26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
18 garlic cloves, peeled
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
4 lemon wedges

Those recipes look very good. Either alone, or combined! :trebon:

-Dave

Pho' (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

It all starts by simmering a hefty quantity of marrow bones, and a nice bundle of tendons, for about 12 hours. Then, we remove the bones, clean everything off into the broth, and toss out the clean bones. Then we remove the tendon bundle and slice it, setting it aside for later.

Then we add ox tails and a slab of nice brisket, cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom pods, whole black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, large onion chunks, shallots, Vietnamese fish sauce, and Vietnamese yellow rock sugar. Simmer it all for an additional 5 hours. We then remove the brisket, and slice it for later, and remove the ox tails and set them aside, intact, for later.

We then take the remaining simmering product, and remove the bits and chunks of meat and connective tissue and separate them into goodies for the dog and goodies for us. We set the goodies for us aside for later. We then skim off off the fat, for use in cooking other meals (super with the spice complement reflected in it). Then we strain the broth through cheese cloth, to get everything but the broth out, tossing out the solids from the straining. The resulting broth is divided up into single serving packs, and all but 2 servings are put into the freezer for easy use, on later days.

All of the preceding was for the broth...only.

At serving time, the boiling broth is poured over a large group of yummies: Pho noodles (special rice noodles), home-grown mung-bean sprouts, super thin sliced rib eye (raw), sliced raw red onions, the meats previously set aside (sliced brisket, ox tail, sliced tendon, and meat/connective tissue bits/chunks), milk tripe, and Vietnamese beef balls. Just before serving, the soup is dressed with fresh, torn Thai basil and Vietnamese mint, scallions (cut lengthwise), a squeeze of fresh lime, a squirt of Hoisin sauce, and a squirt of Sriracha. Et...voila! The fruit of almost 20 hours of work:

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

OH my goodness! When I read this, it reminded me how truly complex deliciousness doesn't come from a package or 30 minutes of effort. The best ingredient is love and this recipe doesn't get done without love. Kudos to you. It must be amazing! Thank you-

OH my goodness! When I read this, it reminded me how truly complex deliciousness doesn't come from a package or 30 minutes of effort. The best ingredient is love and this recipe doesn't get done without love. Kudos to you. It must be amazing! Thank you-
You should try Indonesian Sup Buntot. It also takes a long time and bears a wonderful complexity. Currently, I am making my first batch of Birria, a stew from Jalisco, Mexico. I am very surprised by the ingredients that have gone in. It is marinading until tomorrow. More to come...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Tom Kha Gai

Thai Tom Kha Gai: chunks of chicken thigh meat, coconut milk, chicken broth, kha (galangal, similar to ginger but a totally different flavor), lemongrass, wedges of onion, wedges of fresh Eclipse tomatoes, crushed kaffir lime leaves, quartered Crimini mushrooms, Thai dragon chiles, sea salt, lime juice, cilantro leaves and tender stems, chunks of green bell pepper, and Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat brand).

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

Egg Drop soup
French Onion
Potato soup
Broccoli soup
Won ton soup

Campbell's Bean with Bacon & add a pinch of Garlic powder & pinch of Onion Powder and Black Pepper.

Anything CREAM. The thicker the better. If the spoon stands up...that's a good sign!:biggrin:

And homemade soup..

Q

Last edited:
Anything CREAM. The thicker the better. If the spoon stands up...that's a good sign!:biggrin:

And homemade.

Q
With Campbell's Won Ton & Chicken Noodle soup I add CORNSTARCH ..
Take 1 Table Spoon of Cornstarch put in cup and add about 1/8 cup of water ( ish ) stir until smooth... Then Slowly Add to the BOILING Soup to Thicken. ..

If you make Campbell's Potato or Broccoli soups use only HALF & HALF cream NOT milk for thicker better soup!

One of my favorites is also extremely simple to make: I just put a couple of cups of navy beans and a couple of smoked ham hocks in the pot with plenty of water, then bring to a boil and simmer for about 2~3 hours, 'til the beans start to break down and the meat comes off the bones easily. I munch on the 'connective tissue' while separating the meat from the bones, then chop and put it back in the pot. It's creamy and pretty well seasoned as-is, but you can certainly make adjustments if desired. I like it with Frank's Red Hot sauce.

Another all-time favorite recipe isn't a proper soup --- it's eaten with a fork --- but it's called French Onion Soup because the ingredients are essentially identical. Maybe French Onion Strata would be a better name. The broth is absorbed by dried bread cubes with the cheese is mixed in, then it's baked to brown the top.

I like almost anything anyone is proud to present that doesn't have more than a hint of capsacin. A little sparkle is fine if it complements the overall essence.

Back
Top Bottom