What musical instruments do you have in the house?

@Ross6860
Wow, nice collection Ross.
I gave my F-35 to my daughter and she loves it. I replaced it with a Yamaha FS700S, which is a little smaller. It's a great couch guitar. Has a very full sound, and I swapped the machine heads for some locking ones and I swear it made it sound even better.

Btw, how is the Mexican Tele. About 10 years back I bought a Korean PRS Santana SE instead of the Mex Tele. I'm just re-setting up the bridge, and I thot, hmmm, maybe I shoulda got the Tele.

Dave

@Ross6860
Wow, nice collection Ross.
I gave my F-35 to my daughter and she loves it. I replaced it with a Yamaha FS700S, which is a little smaller. It's a great couch guitar. Has a very full sound, and I swapped the machine heads for some locking ones and I swear it made it sound even better.

Btw, how is the Mexican Tele. About 10 years back I bought a Korean PRS Santana SE instead of the Mex Tele. I'm just re-setting up the bridge, and I thot, hmmm, maybe I shoulda got the Tele.

Dave

Well, the Tele is always on a stand and never in a case, so that should say something. It plays like butter and sounds great. I hand-rolled the fretboard edges and got rid of the hideous stark-white maple board. I added some Fender American tuners and Fender Custom Shop pickups, CTS pots, and upgraded the tone cap. It worked fine as it was from the factory, but it's even better now.

The photo is pretty bad since the body is Pacific Blue, but looks like navy or black in the photo.

I've had Chinese, Korean, and Indonesian guitars from Squier, Hamer, Gretsch, Epiphone, Kramer, and Agile. None of them are what I would classify as junk. They were all very nice playing instruments. Some could use better pickups, pots, or tuners, but the bones were all good.

It's amazing that you can get a great playing guitar for $200.

My Taylor was not made in the US, and obviously the Yamaha bass is made overseas.
IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0244.JPG

@Ross6860
Nice job on the Tele fretboard, Ross. Looks great now. Y'know, thinking back, the stark white fretboard was probably what steered me away from it.
Glad to hear it plays so well. The components that make up the PRS SE series guitars are quite good, so I'm sure when I finish the bridge and neck setup, it will play very nicely.
And yeah, the Chinese make some pretty good instruments these days. Love the prices.
Happy pickin'.

Dave

I've got a Taylor 314-CE acoustic guitar, an Ibanez RG-750, and epiphone bass, not sure of the model and a bach trombone I use to play in high school. I should take that out again and see if I can still play, I used to have a saxophone, but couldn't play it that well.

I took this from the axes thread: The ibanez on the right is gone and the yamaha replaced with a taylor

Attachments

• geets.jpg
    geets.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
I've got a Taylor 314-CE acoustic guitar, an Ibanez RG-750, and epiphone bass, not sure of the model and a bach trombone I use to play in high school. I should take that out again and see if I can still play, I used to have a saxophone, but couldn't play it that well.

I briefly, very briefly, toyed with the idea of taking up the saxophone. After a little research, that looks like it's beyond my skill set. I'll have to stick with being a hack guitar player.

Now a violin, there's something I can look into. I can make man and beast alike run for the hills.

1960s Knabe baby grand and Bulgheroni Oboe for my older son, Yamaha Saxophone for my younger son, and a crappy Washburn acoustic guitar for me...

Clarinet, Alto Sax, Guitar (Yamaha G-235 from my mother’s church band days, sounds beautiful in my opinion), Banjo....probably an oboe somewhere.

According to my son, the action of Knabe is not as good as some Steinway he played. Of course, the piano costed me $300+$300 delivery, the action hasn't been rebuilt, and those Steinway are 9-foot concert grand costing probably $150K+. But it does sound wonderful, very warm natural harmonic tone, rumbling bass and clean full high... and loud enough for the whole house, and probably the neighbors too :)

Picked up this Ibanez Silver Cadet, an Optimus MPS-45 20w amp and guitar stand yesterday for $60. Stopped by a music store on the way back to the house and got new strings for it and replaced the ones that were on it and tuned it when I got home.

I don't know anything about the quality of the guitar or the amp, but we picked them up for my 9 year old grand daughter to learn to play and hope this gear is good enough for that.

kpkgM0P.png

oKsLtdS.png

Last edited:
I got told of for buying a new guitar. Told never to do that again. the guy was in the opinion that The amount of work that needs doing to get the guitar properly setup. why pay that he argues when you go into a second hand store and play with all the guitars till you find one that fits you and you can play. all the setting up work been done

I hear ya: my first geetar was a second-hand Stratocaster (1961, Oly White, rosewood board), purchased in 1968. I've bought only "used" geeatars, (a few) basses, amps, and effects ever since.

Cox Amps Fender 5E3 clone
VOX AC15HTVH
Custom Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb Clone ("Brownface" channel one, "Blackface" channel two, reverb/tremolo on channel one and two)
1970s Fender Silver-Face Champ
1960s Silvertone
1950s Valco Supreme
Vintage 47 Oahu prototype

You are in possession of some rather desirable, from the collector & player perspectives, geetar amplification gear.

Can you describe in a bit more detail the '50s Valco (tube profile, speaker spex, effects if any) and the '47 Oahu (I am particularly keen on hearing more about this amp and, if you could do it, a photo or two of it).

- M

You are in possession of some rather desirable, from the collector & player perspectives, geetar amplification gear.

Can you describe in a bit more detail the '50s Valco (tube profile, speaker spex, effects if any) and the '47 Oahu (I am particularly keen on hearing more about this amp and, if you could do it, a photo or two of it).

- M

The Valco is a "one year only" model. It has twin Rola 6 x 9 speakers in it. Typical Valco dual 6V6 PP amp. 5Y3 rectifier, and 6SN7/6SQ7 inverter/driver pre-amp tubes. 12 watts if I remember correctly. Two knobs, volume and tone, that's it.

All the original tweed is missing except for a few very tiny pieces. Some prior owner stained the finger-jointed cab a dark brown. I sent it to Terry Dobbs (Mr. Valco) for a checkup and some rewiring when I got it. All it needed was a couple caps replaced, and a new handle;) It came with a piece of rope for a handle...

IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0766.JPG

It's an original one of these:

http://www.vintage47amps.com/1955-Twin-Speaker-Supreme/

Vintage 47 is a little amp company owned by David Barnes. He's keeping the pre-Fender octal-based amp circuits alive. All his amps are PTP wired and made here in the good old USA.

The Oahu I have is a pre-production version that has a boost switch and a tone-cap switch installed. The boost switch is now standard in his Oahu.

5 watts, Class A, 6V6, 5Y3, 6SL7 tube complement.

IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG

Here's my Champ and VOX. I typically play the Champ these days.

IMG_0763.JPG

Cox Amps Fender 5E3 clone
VOX AC15HTVH
Custom Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb Clone ("Brownface" channel one, "Blackface" channel two, reverb/tremolo on channel one and two)
1970s Fender Silver-Face Champ
1960s Silvertone
1950s Valco Supreme
Vintage 47 Oahu prototype

- M
The Valco is a "one year only" model. It has twin Rola 6 x 9 speakers in it. Typical Valco dual 6V6 PP amp. 5Y3 rectifier, and 6SN7/6SQ7 inverter/driver pre-amp tubes. 12 watts if I remember correctly. Two knobs, volume and tone, that's it.

All the original tweed is missing except for a few very tiny pieces. Some prior owner stained the finger-jointed cab a dark brown. I sent it to Terry Dobbs (Mr. Valco) for a checkup and some rewiring when I got it. All it needed was a couple caps replaced, and a new handle;) It came with a piece of rope for a handle...

View attachment 1537834 View attachment 1537835 View attachment 1537836

It's an original one of these:

http://www.vintage47amps.com/1955-Twin-Speaker-Supreme/

Vintage 47 is a little amp company owned by David Barnes. He's keeping the pre-Fender octal-based amp circuits alive. All his amps are PTP wired and made here in the good old USA.

The Oahu I have is a pre-production version that has a boost switch and a tone-cap switch installed. The boost switch is now standard in his Oahu.

5 watts, Class A, 6V6, 5Y3, 6SL7 tube complement.

View attachment 1537837 View attachment 1537838

Here's my Champ and VOX. I typically play the Champ these days.

View attachment 1537841

Beautiful gear, all of it. Thanks for posting the photos and the details re: the spex. That Oahu is a preiceless thing.

In UK the recorder was the comprehensive school musical tool. I have not heard one in years.. I rather not be reminded just how awful they sounded. My sister has several . So did a girl friend of mine . I remember her having a bass recorder .

Do they still use them . Did they make it across the pond to the USA . Must be a few around still.

Edit : insert photo

iu

Last edited:
In UK the recorder was the comprehensive school musical tool. I have not heard one in years.. I rather not be reminded just how awful they sounded. My sister has several . So did a girl friend of mine . I remember her having a bass reorder .

Do they still use them . Did they make it across the pond to the USA . Must be, a few around still.
It's not the instrument at fault really. Ever hear a beginner play a trumpet or violin?
Two beginner players equals ten times the cringe. Now multiply that by a room full and you can understand the problem here.

Back
Top Bottom