What Kind of Soup Do You Like?

I can't be the only one here who loves this stuff:

450.jpg
This is my other half's comfort food when ill. I like it too.

Chicken soup. Has to be range chicken, freshly plucked/dressed and female that is about ready to lay it’s first egg. Boil till tender and put what ingredients comes to mind according to ones taste.

This last weekend I made a BIG pot of Chili. 16 servings. On New years eve I made 12 servings of bean soup (Navy & Great northern with leftover Christmas ham) I hope this tides me over during the shutdown.

For chicken soup use a tough old hen. A good one will need 4 hours to be tender. Young chickens do not make a good broth. They can be found in low-cost groceries frozen like a turkey.

Beef Barley for me

Oh man that reminds me. South of here in Gardnerville is a little golf course. We would go there a couple times a year for 18 holes in the morning. They had a little Basque restaurant. Order the lunch special and they always started you off with a beef barley soup. It was to die for. Not a big soup fan, but that was maybe my favorite soup.

Udon

There are a myriad ways to prepare this tasty celebration in a bowl. I sort of put this one together on the fly, from what I had in the fridge.

Broth: dashi, made from kombu (Japanese kelp) and katsuobushi (bonito flakes), mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine), soy sauce, sugar and sea salt.

Goodies: udon noodles, fried tofu slices, sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced scallions, kamaboko (Japanese fish cake), sprinkled with shichimi (Japanese seven-spice mix).

A3D2D52A-D440-4406-909E-5B63B44D4E21.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

So many great soups. Made from scratch, as the canned ones are loaded with sodium.

Butternut Squash soup. Lotta work peeling and cutting those squash, but always worth the effort.

Loaded Baked Potato soup. Any potato based soup is good, but this one... yum!

Caldo Verde. Garlicky Linguisa with kale. Simple but delicious. A Portuguese speciality. Will be making tonite.

Tomato with poached eggs on toast. Freshly cut, peeled tomatoes, eggs poached right in the simmering soup. So good!

Pho' (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

I made this batch of broth back in September. This was the last, lonely serving I had left. It freezes very well, so I freeze individual servings, after the first bowls are enjoyed. Since it was the last and only one single serving, it stood in the way of making a new batch, or in enjoying it when there was more than one person at the table. Since I had the required fresh elements on hand, and my beloved bride had already eaten before I got up, I had this today.

A detailed description of how I prepare the broth for this can be found here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-soup-do-you-like.828566/page-3#post-11926602

Today, in the broth, I put the following, rather country, elements in: fresh basil and mint (from the garden out back), cilantro, mung bean sprouts, scallion segments, slivers of red onion, sliced beef tendon, oxtail, honeycomb tripe, Vietnamese beef meatballs, fresh-squeezed lime juice, Hoisin sauce, and Sriracha sauce.

This was all washed down with an ice-cold Deschutes "Black Butte Porter."

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I like soups you can make a meal out of. I'm not too crazy about soups that are nothing more than broth with a pinch of solid food particles. Here's my chicken tortilla soup.

cxT2jBf.jpg

Recipe:
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper
1 large skinless chicken breast
2 cups (1 bag) frozen corn
1⁄2 cup water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Saute onion, garlic, jalapeno and red pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.

Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.

After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breast and shred.

Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.

Top with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

My new favorite Chinese restaurant makes an amazing chicken noodle soup. A nice clear broth, like a consume, shaved pieces of pea pods, carrots, and scallions. A good amount of thinly sliced chicken and plenty of noodles. It's God's own medicine!

-Dave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom