What, No Yanny vs. Laurel Thread on AK!?!

They are actually playing that on the radio this morning.

And "yanny" has it. They played it backwards, sped up, and slowed down and it was always that for me.
Both sounds are present, one on top of the other so there's really no "correct" answer.

I was testing this out this morning. I tested it backwards, slowed down, etc. as well and it all sounded like Yanny. Then, I did a hard cut-off using equalization in Audacity at 2kHz and above (much like the video), and it transformed into "Laurel". They're both there at the same time, so it just depends on the frequencies your ears are listening for. Pretty cool stuff.

I was testing this out this morning. I tested it backwards, slowed down, etc. as well and it all sounded like Yanny. Then, I did a hard cut-off using equalization in Audacity at 2kHz and above (much like the video), and it transformed into "Laurel". They're both there at the same time, so it just depends on the frequencies your ears are listening for. Pretty cool stuff.

Ok. But how did my ears listen for Yanni on TV, and Laurel on my laptop?

giphy.gif

heard all the versions both at home and on the radio
sped up slowed down never once heard yanni

Laurel, every time, even through the bass modulation link. This is from my laptop, through a Dragonfly 1.2 DAC, into my system.

I heard a facsimile of 'Yanny' when the lower frequencies are removed in E-stat's post, but it sounds distinctly like it is distorted, like through a ham or shortwave radio. It might as well be a chicken being strangled, as a human pronouncing 'Yanny'.

Hard to believe the number of Yanny's here!

When I post about excess tizz, or make fun of the term 'sparkle', or try to explain what a 'sweet top end' is, or when I am reminded of the countless times I have read the phrase "emphasizes the leading edges of transients" in some audio review, or when I make statements such as "fifty percent of everything above 5000 Hz is hash", I guess Yanny-hearing is what I am referring to.

I am stunned to read so many 'Yanny' replies. I wonder how many Yanny-hearers were listening on their phones? Would any of you change your mind after listening through earbuds, headphones, or your main system? I am really curious.

I'm going to try it through my iPhone 6...

I just heard further discussion. Seems it started with an 18 year old student in Georgia (US) recording a computer synthesis of the word L-A-U-R-E-L. Some within earshot claimed they heard Y-A-N-I. Since it was puzzling the student uploaded it.

Using headphones on my phone all I could hear was laurel. When the lower frequencies are cut I can hear Yanni though it's at significantly lower volume than laurel and seems somewhat distorted. Not modulated like a real voice though more like just an artifact in the recording

I clearly heard Laurel every time when I listened to the linked clip on my PC and never heard Yanny even with the filtering. However, when they went to the story on the 5PM news, I very clearly heard Yanny on the TV each time during the story.So, back here to listen again and still hear Laurel on my PC.

To me, it sounded like the name "Laurel" being spoken by that piano player named Yanni. Why don't they have one in which Laurel is saying Yanni?

Radio in car, Laurel, no mistake. Neither on this OP, sounds like 'Yeah-ray"
I am at a loss as why this is considered BS. It directly relates to our hobby. Do we really hear that differently, or is this a hoax of some kind? It might explain why some people like Journey.

Back
Top Bottom