what model cd for my pioneer rack?

epiguy

I recently put together an almost completed pioneer system. It consists of a SX-626 reciever, PL 15D-II turntable, CT-F 7272 cassette deck, RT-707 Reel to Reel & a SG-540 equalizer. I want to get a cd player but as much as I like the old pioneer equipment I'm really not sure about pioneers cd players. Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks,

The Pioneer PD-70 was the only CD player in silver, but it's quite old now(1984).

It is nicely built but uses a multiplexed (shared by both channels) DAC with analog "brickwall" reconstruction filters. Not a sonic world-beater, so to speak.

I recently came across a Silver faced Luxman, but it also used analog filters.

I am using a modern DV-578s Universal/DVD player from Pioneer. It comes in silver, and doesn't look too shabby alongside my vintage Pioneer stuff. Sounds great, and that's the most important thing

crooner said:
The Pioneer PD-70 was the only CD player in silver, but it's quite old now(1984).

It is nicely built but uses a multiplexed (shared by both channels) DAC with analog "brickwall" reconstruction filters. Not a sonic world-beater, so to speak.

I too own a PD-70, but finding one now a days is getting extemely difficult. They have been selling on eBay between $350 to $500 for a decent one.

Retro

Last edited:
Would you believe I bought one on the 'bay back in 02 for around $30, and there was only one bid.

I sold it a year later for $230. Not current prices, but nice anyway.

If looks are less important than performance, then look for a Pioneer Elite PD-65. Features the wood panelling, a very stable platter mechanism, glossy black finish and isn't a 20 yr old piece either. :yes:

Mike

P.S. You won't end up paying $350-$500 for very old technology

ProAc_Fan said:
If looks are less important than performance, then look for a Pioneer Elite PD-65. Features the wood panelling, a very stable platter mechanism, glossy black finish and isn't a 20 yr old piece either. :yes:

Mike

P.S. You won't end up paying $350-$500 for very old technology

George, I agree with ProAc_Fan, if you can get a PD-65/75 your ears will thank you. It's a very good sounding cd player and excellent DACS. It's my main cd player in my system. After all these years, it still sounds very good despite the newer cd players in the market. :)

Nothing wrong with the 563A and it plays nearly any disc.

grumpy said:
Nothing wrong with the 563A and it plays nearly any disc.

The 563a is an excellent machine.

The 578a has an unfair bad rep because it supposedly converts DSD to PCM when playing SACDs. However, I always let my ears be the final judge on sound quality and this player delivers. The sound is smooth yet detailed and
non fatiguing. "Redbook" CD performance is top notch also.

The only caveat is a slight click that can sometimes be heard at the beginning of a track in SACD mode. The drive motor's swirl can be distracting at times.

Last edited:
If you are looking to keep a silver face on the CD player, Pioneer did have a unit, in addition to the P-D70, that had a silver face: The PD-5050, made around 1989.

I have a PD-S703 with a silver face.

It's from 1994 and has the Stable Platter Mechanism and Legato Link Filtering. Pretty decent sounding but the Legato does some weird phasing to the HF. They can be had for pocket money and are excellent value IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom