What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by CarlV, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Martin 530

Martin 530 New Member

Thanks for the post
    I will report out on Sunday
    Can't wait to hook it up.

2. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

You're raising the volume level of the preamp simply because those two amps have different sensitivity specs, which is fine, and which is why the preamp has such a wide range of output (0-99). My C220 is set at 35-45 for most listening, up to 50 on occasion. (I have all inputs trimmed to 0.0dB.) I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as distortion in the tube stage, and those tubes hit a solid-state buffer before they go to the amp (which is why the C220 can drive amps with unusually low input impedance).

Anyway, how's it sound? Does the MC152 win?

3. Martin Angus

Martin Angus New Member

1978 C28 preamp and M2105 amp. 1973 ML-1C speakers...still on the hunt for the MQ101
    Actually the speakers are in final restoration stage. Refoamed the 8's and repaired a small strip of loose veneer then touched up a few minor dings with dark walnut stain. Tomorrow I refoam the 12's and they are done...feels like Christmas eve when I was a kid!

damacman likes this.
  4. DUALityOFman

DUALityOFman New Member

This is my first post to this forum. Like so many who grew up with great stereo systems and sound, I have recently returned to my old gear and the sound that has been lost with bluetooth and the subwoofer/tiny wall boxes that came before that. I had sold most of my things but kept my receiver, a Mcintosh 4100. It plays like the day I got it so long ago. It's good to be back. I am amazed by the volume (pun intended) of incredibly helpful threads. I've been scanning the forum here for a few days. Thanks to all of you who share your knowledge...especially if you are able to do it without this: "Yeah, I bought one of those at Goodwill last week for 3 marbles and a 2 day old banana peel." I should note there are a couple of Klipsch Heresy I s attached to my upstart system. The torch is for cleaning LPs.

upload_2017-10-20_23-44-34.png

5. samurai7595

samurai7595 Member

Ordered a McIntosh MCD350 SACD/CD player to use with my McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver. :)

joeinid likes this.
  6. zagoras

zagoras New Member

I am using 2 Mc 1.2 KW, 3 MC 601, CA 50, MX 150, MT 10 (and the Mc clock :)

7. dedhedbill

dedhedbill New Member

My system;

MCT450
    MT5
    MP1100
    D1100
    C1100
    2 MC601
    2 MC2301
    MEN220
    JBL Array 1400
    JBL Array 1500 subs

8. samurai7595

samurai7595 Member

Very nice indeed!
    What source was playing in your system?

9. dedhedbill

dedhedbill New Member

Thanks. The source is a Bluesound Vault 2. Ripped from CD. I have a copy of that album on vinyl and I think it sounds better that way, but I can't stop playing with that Vault. It holds an incredible amount of music and I can control it through the app on my phone. It's great for sitting outside having a couple beers and listening to music. Unfortunately, I think the weather for that is about gone for this year.

joeinid likes this.
  10. longgone

longgone AK Subscriber Subscriber

DSCN8682.JPG

oh oh... pretty shabby. Just trying to figure something out.
    All Mac, 'though.
    4100, MCD500, MR78, C27, MC2205, 1.2s.

Attached Files:

ossidian likes this.
  11. zagoras

zagoras New Member

I have 2 MC 1.2 KW, 3 MC 601, MT 10, CA 50, MX 150 (soon to be replaced by MX 122). I am very happy with my Audio units, less happy with the MX side.

I use Sonus Faber Il Cremonese as my main speakers. Also have a pair of Amati Futuras with Homage Vox as center on the way.

joeinid likes this.
  12. joeinid

joeinid Well-Known Member

Hi,

The MC1.2KW have been dream amps of mine forever. You have a wonderful system.

13. samurai7595

samurai7595 Member

Streaming is lots of fun and provides music for hours on end.

I'm using an Aurender N100H digital streamer with built-in hard drive (storage). The user interface is extremely robust & reliable and I run it from my Apple iPad Mini.

14. ColonelKurtz

ColonelKurtz Are my methods unsound?

IMG_5241.JPG
    McIntosh MAC4300V receiver makes my Thorens TD 125 MK I sound excellent!

mrz80, FauxHall and MCD275 like this.
  15. mrz80

mrz80 I guess it's in my blood

Right there with you, neighbor, except mine's a 4100. :D

ColonelKurtz likes this.
  16. ColonelKurtz

ColonelKurtz Are my methods unsound?

Another great one, or so I hear! I just tracked down the HR-4300 remote for the 4300V today...

17. mrz80

BIG changes happening, at least temporarily... If you look down-forum, you'll see the stretched out saga of my MAC-4100 woes. Got me thinking about that MX-112 my brother sent south with me, with some unspecified ailment. Well, after hooking it up to an amp and an antenna, and feeding it some signals, and lo and behold I can't find a single solitary thing wrong with it. Ok, fine. Now I need an amp...

That took me to the back-breaking hulk of a 275 sitting just over my left shoulder. After finding a VERY helpful thread about diagnosing power woes without having the tubes plugged in, I gritted my teeth, cracked open the amp and took a look around. Huh, no visible issues - no scorch marks, damaged or broken components, etc. Maybe it was the tube that was bad? Dug out the variac and hooked it up, pulled all the tubes, and ran it up to 117V and started measuring. Nothing was amiss. Put in the little guys; still good. Pulled out one of my precious spare KT88s, tubed up the big sockets, and still no anomalies! It LIVES!

As Solomon wrote, there is nothing new under the sun; everything that is old becomes new again. Now the main system in the family room has the MX-112 and the MC-275, both of which at various times lived in the parents' and the brother's systems. This should keep me going until I get the 4100 fixed!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

You’ll get by ... lol!

mrz80 likes this.
  19. mrz80

Yeah... I'll get by with a sore back! It was no fun schlepping 65lb of amplifier down to the bottom shelf of that cabinet! :D

20. MCD275

MCD275 Active Member

Wonderful Gear. Compliments!:bowdown:

Please allow me some questions:
    How do you operate the turntable? Do you have space enough to change the LP?
    You are sure the MC275 will not get to hot if switched on? I know how much heat my MC275 release during operation and I would be a little bit nervous if the amp is so tight build into the rack.:confused: