What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by CarlV, Jan 22, 2006.

1. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JonasHz

JonasHz New Member

I have owned and used both new and vintage McIntosh before, but I am no expert.

I have previously owned a new MA-7900 integrated amp, but these days I have been mostly into the vintage stuff, owning a vintage MA6200 integrated amplifier that sound amazing.

But recently I was lucky enough to come across a beautiful stereo system build in 1966. I have never seen anything like it and it looks great to me. It might not have the power of modern day standards, but the sound is there, even though I can hear it could be improved with the right service. Especially the turntable sounds very low in output and with some system noise.

The craftmanship and attention to detail that went in to building this system just blew me away and now I have to figure out a way to get it restored probably. I thought that this might be the place to share this find with likeminded. Any ideas how to proceed, proper restauration or comments regarding this set up is greatly appreciated. Look forward to hear your thoughts.

I am adding a photo of the MA6200 as well. I listen primarely to vinyl, rock, blues, pop, soul, funk etc., but with this recent addition I am enjoying listening to radio as well. Mostly classical music.

The system consists of:

McIntosh MR71 Receiver
    McIntosh MA5100 Preamp-Amplifier

with a Thorens 124MKii turntable and custom cabinet Pioneer speakers.

IMG_5432.jpg IMG_5316.jpg

Attached Files:

'cisco likes this.
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Very nice. Really, a restoration of both the MA5100 and MR71 is in order given their age. Restored, the performance would rival a lot of today's offerings.

JonasHz likes this.
  4. JonasHz

JonasHz New Member

Thank you very much. I am searching for the right person for the job. There is a lot of dust inside, so it does need a good cleaning up! Also some strange bumps and noises comes and goes once in a while.

5. mimalmo

mimalmo I like big speakers Subscriber

I have a couple pieces right now that see action from time to time.

MX113
    MC2200

6. kcline

kcline Tube Audio Collector Subscriber

in my "Tube Room" system I have a MR-78 DSCN0523.JPG

Please register to disable this ad.

7. tuffstuff1

tuffstuff1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I put my 2500's up on the shelves and farted. Hehe! IMG_1873[1].JPG

JosephH and motorstereo like this.