What Kind of Soup Do You Like?

Pho' (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

It all starts by simmering a hefty quantity of marrow bones, and a nice bundle of tendons, for about 12 hours. Then, we remove the bones, clean everything off into the broth, and toss out the clean bones. Then we remove the tendon bundle and slice it, setting it aside for later.

Then we add ox tails and a slab of nice brisket, cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom pods, whole black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, large onion chunks, shallots, Vietnamese fish sauce, and Vietnamese yellow rock sugar. Simmer it all for an additional 5 hours. We then remove the brisket, and slice it for later, and remove the ox tails and set them aside, intact, for later.

We then take the remaining simmering product, and remove the bits and chunks of meat and connective tissue and separate them into goodies for the dog and goodies for us. We set the goodies for us aside for later. We then skim off off the fat, for use in cooking other meals (super with the spice complement reflected in it). Then we strain the broth through cheese cloth, to get everything but the broth out, tossing out the solids from the straining. The resulting broth is divided up into single serving packs, and all but 2 servings are put into the freezer for easy use, on later days.

All of the preceding was for the broth...only.

At serving time, the boiling broth is poured over a large group of yummies: Pho noodles (special rice noodles), home-grown mung-bean sprouts, super thin sliced rib eye (raw), sliced raw red onions, the meats previously set aside (sliced brisket, ox tail, sliced tendon, and meat/connective tissue bits/chunks), milk tripe, and Vietnamese beef balls. Just before serving, the soup is dressed with fresh, torn Thai basil and Vietnamese mint, scallions (cut lengthwise), a squeeze of fresh lime, a squirt of Hoisin sauce, and a squirt of Sriracha. Et...voila! The fruit of almost 20 hours of work:

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

Indonesian - Sup Buntot

I boil beef bones and tendon for 12-14 hours, then remove the clean bones, and add oxtails and beef neck bones.

No salt or spices are used at this stage. When the broth is ready, the products from the bones and tendon are set aside, along with the oxtails and neck bones. Then, the oil is skimmed off of the top, and set aside to cook other things in. Then, most of the spices are ground into a paste, and tempered in hot oil in a saute pan, then added to the broth after a bit of caramelization, and simmered for a good while. When the broth and spices have matured, the broth is run through a sieve, in go the vegetables, and back in go the oxtails, and simmering continues until the veggies are done. The results are served, with a variety of garnishes, to be added as desired to customize your own bowl. Sup buntot is served with a bowl of rice, to round things out.

Here is what goes in: beef marrow bones, beef oxtails, beef neck bones, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemongrass, galangal, nutmeg (I use 50-50 of nutmeg and its covering, mace, for a bit more bite), cubed carrots, cubed potatoes, sea salt, palm sugar, hot white pepper, shallots, garlic, onion, and coriander. Here are the garnishments for serving time: sliced tomatoes, sliced scallions, Chinese celery leaves, wedges of fresh lime, French-fried onion slivers, and hot chili sauce (chopped Thai dragon chilies and Indonesian sweet soy sauce).

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

Pho' (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

It all starts by simmering a hefty quantity of marrow bones, and a nice bundle of tendons, for about 12 hours. Then, we remove the bones, clean everything off into the broth, and toss out the clean bones. Then we remove the tendon bundle and slice it, setting it aside for later.

Then we add ox tails and a slab of nice brisket, cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom pods, whole black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, large onion chunks, shallots, Vietnamese fish sauce, and Vietnamese yellow rock sugar. Simmer it all for an additional 5 hours. We then remove the brisket, and slice it for later, and remove the ox tails and set them aside, intact, for later.

We then take the remaining simmering product, and remove the bits and chunks of meat and connective tissue and separate them into goodies for the dog and goodies for us. We set the goodies for us aside for later. We then skim off off the fat, for use in cooking other meals (super with the spice complement reflected in it). Then we strain the broth through cheese cloth, to get everything but the broth out, tossing out the solids from the straining. The resulting broth is divided up into single serving packs, and all but 2 servings are put into the freezer for easy use, on later days.

All of the preceding was for the broth...only.

At serving time, the boiling broth is poured over a large group of yummies: Pho noodles (special rice noodles), home-grown mung-bean sprouts, super thin sliced rib eye (raw), sliced raw red onions, the meats previously set aside (sliced brisket, ox tail, sliced tendon, and meat/connective tissue bits/chunks), milk tripe, and Vietnamese beef balls. Just before serving, the soup is dressed with fresh, torn Thai basil and Vietnamese mint, scallions (cut lengthwise), a squeeze of fresh lime, a squirt of Hoisin sauce, and a squirt of Sriracha. Et...voila! The fruit of almost 20 hours of work:

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P
Or..........we go to many of the Atlanta area Pho restaurants and buy a large bowl of soup for 9 dollars:banana:
What you have done is the real deal and really worth the wait and effort when done right. Kudo’s!

Or..........we go to many of the Atlanta area Pho restaurants and buy a large bowl of soup for 9 dollars:banana:
What you have done is the real deal and really worth the wait and effort when done right. Kudo’s!
Our Pho gets separated into separate, single serving components, and frozen. It freezes very well, except for the fresh ingredients, like bean sprouts, mint, cilantro, Thai basil, etc. It takes around 26 hours for the first bowl of a batch. After that, we can have Pho in 20 minutes.

Please notice that MSG is not used, or even required. Restaurant Pho tends to have a lot of it, which my beloved bride does not tolerate well (bad headaches). We have a couple of Pho restaurants here, and I like eating there as well.

I would estimate that our Pho comes in at around $5 per bowl.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I posted this in the Show Us Your Dinner thread awhile back but it's my favorite soup. I like soup that's as thick as stew with lots of flavor.

My wife made one of my favorite dishes last night...and we didn't eat it until today. We feel that pea soup with ham not only tastes better on the second day, but it thickens up in the fridge. She adds carrots, onions, split peas and garlic. Here's a photo to show how thick it is. :D

index.php

I posted this in the Show Us Your Dinner thread awhile back but it's my favorite soup. I like soup that's as thick as stew with lots of flavor.

My wife made one of my favorite dishes last night...and we didn't eat it until today. We feel that pea soup with ham not only tastes better on the second day, but it thickens up in the fridge. She adds carrots, onions, split peas and garlic. Here's a photo to show how thick it is. :D

index.php

That's real deal comfort food right there. :trebon: :beerchug:

-Dave

Really like soup … Manhattan Clam Chowder being one of my favorites. I learned how to cook various soup recipes (and others) by watching episodes of the Urban Peasant in my 30's. Really miss James RIP. He made cooking meals look fun :thumbsup: and always made me laugh. His last act on this earth was making a pot of chicken soup … a fitting end to man who taught thousands of home chef's how to make great meals with everyday ingredients. As he would say … "you have to cook with what you have on hand".

Last edited:

index.php
Needs more meat lol, and you're right I should be calling this pea stew.

20151228_090744.jpg 20151228_154917.jpg 20151228_181909.jpg

My favorite though would have to be bouillabaisse, though I've never made it myself I've eaten it many times.

Bouillabaisse-Top-View.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2731.JPG

Mexican Chicken Soup that I made yesterday.

Chicken Stock, onion, garlic powder, pinto beans, black beans, shredded chicken, corn, cumin, diced roasted Hatch chili's, pkg Chicken Taco seasoning, can of Rotel, a little butter. I cut flour tortillas into strips and added last 5 minutes (it makes Noodles). Topped in bowl with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions. I used a rotisserie chicken from the store. Everything else came from a can except roasted Hatch chili's. 10 minutes prep time and cooked for 30 minutes. Easy peazy and delicious!

Last edited:
Mexican Chicken Soup that I made yesterday.I used a rotisserie chicken from the store.
Added this one to my recipe archives, Thanks! We almost always have leftover rotisserie chicken.
Since the rest of the family prefer the white meat I get all the rest for myself to do with as I wish.
Chicken stock and red meat, a win-win situation in my book:thumbsup:

My own onion soup - make a good beef bone stock (I use the pressure cooker for this), defat, carmelize Lots of onions perfectly, add one cup of stock and reduce to a glaze, repeat, add remaining stock, salt, and bouquet garni, simmer for twenty minutes, ladle into crocks, top with homemade croutons and grated gruyere, and broil on low to perfection. Mmmmm

Oxtail soup, but I haven't had it in 20 years since Mom died. The Fishwife wouldn't eat it if she knew what it was. Mom would take the meat off the bones so she wouldn't know. Something about where the Ox's tail is located on the ox. :dunno: Surprisingly, Campbell's used to make it in a can decades ago.

I don't think I make soup. All my stuff is too thick. So I guess it qualifies as a stew. Beef stew, chicken an noodles, Chilie, etc.

I made my annual vat of Turducken soup over the 3 day weekend. Made outside on a 'Louisiana Rig" burner, with my Cajun Cooker 30 quart pot. Started with 6 gallons of water from the hose, hey why carry that heavy pot from the sink to the deck? A turkey carcass, 2 duck carcasses and 3 chicken carcasses plus carrots, celery, onions, shallots, & parsnips to make the stock. Thyme, garlic, peppercorns, Sea Salt, Lemon Thyme placed in paper tea bags for seasoning, tied with butcher's twine.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a moderate boil for 2 hours. Remove the carcasses, veggies and tea bags using the handy dandy insert strainer. This will have reduced by 1-2 gallons depending on how rapid your boil was. I then strained the remaining stock into 2 large pots, netting roughly 4 gallons of stock. Allow to cool and skim fat. The smaller pot was put in the fridge ot finish the next day, but I finished the larger pot on the same day.
I brought the stock back up to a boil and continued to skim fat off the top. Round 2 begins with a new batch of vegetables, same as above. I find noodles do not freeze well so I use parsnips to lend some crunch to the soup. The second round of vegetables really give depth to the soup, a trick I picked up from a chef buddy of mine. Do not overcook the veggies the second go round, they should be Al Dente. Another round of herbs and season to taste with fresh cracked pepper and salt. I only add the chicken and turkey meat to warm through. I now have plenty of containers of Turducken soup to see us through the winter.

Last edited:
Cream of leek and potato

now you just need to add roasted garlic ...lots of it

combine yours with this
i first saw it on the frugal gourmet a long time ago
and like any soup you can make what you want of it

so i make a combo of yours and this
roasted garlic is not pungent .... its fairly sweet

easier to roast the garlic as whole heads in a covered muffin pan

Serves 4

26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
18 garlic cloves, peeled
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
4 lemon wedges

Back
Top Bottom