What or who would you like to see at AK Fest ?

hey-Hey!!!,
How about the Bluesman, Ben Andrews. I can't see him as being too 'spensive. He's from PA, used to play in State College.
cheers,
Douglas

How about an onsite tonearm rewire service/seminar? Don't need this myself - I do my own. But I'm always curious about new tricks. Be happy to donate cartridge clips to the cause.
- Mario

I wish I could go, but there's no way I can.

One day though, I would love to arrange a session like this, or see someone else do same:

Find a good live performer, preferably on an unamplified acoustic instrument, and set up a very fine audio system for the artist to play a recording of themselves through. After listening to the recording, have the artist play the same piece for the audience live, with as close to the same interpretation as they care to do, and let everyone get a good idea of the distance we still need to cover in bridging the gap between "live, or Memorex?"

I think for a lot of people, this would be a serious eye-opener. I'm not trying to trash the experience we all have with our audio equipment at all, but I've heard this expression a few times too often: "Man, that sounds just like I'm there!"

Now, I know very well that if you are in a big venue, listening to the performers come out of their PA system, it may sound very close to what you hear on a good stereo system, since in both cases the music you hear is coming through a set of speakers. That's not what I'm talking about really. I'm thinking more along the lines of acoustic instruments or voices in an intimate setting.

The point? Well, educational for one, an interesting comparison for two, and for three, I'm hoping someone will be inspired enough to figure out how to get our audio gear to come closer to reproducing that experience as well as we can rock concerts/jazz concerts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom