1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by CarlV, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Treyphan

Treyphan Member

@Gearjunky nice stuff man! Hey, only because you said speakers were your weak point, then mentioned Heresy’s. You should pick those up, google “Super Heresy”. There’s a thread you’ll find, from another forum. Sorry
    With some easy,, and relatively cost effective, mods that take the Heresy to the next level. Some of the nicest speakers I’ve heard.
    Just an idea, I bet your system sounds great as is.
    Just an idea, as the Super Heresy, or any Klipsch Heritage sound GREAT with Mac power feeding them.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Gearjunky

Gearjunky New Member

Thanks Treyphan for the Super Heresy info, definitely interesting. I’m a DIY’er and I like to perform mods so could be up my alley..

I’m also thinking about the KLF 10 from Klipsch too. Down the road I will pull the trigger on something.

3. Treyphan

Treyphan Member

@Gearjunky, no prob! Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re ever near SouthEast Michigan. You’re welcome to check em out. Always willing to show a fellow Mc/Klipsch fan.
    They sound killer, and all the “mods” are Klipsch parts. The Eminence woofer is the same as the Klipsch k-42, they’re the OE for it. And the Tweeter, which isn’t totally necessary is made for and used by Klipsch in some of the new heritage models. So it’s still a “Klipsch”, not just any old frankenspeaker. Lol
    Anyway, you’ve got A LOT of great gear. I’m sure whatever direction you go speaker wise, you’ll be pleased!

On another note, after stacking both Mc240’s with NOS Matched Quads of RCA Black Plates, NOS matched pairs of Telefunken12AX7’s, NOS Telefunken 12AU7’s and NOS RCA Black plate 12BH7’s.
    I decided to try “rolling” the V1 12AX7 spot between NOS Mullards, Amperex Bugle Boys, and the previously mentioned Tele’s.

While all 3 sounded stellar, the Tele’s are my pick. They’re just better across the whole spectrum. Not by a ton, the Mullards were 2, and the Amperex were 3rd(surprisingly)

I may try to add more Mullard and Amperex tubes in the other locations, perhaps the Tele’s effected sound. Again, I’d be tickled with any of the three. Splitting hairs here. Just some tube advice/opinion’s imho.

All I know is, newer tubes just don’t sound as good in a 240. I know I know...Macs circuit isn’t supposed to be picky with tubes, and it isn’t. I’m just saying, there was an audible difference with Sovtek output tubes, mixed with an array of cheap Eastern Block and Asian current or recent production tubes.

It’s worth the extra $ to pop for the Vintage US or Euro tubes in something as classic as a Mc240.
    In the MX-110z I have all NOS Tele’s, except the 6D10 has a NOS GE(sometimes a Raytheon, which I think is a rebranded Ge) and the 6U8’s are NOS GE. Can’t find my Tele’s...I will tho...one day. Lol
    This tube selection has brought me what I find to be the best sound for “strapped” MC240’s with an MX110Z, in MY system.

I don’t see much info out there about this configuration. I’ve searched. So I figured I’d put my opionion out there. Apparently there aren’t too many people running MC240’s in mono. Which surprises me. With as many out there as there are, and some people feeling the vintage Mc tube amps don’t have enough power. A restored strapped Mc240 will give a 100 watts a channel. 100 Mc tube watts will power ALOT of speakers. I’ve run 88db 4 ohm B&W’s to concert level without a hint of distortion or “stress” on the amps. AR3’s too. Not exactly “efficient” speakers.

Lemme tell ya, with a Set of Klispch heritage soeakers like Cornwall’s, LaScala’s or my Super Heresy’s. It’s killer, all those being above 102db.
    I’ve got a set of Bozak 302a’s I did the “Tobin” mods on. Those are about the best damn midrange on earth with Mac tubes. I actually working on a Mod to integrate some ESS HEIl AMT tweeters, which is the “weak spot” if there is one on those ole Bozaks. Rudy really made some stellar speakers. Haven’t hooked the 240’s to my Quads yet. Still need to do that, I just love those with my Carver setup.

Anyway, I’ve had a few “pops” today. So I’m getting off track and thread hi-jacking. So I’ll leave it with this.

Regarding Vintage 6L6 McIntosh tube amps. If you want a nice NOS US tube, go with the GE’s, like Steve Hoffman recommends. It’ll save you some cash, and they’re awesome. I mean, everyone should at least hear or try some RCA BlackPlates and see what they sound like on their system. I love em, most due, some say they’re over rated, or a “guitar players tube”....that gives to much “high end”.

I’m not in that camp. I think the highs are sweet and sparkly, not harsh at all. Maybe their amps need attention? Or maybe it’s system or hearing differences. Most likely. The Bass Punch is also DRASTICALLY improved in my system. Now the mids, well....I live for them. As PWK said, “we live in the midrange”. I’m not sure I’m sacrificing much, but I do notice a more pronounced midrange with my NOS GE 6L6’s in. Perhaps it’s better, or the less pronounced highs and bass are the reason. Not that they are bad with the GE, just different than the BlackPlates.
    I’ll also throw out Vintage NOS Sylvania as a choice. Kinda between a GE and an RCA. At any rate, this is all “splitting hairs”, as they all sound stellar and relay the “Big Mac sound”!

I do however prefer the Vintage Mac to the New Mac tube offerings. This the MC275 V sitting unused in my basement. I’ll break it out someday. Lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. Gearjunky

Gearjunky New Member

Western burbs of Chicago, thx for the invite and I’ll keep it mind!
    I don’t tube roll too much, I usually find what works and leave it, but that’s just me. I do get caught up in it from time to time but I try to escape so I can listen to the music play.
    The MC30’s have Tele ax7’s, rca 12bh7, rca clear top au7’s, GE 6L6gc and rca rectifyer. Teles and rca’s for the mx110z too, all NOS/ANOS
    I basically went off what S. Hoffman recommended on tubes for those units and I’m pleased with it for sure.

5. Treyphan

Treyphan Member

Well I’m Sure they sound great with those tubes. I had left the tubes as is for awhile once I found a set I liked. Lately though, well I discovered a local “Tube Guy”, who’s older and has an amazing stash of tubes. He’s been very good to me with prices, and his tubes are always good to go and tested in front of me. So I’ve gone a bit “roll crazy”. Lol I mean, he knows what he has, and I’m still paying up, so to speak, but he sure ain’t charging $499 per single Tele 12AX7, like some places on the web. My god....people pay that? It would be $1500 alone for the 3 in a 240? Lol someone must pay it though.

Steve Hoffman’s rec’s Are spot on, for McIntosh amps, and well......just about everything! What a guy to share all that knowledge free. I make sure to try and get every Hoffman mastering I can. Dude is definitely a “Golder Ear”, if there ever was one. I used his rec’s myself when I first got the amps. I’m interested in a Pair of MC30’s, and hope to own some one day.
    They’re just stellar amps! I’ve heard many.

Those GE 6L6’s are THE “midrange Magic” tube for sure. I have a couple quads, I rotate em out. The RCA BlackPlates are just what I’m feeling atm. Whatever the tubes, Vintage Mac’s bring the best out, as you know.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. Steve Grigg

Steve Grigg New Member

New to the group.
    stereo.jpg
    MR80 Digital Tuner
    C33 Pre-Amp
    MC2255 Amp
    Not Shown are a pair or XR19 Speakers

7. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Welcome Steve! All TOTL gear from its time period. Very nice set!

8. Treyphan

Treyphan Member

Been rotating the V1 spot in my Mc240s. Between Tele’s, Bugle Boy’s and Mullards. Of the 3 I’m still with the Tele’s as my go to.
    The Mullards are amazing, but it’s almost a Gravy on Butter type deal. Too much yummieness with my System. Though my SS DAC sounded better than ever with those.

My reason for posting is this....I decided wtf, and tossed a pair of RCA Cleartop AX7’s in the V1, because I had em...and well, why not??!

Thing is, they’re PERFECT! I really can’t believe it. I’m listening right now. ALL my tubes are tested and measure over NOS, so it’s not a bad tube thing, I tried multiple sets, even cracked a sealed set of Tele’s to make sure.

Wow, I’m leaving the RCA’s for awhile. Only in the V1 spot. Maybe it’s just the change, but the music seems “tighter”. Idk, I really am surprised and almost don’t wanna believe it. Due to the “lowly” price of the RCA comparatively.

Also, just rolled a set of sealed Tele 6U8A’s into the MX-110z, wow....sounds killer. The depth is much more apparent now. So I’ll have to disagree with Steve. Was gonna tag him, but forgot his username, and I’m not sure you can even tag him. Or every Yahoo, like myself, would bug him. Only because I’m not trying to argue, but I remember reading he didn’t like the 6U8 Tele’s in his MX-110z, but then realized they were bad Tubes, and I wondered what he thought of good ones in that spot? If he sees this, and still even listens to his 110. His opinions have really helped me get the sound I look for. The “Magic”, and the guy has heard some pretty good equiptment.

Tele’s are indispensable to me in that spot. I’ve tried 7 other brands 6U8’s, and none beat em. Was wondering what he is using at this time?

Anyway, also came across a set of Vintage JBL’s with 075 bullets, LE375’s, LE15a woofers in about a 6 cubic ft French provincial cab. With LX-5 x-overs. Wow. Just wow! Now I get the Vintage JBL love. The 50-60s stuff is where it’s at.
    These blow the L100’s I had away. I’ll post a Pic in a min. Not sure of the Cab, they have what looks like a “door” on the front and a cream colored corrugated “drape” covering the front that does not come off. I had to Pop the backs off.

They sure enjoy vintage Mc tubes though. That’s for sure. Well sorry for derailing the thread. Just had some changes to my Mc system and though I’d update.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    LPplayer likes this.
  9. oldsui70

oldsui70 New Member

Hello,Here is my current set up of MC2600 with JBL 4343A.:banana: Enjoy! MC2600X2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    ossidian likes this.
  10. damacman

Wow - it's been a while since you were here last. Great lookin' room! I now also run a pair of MC2600s (see my sig).

oldsui70 likes this.
  11. oldsui70

oldsui70 New Member

Hello Dear damacman, Many thanks for your remembering me and great message about my room. Yes, I was so quiet during a couple of years.
    I was just doing to upadate of my system a little by little. MC2600 is really my basic and still running quite well now.I love it so much:thumbsup:
    Cheers! for our lovely MC2600's:beerchug::music:

L-82, tuffstuff1 and damacman like this.

12. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

New acquired restored C24. Sounding very nice paired with a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amp. My one and only Mac these days.

[​IMG]

ossidian likes this.
  13. RUMBLER5467

RUMBLER5467 AK Subscriber Subscriber

My System
    C11
    Marantz 120
    NAD315BEE CD player
    NAD DAC2
    Thorens 160 Super w Jelco arm and Ortofon 2M black
    Spendor SP1 speakers
    MC2105
    20180910_212107.jpg

carpe-diem and ossidian like this.
  14. jcidave

jcidave Member

I started the McIntosh collection in the 70's when I bought 5 pieces with salesmans discount from the small audio store I worked at in Allentown Pa. Added to the collection over the decades. I do have some cooling fans on all this, so I raise the noise threshold a bit in the room. The 3 C28's each have an SCR2 to turn on the power amps. The latest addition is a 7100 amp which will run a pair of ESS AMT-3s coming from a west coast seller in a few weeks. Those will add to the rest of the ESS collection. The whole rig gives me alot of enjoyment. I play vinyl almost exclusively and only use CDs when I'm tinkering with something else in the system. Mcintosh collection 92018.JPG Mcintosh collection 92018.JPG

Attached Files:

15. damacman

That's quite a collection. Don't see many MC2002 power amps ... I've had a few over the years, but never for very long.

16. jcidave

jcidave Member

Thanks. Yes. the 2002's give me decent power with a more reasonable acquisition cost. They won't be going anywhere.

damacman likes this.

17. Andre Garcia

Andre Garcia New Member

18. jcidave

jcidave Member

Andre: trying to click on your link and its not working for me. Keep getting an AK error.

19. Andre Garcia

Andre Garcia New Member

Thank you for the heads up, fixed, let me know.
    Andre.

20. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber