What movie has been worth the Imax format?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
There are a few movies that have gone with way of having been selected for the Imax format.

My fav has been "Gravity"! I was spell bound by this production in this format. Any other I don't think would have produced the same effect for me.

Is there another production that is you took in that warrented both the time and money to have been put into this mode of projection?

Q

Avatar. Saw the 2D, Imax, Imax? 3D back in the day. The 2D had the best color.
the IMAX had the best involvement. The 3D imax gave me such a headache
I and most of my film buddies swore off 3D.

Avatar. Saw the 2D, Imax, Imax? 3D back in the day. The 2D had the best color.
the IMAX had the best involvement. The 3D imax gave me such a headache
I and most of my film buddies swore off 3D.

I hear ya on that "3D thingy!

Q

I've only seen two Imax movies.

The first one was probably Gravity, a promotional/introduction to the Imax experience. It was just roller coaster rides, and a Jet Ranger helicopter zooming down the Snake River canyon. It was cool, but it had no plot at all.

The second one was Disney's Fantasia remastered to supposedly fit the Imax format. It sucked, I never went to see another one.

Come to think of it, there was one more that I liked that dealt with a "Stone's" concert years back, when they were a lot more...active/younger.

There must have been about 5 or 6 cameras set up wherein you could see/hear the playing from several points of view. I felt at times, it was almost intrusive for this camera set up, and I can only wonder how it effected the band as they played with these electric contraptions moving in out, from behind and from on top. Irritating comes to mind.

Took the daughter with me when she was only a preteen, and she really like this visual experience and became a listener of future music by this Brit group.

All in all, this was quite the unique Imax event for me.

Q

Last edited:
I saw "To Fly" years ago at the Smithsonian A&S in downtown DC many years ago
(starts off with a hot-air balloon taking off on a center screen then we see what they see as the screen image goes full size) ...
Saw another Smithsonian film "Fliers" with biplanes and stunt flyers eventually over and "in" the Grand Canyon - that was dizzying and amazing.
We have seen "Helicopters - Straight Up" there as well.

I saw Batman: The Dark Night at Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy museum near Dulles Airport -
it had select scenes in full imax that were fun ... (batman flying by cape around Tokyo)

They did an IMax movie during the heyday of Indy cars. I remember Michael Andretti running the track with a box clamped to his roll cage between sessions.
I hear the result was pretty phenomonal but I have yet to see the movie.
Its on my "to do" list.

Tried to estimate just how many movies were put into this IMAX format. Does any one out there have a number? Looks like over 200 near as I can guesstimate?

Q

Back
Top Bottom