• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot pepper sauce
  • 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
  • juice of one lemon
  • 5 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, washed, patted dry, coarsely chopped
  • dry sherry, for garnish (optional)
Directions
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Brown turtle meat along with seafood and meat seasonings; cook about 20 minutes, or until liquid is almost evaporated.
  2. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic while stirring constantly. Add thyme and bay leaves; reduce heat to medium and sauté (stirring frequently) 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and start to caramelize.
  3. Add stock and tomato puree; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes, periodically skimming away any fat that rises to the top.
  4. While stock is simmering, make roux. Heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour, a little at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon – being careful not to burn the roux.
  5. After flour is added, cook about 3 minutes, until roux smells nutty, is pale in color and the consistency of wet sand.
  6. Using a whisk, vigorously stir roux into soup, a little at a time to prevent lumping. Simmer uncovered about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom.
  7. Add sherry and bring to a boil. Add hot sauce and Worcestershire; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until starchy flavor is gone, skimming any fat or foam that rises to the top.
  8. Add lemon juice; return to a simmer 15 to 20 minutes

I've never had Turtle soup. Your recipe sounds very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

-Dave

Here you go...

Back in the depression era, a person might show up at a house and ask for some water for his cooking pot because he wanted to make some soup.

It was noticed that the only thing in the pot was the large nail.

“What kind of soup are you making?”

“I’m making a delicious nail soup,”

“How could it be delicious? There is no seasoning.”

“I have no seasoning. I have only a nail.”

“I have garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary that survived the drought. I’ll add those to the pot,”

Soon, the simmering water captured the aroma of the herbs. More people came in curiosity.

“I have some beets that I can contribute,” offered another.

Then, the soup began to turn red!

A man brought a few potatoes. One had two onions. A woman gave a bunch of carrots. Someone threw in corn. Before long, every person in the village, bringing what little they had, contributed to the pot of simmering soup. An old man killed and plucked his only chicken and put it in the pot. Before long the entire village had gathered, savoring the pleasant aroma and looking forward to the delicious soup.

Finally, the person said, “I think the soup is ready. If each person will bring a spoon and a bowl, I have a ladle. We will all have supper together.”

Here you go...

Back in the depression era, a person might show up at a house and ask for some water for his cooking pot because he wanted to make some soup.

It was noticed that the only thing in the pot was the large nail.

“What kind of soup are you making?”

“I’m making a delicious nail soup,”

“How could it be delicious? There is no seasoning.”

“I have no seasoning. I have only a nail.”

“I have garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary that survived the drought. I’ll add those to the pot,”

Soon, the simmering water captured the aroma of the herbs. More people came in curiosity.

“I have some beets that I can contribute,” offered another.

Then, the soup began to turn red!

A man brought a few potatoes. One had two onions. A woman gave a bunch of carrots. Someone threw in corn. Before long, every person in the village, bringing what little they had, contributed to the pot of simmering soup. An old man killed and plucked his only chicken and put it in the pot. Before long the entire village had gathered, savoring the pleasant aroma and looking forward to the delicious soup.

Finally, the person said, “I think the soup is ready. If each person will bring a spoon and a bowl, I have a ladle. We will all have supper together.”

Thanks for the explanation. I saw the references to a folk tale in my google search. I should have read one of them. ;) :)

-Dave

I've never heard of Nail soup. A quick google search doesn't turn up any solid recipes. Perhaps my google fu is weak. Seems like it could be made from almost anything. Is this a refrigerator velcro recipe that you make from whatever you have on hand?

I'm curious about your version.

-Dave

I think nail soup refers to the same fable as stone soup.

Stone soup is fine, unless you have an iron deficiency, then use the nail :)

When I was a kid, my dad and I both really liked Campbell's Scotch Broth soup.

The key to chicken soup is the chicken: The older and tougher the better. A good old soup hen takes about four hours on the heat to be able to be broken up. The first two hours you cannot even put a fork into it. I find them frozen in the lower-rent grocery stores. Dirt cheap. They make a delicious roast as well; the cooking time is much longer. Much more flavor in an old bird.

s-l300.jpg

I like a good Wonton Soup, and a Hot&Sour Soup if they're made right. Same with Japanese Miso Soup.
A good Mexican Style Beef Caldo can be very tasty and enjoyable as well.

Cream Soups, yep Cream of Mushroom, Asparagus, Beef&Barley, Split Pea& Ham, great when it's cold, and always a good Chicken Soup.

Often I'd go off key and experiment with a Chicken Soup, throw in a bit of Garden Swiss Chard, or some Spinach, a few Pea Pods, and even divide the Celery addition to being 1/2 regular Celery, and 1/2 Bok Choy. The Bok Choy has a nice mild flavor. A little Parsley. even a little Tomato, but not too much.

The key I'd try to remember with Chicken Soup, was not to overdo any of the ingredients,

Sometimes I'd like what some of the Mexican folks would do with Chicken Soup, would be to squeeze on just a very small dash of fresh Lime. Ever try it? You'd be surprised how it seems to bring out the flavor of other veggies in the soup.

Or, I might add a little bit of fresh grated Parm or Romano Cheese on top to finish. Especially when I'd make the Chicken soup with Ancini De Pepe.

Mushroom and onion soups are nice and easy, and I don't mind the pre-made, dehydrated version that prepare in a few minutes. But my favorite kind of soup is "fasolada", which is a giand bean soup with plenty of herbs and tomato. When the soup is creamy and the beans are crispy outside and creamy inside, then you have the perfect results.
You can use almost the same ingredients and different process and bake them in the oven for a few hours at low temperature for a totally different but exceptional result.

Back
Top Bottom