What model JBL speaker are these?

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I notice the woofer has been replaced, but I'm not familiar with this JBL 3 way, anyone know the model number?

JBL L-199.jpg

Looks like a fairly rare woofer to locate, guess I will pass on checking these out.
I don't know the context of where these are, but it's always worth asking if they still have the old woofers, or in all honesty I would buy and part out for the right price.

If you're going to buy and part out, the replacement (JL Audio) woofers probably have some value as well.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! wha a pitty!!!:whip:

They can be restored though. Here is one of that same pair, thanks to AK. A little loving care, and some money for new woofers goes a long way. Just make sure to pay little enough for the pair to justify buying woofers, or you may as well just buy a nice pair of complete speakers.
IMG_20170323_114812_382.jpg

Reminds me of something...

Suddenly, the thought of lunch is no longer appetizing...

They can be restored though. Here is one of that same pair, thanks to AK. A little loving care, and some money for new woofers goes a long way. Just make sure to pay little enough for the pair to justify buying woofers, or you may as well just buy a nice pair of complete speakers.
index.php

Looks like lunch is back on!

I picked up a clean pair that had Ratshack woofers installed. Mine had the transformer in the woofer circuit so I purchased a nice refoamed pair of 128H-1 woofers for $250 shipped. Sold the Ratshack woofers and recouped a little bit. Nice speakers.

128 woofers are fairly common and I believe listed by JBL as the approved replacement in the L166. They'l also sound better.

The 066 diaphragms are unobtanium afaik so I would buy them just for the tweets and mids if they're working.

If I spotted those, it would be hard to pass them up unless the asking price is rediculous. I'd save for correct woofers.

This guy has some other stuff also, a Nakamichi cassette deck he says cost over 2 grand, and some very nice Sony separates that look to be early 70's with wood cabinets. I'm planning a trip down to check everything out, he says he is looking for the original woofers, he's not sure if he kept them.

Back
Top Bottom