What, No Yanny vs. Laurel Thread on AK!?!

Still Laurel through the iPhone's speaker.

The Times' slider has different change points when moving right to left than it does moving left to right. For me, moving left to right, I start hearing "yeewy" at 7.5, when starting at 5 with a clear 'laurel'. When starting at 10, it goes from 'yelly', through 'yerry' and 'yeewy' until 5.5, where it changes back to 'laurel'. This is on the laptop speakers.

On the system, it stays 'laurel' longer when moving the slider from left to right - I can hear both between 7.5 and 8.5. The exaggerated 'laurel' at 1 through 5 has a component that sounds like one is in a culvert or tube of some sort. The far right position 10 sounds like 'yail-ee'.

At no time or position do I hear an 'n' sound.

What all that futzing back and forth with the signal to hear one or the other doesn't explain is why different people listening to the track at the same time and (because we though maybe this was a reason) moving around the room while it played, keep hearing clear as a bell one or the other.

That's the part that has me most amazed.

Well now the New York Times slider was the most fun. See the pic, where the slider is I heard both. Yanni being a little more brittle and whispy was on top, Laurel was just underneath but with more body and bass.
B1DA98EB-2501-4E0A-870E-407FFB54014E.jpeg

Still Laurel through the iPhone's speaker.

The Times' slider has different change points when moving right to left than it does moving left to right. For me, moving left to right, I start hearing "yeewy" at 7.5, when starting at 5 with a clear 'laurel'. When starting at 10, it goes from 'yelly', through 'yerry' and 'yeewy' until 5.5, where it changes back to 'laurel'. This is on the laptop speakers.

On the system, it stays 'laurel' longer when moving the slider from left to right - I can hear both between 7.5 and 8.5. The exaggerated 'laurel' at 1 through 5 has a component that sounds like one is in a culvert or tube of some sort. The far right position 10 sounds like 'yail-ee'.

At no time or position do I hear an 'n' sound.

It is not the slider, its is your brain being laggy as well as not wanting to let go of it's interpretation . (all brains are laggy)

This "not letting go" is also at work when we compare equipment sighted / pre biased. At about the same strength.

You can easily see how strong the mind is involved in sound interpretation with this here audio laurel example.

Last edited:
It's bullshit. Two different playbacks to generate differences in opinions and further the commentary. I played the audio for several people and asked what they heard and they said "Yanni". I played a different audio for "Yanni vs Laurel" to the same folks and they heard "Laurel". I'm done...

That conspiracy theory will not take off. :)
But it is very good.

I am stunned to read so many 'Yanny' replies. I wonder how many Yanny-hearers were listening on their phones? Would any of you change your mind after listening through earbuds, headphones, or your main system? I am really curious.

I'm going to try it through my iPhone 6...

I also wonder, and do think phone playback is a large part of it too.

I think percentage wise more women hear Yanni than men do.

I've heard "yanni" every time I've played it, listening through good-quality headphones.

And for the record, I heard "long blonde hair" in that Fine Young Cannibals song for years until I finally learned the actual lyrics...

And for the record, I heard "long blonde hair" in that Fine Young Cannibals song for years until I finally learned the actual lyrics...

Wait. No. No? Really? No.

Not going to google the lyrics...

Nice lead in to: "Interesting is the link with the slider: I think the strength at which the brain holds on to to either image while moving the slider at one speed left to right or vice versa, is the same amount of strength at play with sighted, pre biased reviews.

I.e. cable sound "heard" differences"

You also forgot to mention that before leaving for work for the day we also point our speakers at an open window, and crank Yanni on repeat, just to piss off the neighbourhood.

Crank away. I only hear "Laurel", so it will have no effect on me. ;)

I also wonder, and do think phone playback is a large part of it too.

I think percentage wise more women hear Yanni than men do.

Girlfriend heard Laurel, I heard Yanni, initially. After playing around with the NYT slider I can hear both depending on which I'm thinking about. Very odd.

Did anyone see what Jimmy Kimmel said about this last night?
“Whether you hear ‘Laurel’ or ‘Yanny’ there’s one thing I think we can all agree on—nothing has ever mattered less than this,” he joked. “Everybody has a different take but ultimately, it illustrates that what is real isn’t absolute. What we believe to be true depends on who we are, where we are, how we look at, other individual factors. What’s real to one person might not be real to another person.”

I only ever hear Laurel. Listened to the clip on my laptop, cheap Edifier PC speakers, my Samsung A5 phone, and on TV this morning through my Marantz amp & Pioneer speakers.

I can't even make myself hear Yanny. I'll say Yanny in my head when the soundclip plays, and all I hear is Laurel.

But, straight away, my wife who is 3 years old than me only heard Yanny. She also saw the dress as white, so she's both deaf and blind!! And old :)

Is it like a real wimpy Pee- Wee Herman "bullshit", or a deep resonant James Earl Jones "bullshit"?
I heard it when I used my Audioquest speaker cables, deep and resonant bullshit, swapped out with some Cardas cables to see if there was any difference, but wimpy bullshit spewed forth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom