What musical instruments do you have in the house?

Well, let's see. We have a pretty good array of stuff at my house:

Acoustic guitars:
1992 Taylor 510
1992 Guild JF55
199? Larrivee D03-12
recent Blueridge BR-40AS
1980 Yamaha SJ-180 (my first guitar, now the "office guitar")
2002 Cordoba classical
OSP maple jumbo J-200 copy "garage guitar" - don't ask

Electric guitars:
2006 Fender Nashville Telecaster (made in Mexico)
recent PRS SE Custom (made in Korea)

Other miscellaneous stuff:
1970's Iida banjo (plays OK, piece of crap aluminum tone ring)
Oscar Schmidt autoharp (for those Mother Maybelle Carter impersonations)
Casio keyboard of some sort
my daughter's school band flute
my other daughter's school band bells & snare kit
various amps, pickups, mics, recording gizmos, and other accessories

Thinking about:
ukulele ('cause they're all the rage for some reason)
acoustic-electric classical guitar ('cause I really want to be like Chet Atkins and/or Jerry Reed)
electric bass (need one for recording)

Hi Pickoid,

Nice list! I worked with a band recently and the guitar player was breaking in a Blue Ridge. Very impressive tone.

I recently added a uke to the stable and it's been a blast. My wife has never played anything and within an hour I had taught her to play the riff from Kashmir and I'm a Believer. Plus they're cheap and portable.

The Blueridge is an absolutely amazing guitar. I bought it used, and I have $300 in it (including the case)! It's as light as a feather, it plays great, and it sounds really, really good. It is very loud and has a pronounced midrange "twang" that I seem to love in acoustic guitars (though not everyone does). All this despite the fact that it has plywood back and sides. But it does have an Adirondack spruce top, which is a high $$$ upgrade on things like Martin, Collings, Taylor, etc.

It is the perfect beater guitar. It has a durable poly finish (wouldn't be a good thing on a "real" guitar) and it's cheap enough that I don't have to worry about it too much. I put a Fishman Rare Earth humbucker soundhole pickup in it (permanent install with endpin), and it sounds great plugged into my Fishman Aura DI box. I can't say enough good things about it.

I wouldn't spend "real" money on a Blueridge, though. You can spend way over a grand on one, and for that money, I'd be looking for a used USA made guitar. I view mine as sort of disposable.

African Drums and Indian Tablas (drums).

Just for decoration . . . oh and yes, a vintage harmonica in the box.

Cheers

Unless I stumble upon a circa '77 brown (yes, brown) Telecaster Deluxe that's stupidly cheaply priced, there will be no more guitar collecting for me.

Moreover, they make other things happy.

I know three different guys with BROWN fenders of that vintage, one has a P Bass, one has a Strat and one has the Tele Deluxe like you want. I have always thought it was a most distinctive color.

African Drums and Indian Tablas (drums).

Just for decoration . . . oh and yes, a vintage harmonica in the box.

Cheers

I also have african drums and tablas. Currently learning tablas right now. Definitely the most difficult percussion instrument to learn. Other instruments include:
Korg Keyboard
Pearl Drumset
Fender Guitar
Didgeridoo
berimbau

1984 PRS Custom 24 birds
1963 Fender Mustang
Yamaha semi hollow electric
1970 Epiphone Acoustic
1972 Fender Tele Custom walnut
1975 Fender Standard Strat H/S/S
80's Fender Jazz bass

Mesa Boogie Mark III with a Marshall 4 X 12 cab/70 watt Celestions
Boogie Recto Solo with mods and 4 X 12 cab
Early 70's Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb
Mid 70's Fender Champ
Sunn Sceptre head
Vox Brian May Special

I build guitar FX so I have way, way to many to list. If anybody is interested in building your own FX or amps, these are the best DIY sites I've found on the net.
FX http://www.DIYStompboxes.com
Amps http://www.AX84.com

1984 PRS Custom 24 birds
1963 Fender Mustang
Yamaha semi hollow electric
1970 Epiphone Acoustic
1972 Fender Tele Custom walnut
1975 Fender Standard Strat H/S/S
80's Fender Jazz bass

Mesa Boogie Mark III with a Marshall 4 X 12 cab/70 watt Celestions
Boogie Recto Solo with mods and 4 X 12 cab
Early 70's Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb
Mid 70's Fender Champ
Sunn Sceptre head
Vox Brian May Special

I build guitar FX so I have way, way to many to list. If anybody is interested in building your own FX or amps, these are the best DIY sites I've found on the net.
FX http://www.DIYStompboxes.com
Amps http://www.AX84.com

Nice stable o' stuff...:thmbsp:

Welcome!

je

I just scored a nice Guild D-25 acoustic guitar at a garage sale. 1980 manufacture, in very good condition with original hard shell case. $75. And I thought the days of scoring deals on guitars at garage sales were over years ago. I haven't owned an acoustic guitar in years, I'm glad to have this though I'm a small person and a dreadnaught such as this isn't really the right size for me. I think I'll play it for a while and if I become serious about playing an acoustic again I'll flip it and buy a smaller guitar. I left my camera at work, so pics will have to wait 'till after the weekend.

I just scored a nice Guild D-25 acoustic guitar at a garage sale. 1980 manufacture, in very good condition with original hard shell case. $75. And I thought the days of scoring deals on guitars at garage sales were over years ago. I haven't owned an acoustic guitar in years, I'm glad to have this though I'm a small person and a dreadnaught such as this isn't really the right size for me. I think I'll play it for a while and if I become serious about playing an acoustic again I'll flip it and buy a smaller guitar. I left my camera at work, so pics will have to wait 'till after the weekend.

Nice work Jon, I often wonder if I should be doing more acoustic guitar playing......
The thought has crossed my mind recently...............

Very nice grab, I like them a lot.

je (D4M, here)

Playing an acoustic instrument is a more organic experience{profound!}.....actually seems to make me enjoy singing again.More music/less noodling for me!

The Guild D 25 was the first guitar I purchased in 1971 and I still have it. Don't play it much since I switched to the classical and mostly play nylon. If I sold it I would ask way more then $75.00. You scored a classic at a excellent price. :thmbsp:

Old Guild acoustics are fantastic. I've never been one for their electrics, but as for their acoustics, Guild has always been among my favorite manufacturers and I think they tend to be quite underated. For $75, you found a great piece.

Thanks guys, it's a very nice guitar and the price was exceptional. I also have a '60s Guild Jetstar, which is a single pickup guitar shaped like an SG on acid. Here's a pic from the web, mine is not perfect but a little nice than this one. Great guitar, but limited in what it can do. I think Guild's are really under-appreciated.

Attachments

• Guild S-50 Jetstar 1964 AUT_4601.jpg
    Guild S-50 Jetstar 1964 AUT_4601.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 12
Guild D25

Here's the Guild I picked up on Saturday. I've cleaned it up (it was really only a little dusty), changed the strings, and bought some finger picks. I've always loved the sound of finger picks, but could never get a feel for them. I thought that since it's been so long since I've played and acoustic guitar (and I rarely fingerpick the electric) I'd give them another shot. It's coming to me a lot easier this time around. I'm already thinking of a few songs I might like to learn well enough to actually sing and play solo in public. (I've never sung in public, I'm just terribly self-concious about it.) Pics:

Guild1.jpg

GuildBack.jpg

GuildTop.jpg

In the last picture you can see what might be a crack in the top from the bridge to the binding, right along the seam in the top. I think it's only in the finish, and it looks stable... there's no distortion in the top anywhere. I'll probably bring the guitar in for a good setup and have it checked at that time. Otherwise, there are only a handful of scratches and dings in the guitar. Just enough for it to not be "mint" while still being really clean. I prefer a guitar to have a few scars, otherwise I am way too concerned about keeping it dead-mint. I'd much rather not lose sleep if I put a scratch into it someday.

The guitar sounds very nice, and plays OK. The action could stand to be just a bit lower, but it isn't high enough to be a problem.

I've been on a quest for a workhorse Stratocaster or similar guitar for a while. I've recently bought a couple of G&Ls because the build quality is exceptional and I like the connection to Leo Fender and George Fullerton (the L and G of G&L respectively... if that made any sense at all!) The two G&Ls (a Legacy and an S-500) just didn't nail the sound I'm after though, so yesterday I bought a '96 American Standard Fender Stratocaster. Except for auditioning it through some modeling software on the seller's computer I haven't played it plugged in yet. The guitar is very clear, loud, and resonant not plugged in though, and that's always a good sign. It doesn't stay in tune, but it was strung very sloppily so hopefully that's the whole problem. Pics later.

Oh, and the seller, a young guy... mid 20s I guess... had a nice Marantz 2270 on his desk. :thmbsp: No rekkids anywhere though.

I've been on a quest for a workhorse Stratocaster or similar guitar for a while. I've recently bought a couple of G&Ls because the build quality is exceptional and I like the connection to Leo Fender and George Fullerton (the L and G of G&L respectively... if that made any sense at all!) The two G&Ls (a Legacy and an S-500) just didn't nail the sound I'm after though, so yesterday I bought a '96 American Standard Fender Stratocaster. Except for auditioning it through some modeling software on the seller's computer I haven't played it plugged in yet. The guitar is very clear, loud, and resonant not plugged in though, and that's always a good sign. It doesn't stay in tune, but it was strung very sloppily so hopefully that's the whole problem. Pics later.

Oh, and the seller, a young guy... mid 20s I guess... had a nice Marantz 2270 on his desk. :thmbsp: No rekkids anywhere though.

I fitted a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity hum-buckers to my Les Paul standard, and I tell you what, I am speechless as to the improvement, its leaps and bounds beyond all expectations, and they just sound so good, they have this beautiful "bite" to them when you dig in and then they can be as smooth as butter depending on how you are attacking.........

My point is, do a but of research on them, because they do them for Strat's and Tele's as well, they could be the sound you are after, they are old school hand wound by Seymour himself, old school sound.......beautiful.....give the a try you wont be dissapointed.......

Im about to grab a set for my Telecaster...(the Fender not the G&L)...

Update on that '96 Strat... Played it with my band Friday night through my main rig ('61 Fender Reverb -> '61 Fender brown Vibrolux paralleled with a '68 Fender Super Reverb). It's a great guitar. "Coulda knocked me over with a feather." I was expecting it be so-so, but I had re-strung it, done a quick and dirty truss rod, action, and intonation adjustment, guessed at a decent pickup height, and... wow. Played great, stayed in tune, and most importantly sounded FANTASTIC. A little different than my vintage Strat, but entirely pleasing in its own way. Here's a picture of the entire Strat-like family right now... two are going to be offered for adoption shortly.

The new Strat is second from the right.

attachment.php

Attachments

• StratTypes.jpg
    StratTypes.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom