What, No Yanny vs. Laurel Thread on AK!?!

Using headphones on my phone all I could hear was laurel. When the lower frequencies are cut I can hear Yanni though it's at significantly lower volume than laurel and seems somewhat distorted. Not modulated like a real voice though more like just an artifact in the recording

Emphasis is mine. This is what I hear, Laurel under all circumstances except then the lower frequencies are removed then the strangled whisper of Yanni. It makes me wonder if those of us that hear Yanni clearly are having an issue with their low frequency hearing?

Mark Gosdin

On TV a couple of hundred times, on a coworkers (Who is pretty deaf at 28) phone, on my tinny laptop, on my PC, It's LAUREL.

On the CBC here in Canada they are saying if you listen on a device with no bass response in the speaker, like a phone, you tend to hear Yianni, and if you listen on something with better bass response, you hear Laurel.

Even using my phone speaker (Google Pixel) it's just Laurel. Something must have to really strangle the sound for Yanni to be audible ..

Yah - (hope that sounds like 'yes' when read properly ....)

Just goes to show how that accurate human hearing goes ... can even hear a difference between same tubes of same brand -
OOPS, SORRY!

Perhaps if loudspeaker cables are direction-reversed, and input cables similarly reversed, the truth shall be out ......

I hear Yanni, my wife hears both at different times and my son hears Laurel. We are listening to the same source at the same time. What is crazy to me is my wife can hear yanni and laurel during the same playback.

I've been hearing it on different computers, phones, TVs and even through a phone on TV and I ALWAYS hear Yanni. Without fail. Finally here in my house when I play it back on the better system that I have on the gaming computer I hear Yanni clear as a bell with Laurel underneath the Yanni in a bass tone. But the Laurel is muted and the Yanni dominates.

It's bullshit. Two different playbacks to generate differences in opinions and further the commentary. I played the audio for several people and asked what they heard and they said "Yanni". I played a different audio for "Yanni vs Laurel" to the same folks and they heard "Laurel". I'm done...

It's like that line drawing - is it a lamp or two faces in profile facing each other? Or that animation of a ballerina pirouetting - is she spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?

I just heard further discussion. Seems it started with an 18 year old student in Georgia (US) recording a computer synthesis of the word L-A-U-R-E-L. Some within earshot claimed they heard Y-A-N-I. Since it was puzzling the student uploaded it.
This establishes the recording is sourced from Laurel input.--mileage varies on perception.

Wondering what's perceived when Yani is the input. :confused:

It's Yanny (almost yammy) to my partner on limited extension gear.

Can I have those five minutes back?

Clearly, it has little to do with people's ears and more to do with the file, the equipment, and its overall frequency response and extension. The same file is Yanny on my laptop speakers and Laurel on the PC and headphones.

Play with slider here https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

you can go up, hear the yanni and slide back down until it alternates almost. :)

Last edited:
I hear Darrell ... or is it his other brother Darrell?

PS - slow night here, so I put this together to answer the question ... it's actually both!

Last edited:
What color is my T-shirt, Laurel or Yanni?
11651290.jpg

Well on the in ear phones (using my phone) both channels were Laurel, either with both in, or one channel or the other only. Always Laurel on the ‘phones. The phone speakers were more fun. It’s an iPhone 7 Plus, it has stereo speakers. So the bottom speaker was clearly Laurel, the top speaker was clearly Yanny. And I mean every time.

Last edited:
On TV it sounded like Laurel.

On my laptop it sounded like Yanny for two plays, then Laurel again.

:dunno:

There's always google translate ... ;-}

PS - I test as an "overtone listener" which I take is a good thing. Most listeners tend to hear the fundamental pitch clearly but need to concentrate to catch the overtones ...

Last edited:
Do we really hear that differently
We really hear that differently...

...in some cases. This is an audio illusion; the sound equivalent to an optical illusion, so it's not the same as "normal" listening, but...

Yes, we really hear that differently.
It's bullshit. Two different playbacks to generate differences in opinions and further the commentary. I played the audio for several people and asked what they heard and they said "Yanni". I played a different audio for "Yanni vs Laurel" to the same folks and they heard "Laurel". I'm done...
There are likely some fakes and modified files out there by now, but I played the original on my Mac and Nikki and I listened through the Mac squeakers. I only hear Laurel. Nikki hears Yanni.

Back
Top Bottom