or 16 ohms
MSRP: 398.00 - 438.00
Built: 1971 - 76

epi201b.jpg

thanks, thats them, all tha stats seem right to, except the wight, they feel heavier than 40 lbs!. maybe i'm just getting weaker in my old age.

anyone know where he can get replacement woofers, or should i just search ebay for them.

lots of sources

ebay has them from time to time. I sold a set that needed surrounds. I'm pretty sure they are the standard 8" used in many of the EPI speakers like the 100 and the 150. www.humanspeakers.com will have info/parts for them. or try a post in the AK wanted/for sale section, I'm sure lots members have EPI stuff stock piled. I have a set of 100, 150, A70 and A1100. none being used at the moment but I have em anyway:D

The pair with the frozen woofers... I'll bet 10-to-1 that the magnets have probably shifted. I've seen several do this, and have managed to fix most of them. It ain't easy- sometimes it takes removing the whole cone assembly, shimming/epoxying the magnet back on, and putting the thing back together with a new spider and surround. A few times, I've gotten lucky, and have just managed to pull up the loose magnet a bit, squeeze some epoxy into the broken joint, and re-center it "by hand", moving the coil in-and-out to verify clearance. I would NOT recommend this to ANYONE who hasn't done it before, and/or who has an IMMENSE amount of patience and dexterity... it's not an easy job.

On the pair that seems to work correctly- unless the voice coils have been burnt and warped (unlikely, IME), you'll just need to re-foam those. Speaking from extensive experience (I'm collecting EPI woofers for a project- I've got like 21 EPI and Genesis woofers at this point, out of 24 that I need), those are a real cinch to repair... one of the easiest possible re-foam jobs.

Word to the wise- even IF the rubber surround on an old EPI LOOKS OK, CAREFULLY inspect it for weather-cracking where the surround "turns the corner" from the roll to the flat parts... they often start cracking there. Also, the rubber surrounds have a tendency to get stiff... by this age, it's unlikely that any of them will still be as compliant as they need to be (resonance will probably have gone up from 28 Hz to something like 35 Hz or so). I've gotten, to where as a matter of practice, I just refoam EVERY EPI woofer I'm planning to use, using FOAM surrounds. EPI did this themselves, in all the newer models of the classic series speakers, so I feel justified...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
BTW: I was discussing EPI woofers with Grumpy in a thread in the For Sale section, and he mentioned that he has several pairs. You oughtta see if he'd be willing to sell you a pair... bet he would...

BTW^2... if you get any woofers to replace the frozen ones, I'd be willing to give you $5 each for the frozen woofers, to ship 'em to me. Bet I can fix 'em... and that'd put me within 1 woofer of the whole set of 24 I need, if I can. Plus, it's just neat to be able to fix something that normally would be FUBAR... sense of accomplishment and all that.
:D

Regards,
Gordon.

i gave the speaker owner a print out of this thread. i told him if he changes them that you want the old ones, ill see what he wants to do. thanx for the help.

Back
Top Bottom