What music did you discover and enjoy this year ?

Not sure, but I don't think the Kora falls under Afro pop falls under this catagory (I wouldn't assume, but I did).

You're correct. Kora based music is more akin to folk than pop. Even so, modern Kora bands are not totally traditional as they have added guitars and electric bass. I'm also quite fond of Amadou & Mariam along with Fela and King Sonny Ade.

Nancy Wilson and since I discovered her, I discovered Cannoball Adderly by himself. I had heard him with Miles Davis of course but I like him better in his own groups.

If you haven't heard it give Mercy, Mercy, Mercy a listen. It's live and all Cannonball.

I,ve found several new bands that I have been enjoying...Kikagaku Moyo which translates in English to "geometric patterns." A psychedelic type of sound. They have been touring NA this year and I was able to see a show at a small venue. :thumbsup:

My first big find this year was Quidam, whose Guitarist replaced Piotr Grudzinski from Riverside after he died last year.

A few months ago I attended a Demo of Lampitzor gear and Pure Audio Project Speakers and one of the tracks played was Heather, performed by Jessica Williams. I am hoping Santa is bringing me some of her music. The track Heather from Live at Yoshis sounded so real and in the room it was scary.

For this year these are my top three. Although I have bought probably close to 500 Albums (CD/Vinyl) These are my three faves for the year.
IMG_3988.JPG IMG_3976.JPG IMG_3977.JPG

Not something I recently discovered, but always enjoy Ernest Ranglin. The Jamaican guitarist who was a guitar teacher of Bob Marley's. Still out there playing

I don't know if it's a ''genre'' per se,or even if I discovered it this year (hey,I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days) but I have really taken a liking to the Hammered Dulcimer.These sisters a among my favorite players:

51cVNwBVigL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Great thread!
Many of these I've heard, many not and look forward to more exploring.

A few new to me this year.
Melody Gardot
Brenda Boykin-Chocolate & Chili album
Club Des Belugas
Post Modern Jukebox
Prince- a whole lot of live concerts through his career
Justin Timberlake-The 20/20 Experience
Beady Bell
A lot of 70's-early 80's Funk
Holly Cook
Lots of singles, way too many to list.
From all the previous posts, I have some exploring to do!

Back
Top Bottom