What makes you feel that your digital photos are safe?

All mine are backed up to: 1> A 1TB Toshiba HD. 2>A 1 TB WD HD. 3> The CLOUD, which is probably the least secure.

I'm in my mid-60s and after I'm gone nobody in the family will care if the files all disappear.

I almost forgot........I have two backups on DVD.....which may be the first format to go defunct.

I know some write able cd/dvd media are considered more stable than others. I’m not sure if any are truely archival. But then what electronic media is?

3 external hard drives. Total of 10 terabytes. Plus the older stuff is also on CDs and DVDs and smaller two 250 MB external drives.

Photos and art. Some of my hi-rez art and Photoshop files are 500+ MB.

By comparison, I have so far have photographed nearly 2,000 of my records and CDs. The combined file size comes to around 550 MB.

Last edited:
My analog films are safer as I do have backups of the scanned negatives but also have the actual negatives as a last resort.
The digital files are on my computer, backed up on two 2TB drives that get mounted on a USB external HD craddle and copied onto them every time I download images from the camera. One drive remains in a drawer by the computer, the second one goes into a small vault in the house.
The selected images from the lot of the heap are also stored on a cloud drive. Don't have "sensitive" or "copyright worthy" images so I'm not really worried about privacy but the cloud seems to be an "off the building" backup in case of disaster.
The above procedure is not only about photographs, but the really important data we all have that are so small in size they could well fit on a small USB drive or - sometimes - even on a CD. Photographs, especially raw files, are a bitch with their size and the speed by which they can be produced. In my first month with a dSLR (2006) I shot more pictures than I had in my entire life thus far, which was around 150 rolls of films.

Ah, for the bad old days when folk only took pics worth taking. Now most of us are so buried in inconsequential drivel that we seldom have time to look at them and couldn't find what's worth looking at even if we did ...

"Look - here's my kid spitting up green stuff ... and here he is spitting up yellow stuff!"

My "keepers" are all printed and in albums, some wrinkled and yellowed with age - but then aren't we all?

Well I took plenty of lousy pictures on film too. I don't miss it at all. I love being able to go out at take 400 shots at a location for no additional cost.

I know some write able cd/dvd media are considered more stable than others. I’m not sure if any are truely archival. But then what electronic media is?

Supposedly M-DISC fits the bill, next to gold / archival grade discs. My blu ray burner supports M-DISC but I think they're expensive, never really looked into trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom