What model fisher is this??

Wow, acoustic suspension to eliminate boominess and a multicellular horn, should sound SWEET! Was the back panel missing? If I were you I'd try to make one out of plywood or something and line it with insulation inside.

Wow, acoustic suspension to eliminate boominess and a multicellular horn, should sound SWEET! Was the back panel missing? If I were you I'd try to make one out of plywood or something and line it with insulation inside.

Nope I have it, the screws were sorta out when I went to go see it, I was afraid the speaker was MIA, I pulled the back the rest of the way off to make sure the speaker was still in there. I will put it back on and it appears the insulation is missing, so I will dig up some to replace the missing. I will start a capicator list and get her up and singing again.

If you figure out what eye tube you need and don't have one, drop me a PM. I might be able to help.

If you figure out what eye tube you need and don't have one, drop me a PM. I might be able to help.

Thanks, I've been lucky and have picked up some in all the boxes of tubes I bought. I just found one in the lot I picked up Friday, 6E5. I am not sure how bright it is but it will work for now. Once I get some things listed on CL and ebay I will start the clean and bake on the variac.

Here is the speaker, looks very similar to my altec 603B.

14tblso.jpg

I've never seen one exactly like that. The horn has a Stephens vibe to it but the basket & cover looks completely Jensen. It's neat regardless.

Great console! Reminds me of the one in Sutter Island seen playing Mahler. Still would like to know what was used in movie :scratch2:

I've never seen one exactly like that. The horn has a Stephens vibe to it but the basket & cover looks completely Jensen. It's neat regardless.

I was thinking the same thing. Its like Mr Fisher modified a jensen H530 into his own speaker design, the basket and back look identical to a H530 but the horn and cone is different. I think its neat, can't wait to hear it.

Great console! Reminds me of the one in Sutter Island seen playing Mahler. Still would like to know what was used in movie :scratch2:

Going to have to get a freeze frame of the console, then we can get an idea of what it may be. I will download the illegal version soon :D

The Coronet/Allegro information below is from the 1955 Fisher catalog AK member Duffinator scanned and sent to me. I was lucky to find these since I had not labeled the files with both chassis and cabinet names - just "1955 Coronet" but I knew I had seen a high-res image of one of these Allegros somewhere.

There really ought to be a few of these still kicking around since they were produced for quite a number of years - plus they're not huge or unattractive. (Darn it, now I want one.) They were fairly expensive, though - in 1951 Fisher upped the price from $595 to $745. Plug those numbers into an inflation calculator for a shock. Jason, is there a serial number on the R-2 that might give a clue as to their production up to the time that yours was produced?

FisherCoronetAllegro1955.jpg

FisherCoronetChassis.jpg

FisherCoronetSpeakerB.jpg

FisherCoronetSpeakerA.jpg

That is just amazing, I still don't think I am worthy of having such a rare piece ...
Jason:

Well, if you still feel that way after a while, just let me know as I have a few room-mates for her! ;)

What a wonderful find and even more wonderful that you will be bringing her back to glory. That is truly an heirloom piece to be cherished.

Dave

The Coronet/Allegro information below is from the 1955 Fisher catalog AK member Duffinator scanned and sent to me. I was lucky to find these since I had not labeled the files with both chassis and cabinet names - just "1955 Coronet" but I knew I had seen a high-res image of one of these Allegros somewhere.

There really ought to be a few of these still kicking around since they were produced for quite a number of years - plus they're not huge or unattractive. (Darn it, now I want one.) They were fairly expensive, though - in 1951 Fisher upped the price from $595 to $745. Plug those numbers into an inflation calculator for a shock. Jason, is there a serial number on the R-2 that might give a clue as to their production up to the time that yours was produced?

Thanks for those high res scans, I will print them out and place them with the console. They are neat to have, the speaker still has me baffled. The top one is clearly a tru sonic and the bottom appears to be the jensen I have but with out the horn. I still think that the speaker is a cross between a stephens and jensen.

Thats strange that they were produced for so many years but there isn't one on the net, seeing how poplar fisher is, you think one would have surfaced Now watch there will be like a 100 of them on ebay this month lol

I will get the serial number when I go home, out getting sun right now.

There really ought to be a few of these still kicking around since they were produced for quite a number of years - plus they're not huge or unattractive. (Darn it, now I want one.)

Me too!

They were fairly expensive, though - in 1951 Fisher upped the price from $595 to $745. Plug those numbers into an inflation calculator for a shock.

Yeowch!!!

Well only a fisher can come back to life after 60years with no hum at all. Its been on a variac for about 5hrs and on comes the John Lennon's image and no hum at all. Of course I don't trust the old caps but least with no hum I have a little time to play with it.

23s8jr.jpg

Well I lied, I had sound then I put the speaker back in the cabinet with new dampening material, plug the receiver in and the lights are on but no ones home. I checked the speaker and all is fine with that. Guess I need to dig up a schematic and get all the capacitors replaced.

Did you knock???

Damn. I hate when it does that, just to taunt you. If I had the Gas money, I'd come get it off your hands. It's only 2350 miles from Baltimore to Vallejo. Driven it more times than I care to remember.

Larry

You can't just hit something that old with John Lennon's Imagine and expect it to be able to handle it right off the bat. You've got to bring it up slowly. Start in the early 50s with something easy like Perry Como, next try some Les Paul & Mary Ford. If it seems OK then hit it with some Chuck Berry. Listen carefully for distortion - if you start to hear some then it's OK to move on through Elvis and then, and only then: try an early Beatles album like Rubber Soul. (You may want to use a bit more modern turntable here.) If it still seems able to keep up and it's not getting too hot, you could try some Hendrix as a final test. At this point it should be able to handle John Lennon's solo stuff easily.

You can't just hit something that old with John Lennon's Imagine and expect it to be able to handle it right off the bat. You've got to bring it up slowly. Start in the early 50s with something easy like Perry Como, next try some Les Paul & Mary Ford. If it seems OK then hit it with some Chuck Berry. Listen carefully for distortion - if you start to hear some then it's OK to move on through Elvis and then, and only then: try an early Beatles album like Rubber Soul. (You may want to use a bit more modern turntable here.) If it still seems able to keep up and it's not getting too hot, you could try some Hendrix as a final test. At this point it should be able to handle John Lennon's solo stuff easily.

Yep thats what happened, the song was to sad for it to keep on living. :D Its a bummer I was hoping to get a few hours of listening time in before I had to dig in there. There are sooo many caps under the chassis, black beauties, tubular, square..sooo many....well at least it lights up pretty :D

Back
Top Bottom