1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What OLED To Get

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by KingBubba, Sep 23, 2018.

1. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I have come upon an unexpected kettle at the end of the rainbow and I want to get a new OLED TV. I am seeing LG, Sony and Samsung and I am wanting some opinions. I want to be able to feed audio to my Pioneer 1250 for audio. What I don't know about these units is what type of inputs and outputs they have. Any comments are welcome. Any preferences are welcome. Any comments on cost will be welcome too, but cost is, for once in my life, not of big concern. Thanks.

I am currently looking at a Samsung QLED 65". It does not have analog audio in. I am using a standard HD Dish Network receiver. What is the way to solve this issue of getting analog out of the TV and into the Pioneer?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

My Oled C6 has an analog AV input, through a dongle into a 1/8” jack. Never used it, but it’s 2016 model, I don’t know about newer ones. I’m surprised the dish receiver doesn’t have a digital audio out though, the digital audio jack (optical) is pretty standard on TV boxes for decades I think. Any dish box that old (pre HDMI?) won’t give you a video signal worth watching on a modern 4K TV. If it has HDMI, the audio and video are on the same connection. Check Crutchfield website for excellent sales info, pics, stats, all that stuff. They are very thorough and complete with information like specs and inputs/outputs. Most receivers built in the age of HDTV have audio sync features to delay the audio to match the video processing delay on modern TVs. Your sound would be much better going direct from dish box to receiver. There’s no chance that running analog audio into and back out of any TV is a good idea in terms of sound quality.

My understanding is that the Qled is not like Oled. Oled makes each pixel its own light source. Qled is a form or led tech that still involves a backlight system. Now, the backlight system is more targeted and has improved, but it’s not Oled. Qled is a fancy marketing term for an LCD system trying to compete with Oled by making the name look similar, but it’s still an LCD display. The Sony Oled is a panel made by LG, so...features probably biggest issue there.

I have 2 TVs that give me a good position to compare high end LCD vs Oled. Both 2016 models but point still valid. My Sony X930D 65” was flagship model LCD. 4K, HDR, looks fantastic. Blacks are good, motion very good and the colors and skin tones are very accurate. It’s not an Oled. My Oled is a C6 model 55”. Last one with 3D (both 3D TVs).

Oled makes you say “wow” for a couple of weeks at least. The contrast and shading are astounding, and black is like looking down a bottomless pit of black, light just doesn’t escape. But, the color accuracy when it’s skin tones may get weird sometimes. Not technically off, but the consistency is not quite as good as my Sony in that regard. Plus, Oled does burn. Check test on rtings.com, they can burn significantly in just a few thousand hours. If you watch cable news, video games or sports constantly, especially if you favor one channel, don’t buy Oled. However, if you’re willing to change up content, and run at midrange brightness levels, use more for movies, the Oled is really fun. What’s not fun is trying to watch TV while failing to ignore image burn.

If you like the picture on Qled and feel it compares to Oled, then it might be a better choice for many people regardless of price, and it’s cheaper, color probably easier to adjust, and may have better, more consistent long term performance.

I got my Oled as a leftover display, I bought it for the 3D which is the best system ever mass marketed. Passive, 4K, Dolby Vision HDR, it’s crazy good. Alas, nobody makes 3D now so it’s no longer a consideration in comparisons, but for me it puts the LG on top for my needs. But, I do have some screen inconsistencies due to wear on the panel. I’m working on solutions and I may (fingers crossed) have a leed on a replacement panel, but even with issues it’s a great TV for 3D. If I get new panel, I will not watch anything with a graphic for more than a few minutes at a time, I can promise that! I have seen the Oled without burn and doing 4kDolby and it’s basically as good as it gets, but it apparently has a quality lifespan and with normal use it may be noticeably degraded after 4 or 5 years if you’re not careful with it. The Sony is less wow factor, but never disappoints, still beautiful and great to watch anything on with no worries, except 3D, which really sucks on that TV.

Of course, any 4K content out there is streaming so make sure you upgrade to the best WiFi you can get, you’ll need it for Netflix and Amazon Video, etc. Shows in Dolby Vision on Netflix is the best TV picture I’ve ever seen anywhere. I watched the new Lost in Space series on the Oled with Dolby Vision and it’s really really impressive, for example. You need upgraded Netflix service to get 4K too though, basic service doesn’t include it. I’m mulling a 4K Blu-ray player any day now but I only have 1 4K disc so far so I’m not in a huge hurry. The Netflix gets it done generally.

nj pheonix and tcdriver like this.
  3. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

QLED =/= OLED. Samsung knows exactly what they're doing with that moniker. Not amused.

QLED is just an LED lit LCD tv with some quantum dot tech to improve the color saturation/contrast. It's a cool tech but at it's core it still has the limitations of an LCD tv.

At this point in time, LG is making all of the OLED panels so it basically comes down to what fits your budget and which one you like the aesthetics of the most. There's not a bad performing OLED tv on the market so as far as I'm concerned, buy the one that you like the looks of the most within your budget. Some say that the Sony has the better image processing tech, but the last I heard about that was about a year ago so it could be out of date.

Regarding analog outs, most TVs these days have either HDMI audio out or optical audio out. You'd just need a DAC to convert that signal to feed to your pioneer. There are little boxes that do the HDMI audio extraction thing and give you either analog RCA or coaxial/toslink optical digital out. The best bet would be choosing a TV that had optical or coaxial digital out natively though, the HDMI audio extraction boxes can be a bit finicky.

Cheers,
    Nathan

tcdriver likes this.
  4. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

I have an Lg Oled and it is the only tv I have had that bettered my pioneer kuro plasma , everything about it is excellent and just to make sure the picture was spot on I had it professionally calibrated. It’s about as good as it gets if you want the whole movie experience and none of the problems that the led’s etc can give you .

Audiofreak71

nedseg likes this.
  6. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

A QLED shifts colors and goes darker when viewed off axis. Like the man said only a OLED from LG or Sony can surpass our Pioneer Elite plasmas. and I am not alway convinced they do. Yes they are brighter and they have black blacks. But like Kodachrome film there is something that is just not natural. I haven't seen a screen using Dolbys new display processing, but I am looking forward to it. Any one bought a 100 inch model? That will set you back.

7. greymatter

greymatter AK Subscriber Subscriber

Check out ,cnet. Com for reviews

8. KingBubba

Comments read about QLED elsewhere lead me to understand that that technology will eliminate screen burn. Trying to learn all this technology is very rough. It was better to just pick a size and go out and buy it. I am in a fog right now.

9. Audiofreak71

Don’t worry about screen burn in with oleds unless you keep on cnn or similar on your screen 24/7 if so then you might have issues with image retention and even then the Lg oleds have a cleaning process when you turn your tv off (does it automatically) and there’s a more rigorous process that takes about an hour with cleaning your screen . I have owned my Oled for almost a year now , with everyday use and have had zero issues.

Audiofreak71

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. spicer

spicer Super Member

I have an LG 65 inch OLED, current model, and it is the best TV I've owed... replaced a 50inch Pioneer plasma which was the best I'd seen until the OLED. Has a fancy RF type remote with a microphone that allows voice searches when Internet connected... might be the most straight forward easy to use remote I've seen.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

I've seen a demo OLED display and...wow! Definitely want one! But yeah, since we use ours here primarily for video games and only an occasional movie or old TV series, burn-in would be an issue, and I'm not about to go through expensive OLED panels each time one gets a burn-in. I do like LG's product lines, though, and will be getting one of their other sets hopefully once Black Friday rolls around and the good deals start pouring in.

This was embarrassing:

https://hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/119942-lg-oled-tv-burn-in-woes-evident-trade-show/

I have a feeling that in a few years, they will have found a way to deal with burn-in so it is reduced or eliminated. OLED is a relatively new technology. Give it time. :)

12. Audiofreak71

Don’t let the burn in trolls scare you, there really isn’t a widespread issue with these TVs am burn in , it takes an extreme measure for them to get burn in and the lg’s have a screen cleaner that happen every time you turn the TV off as well as a more in depth cleaning you can do . I have had my lg Oled for almost a year now and have done everything from gaming to movies with zero burn in .

Audiofreak71

13. Wildcat

Here's a recent article regarding the burn-in (keep in mind it is ZDNet):
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/is-oled-slowly-burning-down/

This from AVS:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...neral/2927390-2017-lg-oled-burn-pictures.html

This is one to keep an eye on as they are running a test with real-world content and run times to see if burn-in is really an issue:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

I won't be getting an OLED this time. If they can solve burn-in (which I believe they probably will, in the next few years) then I can upgrade. Also, with increased production, prices will drop. For now, though, there are too many issues with burn-in coming up online that have me thinking I will just go with one of the better 4K sets for now. (The way my luck goes, I would be one of those who purchased a set that had the issue.)

14. Audiofreak71

No offense but your basing your opinion off of companies who are running very stringent tests on those TVs, I have seen them all and am a big fan of rtings. Best to get your info from real people who own the Oled TVs (and not the trolls ) . Like I have said I have owned mine for almost a year now and it has gone under all the torture tests with zero issues . I will tell you this , I have gone through 8 different non oled TVs and all of them suffered from the dreaded DSE (dirty screen effect) uneven blacks (gray) etc and they were high end models from Samsung Sony and LG . My Lg oled is the only one that has matched and exceed my Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma in blacks so that’s saying a lot .

Audiofreak71

15. AudioWizard

AudioWizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

LG makes the panel for Sony/OLED, the electronics/features are the different. Of course it has the Sony tariff on it. I went with the LG, great picture.

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  16. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

well its like the days of plasmas. Someone else made the screens for most everyone else. But Pioneer was definitely the best, why because of the engineering and the electronics. You can have the best screen in the world and with out the electronics to back it up its a no go. So I would probably go with my old friend Sony. My first color TV was a 13 inch Sony Trinitron. I wanted the 43 " Sony tube monitor, but settled for a 36" Mitsubishi, it was the worst entertainment dollar I ever spent, I was never happy with the picture. So I watched my 19 " Sony tube set in the bedroom. Till the Pioneer Plasma came along. I now have a LG set in the master bed room and it like watching pictures taken with Kodachrome film. There just something un-natural about the LG display! Where's the grain in the film, everything is to glossy, true the blacks are beautiful, and the whites very bright and clean, but there is some thing wrong. Its as if the picture had been totally Photoshoped and thats not natural or faithful. I'll stick with my Plasma Ellite as long as she works.

17. Audiofreak71

After the Lg Oleds are calibrated they are spot on in there natural color and are exactly like my pioneer kuro and exceed it in blacks and that’s saying a lot .

Audiofreak71

Bill Ferris and tcdriver like this.
  18. Wildcat

I looked at the standard 4K UHD sets by LG this past Tuesday, and I think they will be plenty good enough for my needs. My big question here is 55" or 65"? :D I'll wait on OLED only due to the price--the more they make of these, the less expensive they will get. And by then, I may have room for a proper home theater setup again where I could get good use out of an OLED.

I did just get an LG monitor for my computer, though (37" 21:9 "ultrawide"). I'm also getting a new dongle thingy to calibrate the monitor with, as I'll be editing images for printing. I wish there was a way to use this with the TVs, but there isn't--these calibrators create a color profile that the computer's graphic card loads in order to keep the colors accurate. There is no way for a TV to load that color profile (unless it is attached as a monitor to a computer), but wouldn't that be a great thing to have? I can do manual calibrations by eye, but it is all subjective. You essentially hang this over the top of your monitor and set it near the screen, and then you give the software time to work its magic. I think many of us would pay $100 extra to get such a device that worked with our specific model of TV, which would automatically calibrate it for us.

19. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone concerned about burn-in with OLED, unless you watch Fox or CNN or some other network that never moves their stupid logo day in day out, it will be a non-issue.

Even with video game HUDs I've seen zero burn in. Occasionally image retention, but running the clear routine (annoying flashing for a while) gets rid of that every time, and it's a rarity. Burn in isn't nearly as bad with OLED as it was at times with plasma from what I've seen, and many articles about OLED burn in blow the issue /way/ out of proportion.

After having a "junky" Samsung 6300 series edge lit 4K TV, moving up to a better thought of TCL 6-series with dynamic direct lit backlighting and Dolby Vision support, then the LG OLED, I will likely never buy another LCD based display. LCDs in other electronics, sure, but a dedicated display -- TV or monitor? Nothing but OLED until something better comes along. It truly is a night and day difference, particularly with well mastered HDR content.

@Wildcat -- the 55" LG OLEDs regularly go on sale around $1600, the 65" around $2200. At one point Woot was selling the 2017 model 55" open box with full warranty for $1200. There are deals to be had. Now, if you're not looking to spend that much I totally understand, and in that case TCL's 6 series should probably be at the top of your list.

@KingBubba -- You need a DAC to connect to the TV's optical output (or RCA based SPDIF, depending on model), then run RCAs to the Pioneer's AUX in. Some TVs may have an internal DAC and have RCA audio out, or a mini-jack for headphones, but the built in DAC will likely be of poor quality and affect the sound anyway, so plan on getting a stand-alone DAC. It doesn't have to be super expensive, something like a Topping D30 would be plenty, around $100, or if that's still more than you want to spend even something like the FiiO D3 for $20 would work.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Audiofreak71 likes this.
  20. KingBubba

Thanks for that thought. They are saying the Samsung QLEDs will be going on sale for Black Monday, which of course has already started. :confused: